Pregnancy underwater shot

armando_m

• Contributor
armando_m

Young pregnant mother , struggling under water to get a nice shot , all with the intention to keep a nice memory of this period in her life

I was afraid of not getting good images, but things did work out

Here is a SOOC image , after seeing this she repeatedly asked if I could fix it, and I replied "sure", I probably didn't sound to convincing as she kept asking
_DSC4168%20sooc-L.jpg
Edited / cropped

_DSC4168-crop.jpg

A few blurry patches maybe due to the plastic container I used, plus she used lotion to block the sun and it soon created a film which attached to the surface of my container , I had to remember to wipe it underwater every time I used it

• Like 1

Regards,

Armando

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• armando_m

• Alan7140

• Ron Scubadiver

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Young pregnant mother , struggling under water to get a nice shot , all with the intention to keep a nice memory of this period in her life   I was afraid of not getting good images, but things did

Alan, the container is a fish tank, I'm holding it from the edge of the pool, actually pushing it into the water, the camera is against one side of the container, I have a separate container in the ta

• Contributor
armando_m

Did you  use Adobe's new haze remover?

I did not

used 1 curve to add contrast

and a second curve to correct the skin tones , masked with an inverted blue channel

Regards,

Armando

• Contributor
Alan7140

So you put your camera that far under water in a plastic container? - that alone deserves a medal!

This is also an excellent bit of PP work, although I have to admit that I liked the reflections above her in the original. Did you have a look at keeping those with a vertical crop?

• Contributor
armando_m

Alan, the container is a fish tank, I'm holding it from the edge of the pool, actually pushing it into the water, the camera is against one side of the container, I have a separate container in the tank filled with rocks to act as ballast, in the end the camera is barely below the surface level, 10 cms maybe, and the tank is 20 cms deep

All shots done with the zoom at 24mm, pointing down towards the general direction of the model , I was surprised when I saw the impression that I was half a meter under water , while I kept dry the whole time

Edit with the reflection included , probably a vertical crop works well

_DSC4168-Edit-X2.jpg

Here is another one I like

_DSC3988-Edit.jpg

It probably needs more brightness ...I like the scene, she happened to dive right on the edge of sunlight and shade

Edit : replaced the last shot with a brighter one

Edited by armando_m
  • Like 1

Regards,

Armando

• Contributor
Alan7140

Anything where the bottom of the camera is deeper than the surface of the water is "deep" to me! :) Particularly trusting that none will get in the tank.

But the shot was sure worth it. Vertical crop, yes, and you have a real winner there. Particularly given the way the camera gave it to you so flat, green and murky-looking.

Guest DaveO

The corrected shot is really impressive.  I can't believe that you were able to get it from the original SOOC shot.  She should be very happy with the result.

• Contributor
armando_m

Thanks for the comments

I've learned quit a bit about editing thanks to the interactions in this site - many recommendations by Mrs Ann - I used PS, and lightroom. Correcting the fist image took me quite a while to figure it out, once I found what to do , it'll take me a few clicks on each image, doable in a couple of minutes

The correction I think would very difficult to achieve by using only CNX2 , or only LR.

Edited by armando_m

Regards,

Armando

• Contributor
armando_m

trade secrets? ... hardly

My steps were add a curves layer, set the white point before setting any highlight alerts, same for the shadow alerts

this produces a rich blue tone for the water, and uglier than the original skin tone

Add another curve to set the white balance , picking a spot somewhere where it should be gray, ie. her top

this give nice skin tones, ugly green tone in the water , play a bit with the red/green/blue curves to get the skin closer to what I like

To get back the nice blue tones in the water I'll mask the white balance layer using the red or an inverted blue channel, whichever has an initial higher contrast between the skin and water, I'll add more contrast on the mask with yet another curve Image/Adjustments/Curves , the objective is to get the corrected white balance on her skin while avoiding the correction in the water. Using the channels helps immensely , the alternative I'm familiar with is auto select, and brush corrections , and I'm pretty bad at that method, plus it takes me ages.

I'll do final adjustments in ACR because that's the tool I know how to play with the color HSL

change the blue more into purple, and lower luminosity

Finally add some clarity

maybe brush in some whites to the bubbles

The dehaze tools works very similar to the initial curves and also affects the overall whitebalance ( I think mostly the blue channel?), giving skin tones closer to what I'm looking for, but water tones away from what I wanted ...

Instead I choose to have the contrast / whitebalance in two separate layers and be able to control each

Regards,

Armando

• Contributor
Akira

To me, the shot with the reflection looks much better than the already impressive initial version.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Anthony

§4 makes her look like a mermaid.  Lovely.

• Contributor
Alan7140

#4 is a wonderful, graceful shot, but I think that #3 cropped vertical would do the "pregnant" thing better than #4. Remove the side distraction and she looks positively weightless, floating in space.