wildoat

VW Golf......2 images.

Please view large, thanks.

any comments welcome.

Both captured with nikon D800e and Nikon 400mm f2.8e fl, tripod, natural lighting.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Edited by wildoat
  • Like 2

mk7 right ?

very nice details, I like the color reflections in the headlight

I have always liked the golf and owned a few, the modern ones have become quite refined

Regards,

Armando

Nice details of a nice little auto.

The only critique I would have here is the somewhat distracting reflections in the headlight lenses.  I wonder if one could avoid, or at least minimize, those with a polarizing filter.

The golf would have been my next auto except for a rather stodgy VW USA organization.  While VW Germany has no problem with towing a manual shift golf behind a coach, VW USA will not sanction the practice and threatens a voided warranty.  Go figure!

Regards,

Bill

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. Oscar Wilde

I like number two and the emphasis that b&w gives on the shape of the head light.

mk7 right ?

very nice details, I like the color reflections in the headlight

I have always liked the golf and owned a few, the modern ones have become quite refined

You are right Armando,

I too have owned VW's over the years, including Golf Gti"s, the new MKVII

is a superbly refined and efficient car, perhaps a bit bland for some but it has some exquisite 

design details, at least to the trained eye  :D  :)

Nice details of a nice little auto.

The only critique I would have here is the somewhat distracting reflections in the headlight lenses.  I wonder if one could avoid, or at least minimize, those with a polarizing filter.

The golf would have been my next auto except for a rather stodgy VW USA organization.  While VW Germany has no problem with towing a manual shift golf behind a coach, VW USA will not sanction the practice and threatens a voided warranty.  Go figure!

Thanks Bill,

I guess reflections could be reduced, on this occasion I was experimenting 

with how the focus falls off and the way the lens renders out of focus elements, 

I'm very pleased with the results.

Perhaps it could cause problems with lack of lubrication to the drivetrain components

if towing a vehicle with the driven wheels in contact with the ground for extended periods.

I like number two and the emphasis that b&w gives on the shape of the head light.

Thanks for looking and commenting Bjorn.

Edited by wildoat

Nice shooting as always Tony but as far as the VW brand is concerned, Mongo would rather walk the rest of his life than buy anything made by VW - Das Junk !

You'll find if you photograph modern headlight covers with a polarizer, they produce a rainbow hue of stress marks from the plastic setting process - the covers haven't been glass for sometime. They also have next to no refractive properties any more, unlike traditional glass covers which did actually shape the beam; Now it's all done in the reflector behind the bulb.

"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton

You'll find if you photograph modern headlight covers with a polarizer, they produce a rainbow hue of stress marks from the plastic setting process - the covers haven't been glass for sometime. They also have next to no refractive properties any more, unlike traditional glass covers which did actually shape the beam; Now it's all done in the reflector behind the bulb.

I was aware that the headlight covers were plastic.  On my last auto those covers glazed over so much that I had to use a "polishing kit" (i.e. several progressively finer levels of sandpaper followed by polishing compund) to clear them up.  I was, however, not aware of the rainbow hue from imaging them through a polarizer.  I guess one needs some extensive screening to avoid unwanted reflections in these covers when taking outdorr images then.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Bill

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. Oscar Wilde

Guest helioer

Nice set, #2 is my favourite.

Golf is a durable car. One guy in my team drove 1.1 million kilometers with a turbo diesel Golf without any major engine repairs before retiring it...

Golf is a durable car. One guy in my team drove 1.1 million kilometers with a turbo diesel Golf without any major engine repairs before retiring it...

It can't be a real VW.

Our new VW engined car uses 1.8 litres of oil every 1000kms ! that is 27 litres between services at a cost of over $760 just for oil between services. Mongo repeats - Das Junk !!!

Das Junk? - Skoda?

• Like 1

It can't be a real VW.

Our new VW engined car uses 1.8 litres of oil every 1000kms ! that is 27 litres between services at a cost of over $760 just for oil between services. Mongo repeats - Das Junk !!!

