Michael Erlewine

LED Continuous Lights and Close-up Lenses

I generally use natural light, and have, after trying it, not used flash much. In the last few years I have gotten into higher-end video (4K, 10-bit, ProRes, etc.) and gotten used to continuous light, including ARRI hot lights, various fluorescent banks, and most recently LED banks (with chimera), dimmers, and variable temperatures.

I am just beginning to experiment with LED continuous light at 5600k for still-camera use. I just bought the Ikan iLED312-V2 on-camera dual-color LED light, a small LED system, with dimmer and choice of light temperature. I am just a beginner in this arena, and wonder if any of you have looked into LED lights for close-up, macro, and so-on use? I have a ring-flash/continuous light, but am finding that a small bank of LED in the hot-shoe or on a small stand seems less cumbersome and more useful.

How close do LED lights come to being useable as daylight? What are the best brands and models?

I am getting my feet wet here and wonder if anyone else has more than their toe in the water? Let’s discuss this, if there is interest.

post-2886-0-01309300-1428065905_thumb.jp

post-2886-0-75334200-1428065911_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com