afx

The Whiskey Foundation

Went to shoot The Whiskey Foundation at Muffathalle Thursday before Easter.

D750+AFS 80-200/2.8 and 85/1.8G.

In contrast to the concert in January the venue was packed so moving was not that easy.

The reach of the 80-200 plus my 2m height allowed me to shoot above the audience.

The Charles played as supporting act. They don't have a CD out yet,

but this youtube video shows a lot of promise. I really enjoyed their part.

AFX-2015-04-02-019-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-043-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-053-wm-L.jpg

Then came the main act, The Whiskey Foundation. The sound like The Doors came back with new music.

AFX-2015-04-02-194-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-376-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-381-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-513-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-878-wm-L.jpg

AFX-2015-04-02-894-wm-L.jpg

Here is the whole set: http://images.afximages.com/Concerts/The-Whiskey-Foundation/

Unfortunately I ran into a snag with the 80-200. The AF did not work reliable.

The AF motor often did not engage.

Shooting manual with multifocal glasses in a concert situation while keeping the cam position

high in portrait mode without a portrait grip is a recipe for frustration.

Not really conductive for a high keeper rate.

I did switch over to the 85 but that of course needed me to be closer and shooting

with moving bodies around me, also not very conductive to a high keeper rate.

Overall, I prefer shooting in smaller, less packed venues.

In January I already had the 80-200AFS at Nikon because of issues with the D750,

but it came back with a statement that there are no known issues.

Well, the lens works just fine with my D700 but not the D750 ;-(

It is back at Nikon right now.

cheers

afx

• Like 2

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

Af setting was completely irrelevant. The motor just would not engage most of the time.

cheers

afx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

Very nice images, Andreas! 

Did you add grain in some of them? 

Very nice images, Andreas!

Thanks Dallas!

Did you add grain in some of them?

Nope all natural (or by pulling up).

Only a little bit of NR applied, I'd rather have grain than plastic.

cheers

afx

Interesting. I don't know anything about the D750, but it looks like it might be a bit noisier than I recall the D700 being at 6400. 

I like them!  

Nikon D500, D700, Df, 18-140/3.5-5.6 VR, 20/2.8D, 28-105/3.5-4.5D, 50/1.8D, 60/2.8D Macro, 80-200/4.5-5.6, 300/4E PF, 35/2D,  Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC

Manual Focus Lenses:  Nikon 55/3.5 Micro pre-AI, 105/2.5 AI, ZY Mitakon Creator 85/2

Olympus PEN-F, EM5.2, Olympus 9mm f/8 Fisheye, 17/1.8, 75-300/4.8-6.7 II, Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN Art, ZY Mitakon 25/0.95

http://www.bestlightphoto.net | http://www.visualohio.com | http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com | Flickr | SCEENEINWINDOWS Project

Interesting. I don't know anything about the D750, but it looks like it might be a bit noisier than I recall the D700 being at 6400.

It is my hard processing and severe pushing...

I am still trying to find out how much pushability is there in the high ISO ranges.

In the lower ISOs it is absolutely amazing...

cheers

afx

Guest jramskov

Nice set of images afx, sorry to hear about your troubles with your 80-200mm. My 70-200 recently failed completely (AF didn't work at all) and an inspection told the sad truth: the AF engine had died and needed to be replaced. I'm still waiting to get it back, sadly the AF engine is out of stock at Nikon :(

As far as high iso performance, I think the D750 is clearly better than the D700 that I had before. ISO 4000 was the absolute max I would push my D700, I have no trouble using ISO 6400 and even ISO 12800 with the D750.

Nice set of images afx, sorry to hear about your troubles with your 80-200mm.

My 70-200 recently failed completely (AF didn't work at all) and an inspection told

the sad truth: the AF engine had died and needed to be replaced.

I'm still waiting to get it back, sadly the AF engine is out of stock at Nikon :(

Ouch!

I just received word from Cologne (the Nikon repair facility).

They want my D750 for examination as they can not find a flaw with my 80-200...

Drat, there is an A Capella concert I promised to shoot on Saturday, and the D700 is

definitely too loud for that.

If the lens is ok, I might be tempted to sell it when it returns,

as I can get a nearly pristine 70-200/v1 from my boss for a very good price.

As far as high iso performance, I think the D750 is clearly better than the D700 that I had before. ISO 4000 was the absolute max I would push my D700, I have no trouble using ISO 6400 and even ISO 12800 with the D750.

Absolutely, anything messy you see here is me...

(Meanwhile I have seen the images on an overly bright screen and you can see blocky shadows,

yuck, not visible on my 120cd screens).

cheers

afx

Very nice moments, specially 1# and 2#.

I had some problems with a 80-200 before. Same symptoms. It was the a-m ring not being secure. As subtle as a little touch in the wrong direction (with not perceptible movement) and it will switch to manual focus and disengage the motor.

Maybe they don´t touch it during test at nikon...

I am happy with the d700 up to 1600 iso and up to 3200 -and 6400 if needed- with the d750 so it is a big difference. The biggest difference is the sound though, a lot more quiet.

Never thought the thread could take this direction

I had some problems with a 80-200 before. Same symptoms. It was the a-m ring not being secure. As subtle as a little touch in the wrong direction (with not perceptible movement) and it will switch to manual focus and disengage the motor.

Maybe they don´t touch it during test at nikon...

I made explicitly sure I don't touch the focus ring, because that was my first suspicion...

I am happy with the d700 up to 1600 iso and up to 3200 -and 6400 if needed- with the d750 so it is a big difference. The biggest difference is the sound though, a lot more quiet.

What metering setting (en correction) do you use on stage?

This set was shot at highlight priority without correction.

cheers

afx

Guest jramskov

I apologize for sort of high jacking the thread, just wanted to show an example of high ISO performance from the D750 taken this past weekend.

ISO9000, F4/5, 1000/s. Edited in LR, including noise reduction:

post-2842-0-92768200-1429028519_thumb.jp

What metering setting (en correction) do you use on stage?
This set was shot at highlight priority without correction.

cheers
afx

I use point metering, manual mode, fixed ISO.  It is the only method that gives me consistent results with stage lights, specially whit black background. I have tried highlight priority and the "sunset exposure" (I don´t recall the exact name) setting in the d750 but I am not confident yet to use it when the shot counts.

ISO9000, F4/5, 1000/s. Edited in LR, including noise reduction:

Hmm, if that shot has no exposure corrections in post, I would think it needs barely any luminance NR

and only the default color NR in LR.

That sensor is very nice ;-)

I use point metering, manual mode, fixed ISO. 

It is the only method that gives me consistent results with stage lights,

specially whit black background.

I have tried highlight priority and the "sunset exposure" (I don´t recall the exact name)

setting in the d750 but I am not confident yet to use it when the shot counts.

So you basically adjust manually? Or do you have a constant stage lighting?

cheers

afx

Hmm, if that shot has no exposure corrections in post, I would think it needs barely any luminance NR

and only the default color NR in LR.

That sensor is very nice ;-)

So you basically adjust manually? Or do you have a constant stage lighting?

cheers

afx

I adjust manually which translates, with almost all stage lighting, doing it often.

I adjust manually which translates, with almost all stage lighting, doing it often.

Ouch...

the interesting stuff happens often so fast that I don't dare going all out manual.

Have to think about it for Saturday...

cheers

afx