Just judging from one sample for the whole brand seems a bit silly to me.

I'd be at the dealer right away screaming bloody murder to get that fixed.

Das Junk? - Skoda?

Skoda by now has a higher reliability rate within Volkswagen than Audi...

I'll probably replace my A6 (currently at 290K) with a Superb when it falls apart.

cheers

afx

• Like 1

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

It can't be a real VW.

Mongo that does sound like excessive oil consumption.

My golf used about two litres between services(12000 miles).

Now it's got twenty thousand on the clock and doesn't appear to consume

Any oil now.

Funny every German engined vehicle I've owned from new has consumed oil

Initially , after a certain mileage the oil consumption seems to stop.!

Edited by wildoat
  • Like 1

Das Junk? - Skoda?

yes Alan ....but it has a commonly shared VW engine and gearbox - so, its a VW

Just judging from one sample for the whole brand seems a bit silly to me.

I'd be at the dealer right away screaming bloody murder to get that fixed.

Skoda by now has a higher reliability rate within Volkswagen than Audi...

I'll probably replace my A6 (currently at 290K) with a Superb when it falls apart.

cheers

afx

Not judging VW by one case only afx - Mongo is not that simple. Found out after some personal research that this happens in about 25% of cars with this engine - that means there are thousands, not just one.  You may have been lucky with the one you have but the more recent models have problems. Think twice before replacing it with another VW built engine...!

Mongo that does sound like excessive oil consumption.

My golf used about two litres between services(12000 miles).

Now it's got twenty thousand on the clock and doesn't appear to consume

Any oil now.

Funny every German engined vehicle I've owned from new has consumed oil

Initially , after a certain mileage the oil consumption seems to stop.!

Tony, Mongo is really livered with this and has commenced legal proceedings a few months ago and is currently continuing. VW are currently fighting to prevent it from having to produce documents relating to the number of cars that have had this problem - that says it all.

One thing Mongo is very grateful to you for is the possible knowledge that it may get better with some use and milage but it does not excuse VW for selling it in the first place knowing there was a very high probability it was faulty at point of sale. It should have withdrawn them form sale and checked each before seller them to consumers. Almost bought a gulf GTI or type "R" but glad Mongo did not now. It would have been a bigger loss and disappointment.

One thing Mongo is also sorry about is that he seriously did not mean to sidetrack your thread and sincerely apologises and will say no more about this VW subject. Mongo hopes others who read this will not comment unless it is about your posted images. Again, Mongo's apologies.

Edited by Mongo

yes Alan ....but it has a commonly shared VW engine and gearbox - so, its a VW

Not judging VW by one case only afx - Mongo is not that simple. Found out after some personal research that this happens in about 25% of cars with this engine - that means there are thousands, not just one.  You may have been lucky with the one you have but the more recent models have problems. Think twice before replacing it with another VW built engine...!

Tony, Mongo is really livered with this and has commenced legal proceedings a few months ago and is currently continuing. VW are currently fighting to prevent it from having to produce documents relating to the number of cars that have had this problem - that says it all.

One thing Mongo is very grateful to you for is the possible knowledge that it may get better with some use and milage but it does not excuse VW for selling it in the first place knowing there was a very high probability it was faulty at point of sale. It should have withdrawn them form sale and checked each before seller them to consumers. Almost bought a gulf GTI or type "R" but glad Mongo did not now. It would have been a bigger loss and disappointment.

One thing Mongo is also sorry about is that he seriously did not mean to sidetrack your thread and sincerely apologises and will say no more about this VW subject. Mongo hopes others who read this will not comment unless it is about your posted images. Again, Mongo's apologies.

Mongo,

I'm not worried in the slightest about you "sidetrack" the thread.

Interestingly I've owned several new BMW motorbikes, flat twins and inline fours which

also consumed oil heavily in the early part of their lives.

