Guest Colin-M

Am I dreaming? No, it's the usual nightmare :(

Guest Colin-M

Hang on, this could be the perfect weekend for an Englishman!
- The cricket team have actually managed to score over 300 runs in a World Cup game
- The rugby team are set for a monumental showdown with Ireland in 13 hours time, that could set up the winner of the 6 Nations competition

However Sunday could bring things crashing back to Earth, if Sri Lanka and Ireland get their act together :(
Guess we'll just have to savour this brief moment of reverie......

Edited by Colin-M

What's Cricket?... a bug?

(just kidding...)

It's a cross between chess and war, accompanied by afternoon tea...

• Like 3

"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton

Cricket is the sport of kings. :) 

I don't watch rugby union anymore. This constant referring to television referees on just about every score has completely spoiled the sport for me. That and the fact that the rules seem to change every season make viewing it more frustrating than waiting for my football team Everton to win the Barclays Premier League. 

Guest Colin-M

It's a cross between chess and war, accompanied by afternoon tea...

Mmmm, did they actually need time for afternoon tea today?

Guest Colin-M

Cricket is the sport of kings.  :)

But any illusion my own national team had of being in the royal family disappeared many years ago, as the queen's loyal "subjects" looked at what they'd had handed to them and offered up some improvements of their own!!

....more frustrating than waiting for my football team Everton to win the Barclays Premier League. 

Hey, you and me both! A friend was telling me yesterday that Everton & Arsenal are the only teams never to have dropped out of the top division in English soccer. I think Arsenal can draw more comfort from the time they've spent near the top of that division though.

And ironically the first game I was even taken to see as a small kid was Arsenal v. Everton. Arsenal won and in my lifelong trait of standing up for the underdog, I decided I'd support Everton.

Dallas, you can maybe draw some comfort from the fact that they're the only UK club still in a European club competition this week. If you know anyone from the city of Liverpool, this may be a useful grenade to lob into conversation (before ducking, to watch the fireworks).

Edited by Colin-M

Sorry England. :(

I don't expect South Africa to do much better moving further into this competition. The modern game has all become about batting, thanks to T20 cricket. Bowling has become about as skilful as throwing stones into the sea these days. If you don't have the quality bowlers you can pretty much forget about winning tournaments like this. It all comes down to the batting. Friday's game we played against West Indies is evidence of this. Our so-called best fast bowlers in the world hardly made any impact on the match (I don't think much of Dale Steyn at all). If it wasn't for the abnormality of AB de Villiers' batting and the quirk of Imran Tahir we would not have had a hell of a lot to shout about. You can't win tournaments with only a couple of gifted players. It's a whole team effort. Expect the Proteas to fold as usual when the pressure mounts. The teams from the sub-continent know how to win this tournament. We, unfortunately don't. 

Anyway, thanks for the info on Everton. I am unfortunately plagued by an army of Liverpool supporters wherever I go. Most of my mates and family are on the red side. :) I've been an Everton supporter since the early 80's. I think that Martinez inherited a lot of momentum from poor old David Moyes (Van Gaal probably did too!), so I don't expect to see too much more of him around if we can't get back into the top half of the league by the end of the season. Lots of Toffee supporters are starting the chant to have him shown the door already. Let's hope we can ruin Wenger's day later today. :D

Colin "nightmare" is the correct word to use, better that TV coverage is banned.  :unsure:  :bad:  :huh:

don't give that Zuid Afrikan geezer any more ammunition.  :wink:

Edited by Mike G

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Guest Colin-M

So, at least Ireland's luck ran out today (I'm still bitter after Sundays rugby, though they won that fair & square)

The trouble is that England's cricketers will probably get knocked out of the World Cup before Ireland....

And as for our South African host, his boys are currently riding an express train!

They don't call us the "chokers" for nothing, ey.  :unsure:

Guest Colin-M

Oh dear.....

...... I'll get my coat :(

post-5559-0-35568100-1425901538_thumb.jp

I think this game needs to change the way its played, personally. For years I have been saying that if they want to level it out a bit they should play it like a mini test match with 2 innings of 25 overs per side. It would make it much more interesting to watch and follow from a strategic stance as far as I am concerned. Right now it's a lottery. We'll be the next ones out of the competition. Mark my worlds. 

Guest Colin-M

...they should play it like a mini test match with 2 innings of 25 overs per side. It would make it much more interesting to watch and follow from a strategic stance as far as I am concerned. 

I'd like to see some games like this.

I do struggle to keep interested in the current one day 50 over games (I'd rather watch a day of Test cricket where the result is still undecided at the end, than a one day match).

Meanwhile, I bet England's previous captain Alastair Cook is wearing a wry smile today.

I think the problem with introducing a format like that comes down to the ICC and who they cow-toe to. The bigger cricketing nations like India and Australia have much to do with what gets decided at that level, so if it is to come about then they would need to be motivating it from their end. ICC tends not to listen to countries with smaller cricket audiences. 

I think this game needs to change the way its played, personally. For years I have been saying that if they want to level it out a bit they should play it like a mini test match with 2 innings of 25 overs per side. It would make it much more interesting to watch and follow from a strategic stance as far as I am concerned. Right now it's a lottery. We'll be the next ones out of the competition. Mark my worlds.

Don't you get t20 format over there? it seems they are pushing it hard here in Australia. 20 overs each, fireworks, cheerleaders, etc.

We do. I don't watch it - it's even worse than 50 over games as far as the lottery aspect goes. 

Guest Colin-M

Congratulations to Ireland.

What a bucketload of points on the final weekend of the 6 Nations competition too!

But if England had played better against Ireland a few weeks ago, just maybe they would have deserved to finish top.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.