Alan7140

16mm f/1.4

Mooted and already talked about, but now official:

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n150416.html

Somewhere along the line in all the preamble I had missed the bit about WR - as a weather resistant partner to the X-T1 this could indeed be a very interesting "standard" setup for those who like the wider view of life. I have no doubt that this will be an absolutely stellar optical performer if the other two prime stars in the line-up (14/2.8 & 56/1.2) are any indication of what to expect.

Whenever I see the Fuji stuff I get the shakes of a GAS not completely cured

The prices and exchange rate  usually help calm down any severe attack

• Like 2

Regards,

Armando

Fuji has a set of lenses that is just getting nicer and nicer!

Fujifilm could have learned from Nikon with respect to hoods; the tulip-shaped hoods from my Nikkor 24/1.4 and Nikkor 35/1.4 make it possible to position the lens with body attached upside down on the fins of the  hood with enough stability.

Not so with the tulip-shaped hoods of the Fujifilm 14/2.8 and 23/1.4; the fins are not wide enough resulting in too little stability with the risk of the camera/lens falling over.

The metal hood for this new 16/1.4 seems perfectly suited for such a placement.

Admitting the convenience of the type of hood Noct mentioned, I would rather prefer a petal-shaped or cylindrical hood made of plastic which is larger but can absorb the shock well when it hit something hard.

Edited by Akira

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I like the shock absorption of plastic hoods, but the mask-style hood of the new 16mm looks way cool.

Behold: My "improved" 23mm hood(on the camera) and the 14mm standing on the front of it's hood.

Note: The 14mm is a bit unstable, and actually won't stand by itself on a soft surface, but could be improved by grinding the frontmost petals square.

post-1086-0-96162400-1429290062_thumb.jp

Edited by pluton

Keith B.

I had that severely and bought the X100T.

1300€ and your done

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

I'll be curious to see what the distortion is like on the new 16mm lens.  I've noticed that the promo copy does not mention "lack of distortion" as it had for the 14mm and 23mm lenses when they were released.

Keith B.

The type of hood for this 16/1.4 would be good for a wideangles whose petal hood tend to be large in diameter.

I realize that the 14/2.8 shows almost no distortion even without the software correction.  But the software correction would be of no problem at least for a single shot.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I like the shock absorption of plastic hoods, but the mask-style hood of the new 16mm looks way cool.

Behold: My "improved" 23mm hood(on the camera) and the 14mm standing on the front of it's hood.

Note: The 14mm is a bit unstable, and actually won't stand by itself on a soft surface, but could be improved by grinding the frontmost petals square.

The XPro1 with the OVF rendered useless. Interesting.

The 16mm f/1.4 comes standard with a petal-shaped hood; the metal hood with the rectangular opening is apparently an accessory that will be available later this year. The included petal-shaped hood is better than the one included with the 23mm f/1.4; camera and lens can be put upside down on it without the risk of falling over. I don't need the metal hood.

This lens, just a little larger than the 23/1.4, handles very well on the X-T1 and is imho optically in the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 league. A keeper.

• Like 1

The XPro1 with the OVF rendered useless. Interesting.

Without AF motors, the lenses could be much smaller in diameter.

Because they are afraid to sell lenses that don't have auto-focus(which I'd really like them to do), they sabotage their own camera.

Edited by pluton

Keith B.

Pluton: This made me buy the X100T. The lens is a perfect fit for the OVF and I use the OVF in 90% of cases.

I've just got the XF 16mm f/1.4 and I'm very happy so far. The distortion is similarly low to the XF 14mm f/2.8.

X-E2 & XF 16mm f/1.4 @ f/2.8; 1/450s; ISO 800:

post-2350-0-56184500-1434998905_thumb.jp

Edited by aerobat

Shallow DoF with X-E2 & XF 16mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4; 1/180s; ISO 800:

post-2350-0-52551400-1435002141_thumb.jp

Edited by aerobat

I've just got the XF 16mm f/1.4 and I'm very happy so far. The distortion is similarly low to the XF 14mm f/2.8.

Have you, by any chance, made a test shot with the lens/body contacts defeated, so the possibility of hidden software distortion correction can be ruled out?  Just curious...

Keith B.

Hi Pluton, I shoot RAW and they aren't corrected for distortions. Same applies for the 14mm. Both wide angle lens designs are highly corrected for linear distortions. You won't find this for a DSLR as it is much harder to design such a good wide angle lens with the bigger flange distance.

Edited by aerobat

The prices and exchange rate  usually help calm down any severe attack

It took me when I touched the lenses. It was just the X100T finder that saved me from buying into the X-T1-System

Hi Pluton, I shoot RAW and they aren't corrected for distortions. Same applies for the 14mm. Both wide angle lens designs are highly corrected for linear distortions. You won't find this for a DSLR as it is much harder to design such a good wide angle lens with the bigger flange distance.

That is good to hear...I have the 14, and the 23mm, which also is "fully corrected" fresh from the box.

Keith B.

The 16/1.4 is first, second and third top priority in my list of Fuji X lenses.

I'll just wait a little for the price to go down but will definitely get one at some point.

Simone

Hi Simone,

I can recommend the lens. It's definitely a good addition to the excellent prime lineup.

post-2350-0-64075700-1435526198_thumb.jp

Edited by aerobat

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.