In the case of the flat twins(R1100GS/R1200GS/R1100RT), 

they used so much oil that it required me to carry spare oil on any trip over a couple of hundred

miles or so, then almost as if by magic once these machines reached approx12,000 miles the 

oil consumption stopped. On every occasion I voiced my displeasure to the franchises who sold

me the machines, they always answered that it was simply a characteristic of their engines!

Obviously they don't mention this in the accompanying sales literature when one is

considering purchasing one in the first place!

I've also owned lots of new Japanese vehicles over the years, both cars and bikes, not one single

one of them has ever required the oil to be topped-up between services, in fact I'd say they

never consumed any oil at all.

Engine oil seems to cost a fortune in your part of the world £14 p/ltr !

I wish you well with your ongoing legal battles, the man in the street rarely seems to

fare well against such large organisations/ companies in my experience.

A few years back we bought a new Mercedes, it had 29 faults develop in the first seven

months of ownership, it took us almost a year to get them to accept the vehicle

wasn't fit for purpose, hence I'll never buy another Mercedes!

tony

Edited by wildoat

oil consumption when new, yes I had some of that on the VW's I owned

1.8L 8v carburated 4cylinder, used about 1 Lt every 5000km until it reached 15,000 kms (1980's)

1.8L 8V fuel injection 4 cylinder, same as above, 1990s

1.8L 20 V turbo , used 1L until it reached about 20,000kms, then kept using about 0.5L between services (2002)

1.9L Turbo diesel, got it used with about 10,000kms, did not use oil (2010)

2.5L 5 cylinder , gasoline , new, does not use oil (2013)

Which engine does your car have Mongo?

• Like 2

Regards,

Armando

Our car has the twin charged (i.e supercharged and turbocharged 1.4 litre petrol engine) used in Gulf Polo GTI, Skoda RS and Audi A1.

Seems to be a sign of sticking with a certain philosophy of manufacture rather than moving on. If I recall, in the 20th Century the philosophy was to more tightly fit piston mating surfaces and allow them to bed in through use to a perfect fit, which consumed oil at first as parts wore to fit through friction, latter-day manufacturing more commonly is towards exact fit at manufacturing stage rather than the previous "running-in" approach, largely, I gather, to take the user out of the reliability equation by relying on them following strict running-in rules, which are not easy to follow in today's traffic conditions. Things like avoiding stop-start situations....

In contrast I had a succession of Range Rovers between 1978 and 1994 and all leaked oil at a rate that allowed one to judge oil levels in the engine and gearbox merely by looking at the ground they had been parked on overnight, although the engines as a rule did not burn oil (based on the Buick alloy V8 of the late '60's). However the last one, which had the then new 3.9l V8 actually used and leaked oil at the rate of about 1L every 800km, even at 80,000km. That was about the time BMW owned the company, which might explain this. ;)

In stark contrast to the RRs, and after a 16 year gap while owning a Honda Prelude which still wasn't using any oil at 325,000km when the rest of the car started failing, I went back to Land Rover and, as mentioned in a previous thread, bought a new Freelander 2 (LR2). Not only has it been trouble free, it uses no oil and has zero leaks anywhere, and also has the best dust-sealed cabin I've ever had. At 70,000 km the diesel engine is still clean, only dirt-road dust dulling its otherwise showroom condition. Ford owned the company when this vehicle was designed using Ford's EU parts bin (Mondeo floor-pan, PSA engine, FoMoCo/Aisin transmission, Haldex 4x4 drive etc), so yet another manufacturing philosophy involved.

In a way it's interesting to read about the VW/Skoda experience, because the Octavia Scout was one of the vehicles on my short-list before buying the Freelander 2.

• Like 1

a quick web search revealed the amount of problems with the 1.4 twincharged engine

I saw a recall for the vw polo gti ...

but sometimes other brands / countries do not do it ...

so sad for all the affected drivers

seems like camera problems with a kNown braNd

• Like 1

Regards,

Armando