Alan7140

Another little one

Thanks, guys.

I never thought of stacking being in the "grab-shot" genre, but this was exactly that. :D

I've identified what it is - Cloeon paradieniense, of the mayfly family.

impressive detail, well worth viewing large!  :good:

Ahhh, so it's May in Oz?

I love the tones, structures & shapes you've helped make clear on the body and along the wing, esp. when viewed in the large version.

Incredible!  With the mushy focusing screens on the current generation of Nikon DSLR's (excepting the Df) I doubt that I could even get the micro focused on a little critter like that in 40 seconds, let alone take multiple shots to stack ;) .

Superb detail worthy of a really big enlargement.

Thanks for the comments. :)

For sure the EVF with focus peaking helps no end in delivering rapid and accurate indication of where the plane of focus is and how much to shift it between shots, The real hero is that magnificent Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M lens, however. The focus-by-wire is absolutely smooth and progressive (even near 1:1), and the rendering of this lens is simply superb.

Finding oneself in possession of a camera that can fully use this optic demands its purchase. It's a decision that won't be regretted.

Fascinating to see all these details in the little insect. Good to see that the Zeiss 50/2.8 works well for you, Alan.

Focus by wire works very well once you get the hang on it, and is the most accurate way of manual focusing a lens. The focusing throw is better than any MF glass I've used, if I move the focusing ring slowly.

Fascinating to see all these details in the little insect. Good to see that the Zeiss 50/2.8 works well for you, Alan.

Focus by wire works very well once you get the hang on it, and is the most accurate way of manual focusing a lens. The focusing throw is better than any MF glass I've used, if I move the focusing ring slowly.

Indeed, Bjørn, the trick is to move it slowly, but that is made easy by the velvet-smooth action that Zeiss builds into it.

It is smoother than any of my Fuji lenses, although not by much, and is fully complemented by that smooth but grippy focussing ring grip. A lot of Internet feedback has been less than complimentary about that aspect, but I think it is a brilliant idea and one that should be used by default for focussing rings. Knurled metal or bumpy rubber, let alone fake-knurled plastic don't come close to this for comfort and secure grip.