Very cool series...

... which ended very humorously with one of Dallas' Google ads promoting an aircraft maintenance school!

• Like 1

Regards,

Bill

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken. Oscar Wilde

Nice series of a very wide variety of war birds, most of which I've never actually seen in real life.

I've only ever seen the Mustang and Tiger Moth in actual flight and up close. Being ex-British Empire, Australia kept much of its earlier air force as British manufactured aircraft. Although it flew Mustangs in WW2 & Korea, front-line aircraft were mainly of European origin until the F-111 and F/A-18 headed the serious stuff from the 1970's. I have seen Avon Sabre jets in flight here, but they were being replaced by the Mirage when we arrived from South Africa in 1964. Prior to the F-111, Australia's front-line bomber was the English Electric Canberra.

Thanks Luc for this series. The former Army museum that was housed in The Armamentarium in Delft has also been integrated into this new museum. I'm not sure if any other military museums are now in there as well. The NF-5 (Dutch version of the F-5) and the Fokker F-27 (and maybe more aircraft) were previously used in the aircraft's mechanics school of ROC van Amsterdam in Hoofddorp. They are my neighbours at work and friends work there. So I go over there regularly to have coffee and know the aircraft in the state that they were in before they were restored for their new home. The new museum looks fantastic and from what I hear you can now also walk and cycle on the former Soesterberg Air Force Base perimeters.

Actually I was about to go there during the Christmas holidays with my son. When we were about to get into the car we heard on the news that all access roads to the museum were closed due to the enormous numbers of museum visitors. Your photos convinced me to plan a visit shortly.

Next week I'll be in Phoenix AZ for work and there is the Commemorative Air Force Museum of Mesa at the airfield that I go to for work. I'll try to block a couple of hours from my calendar to visit and take some photos.

• Like 1

Thanks all watching and commenting on these images.

Vivion, Maarten this museum is really worth a visit. Lots to see and do both for adults and youth. On weekends it's very crowded, I was there on early Friday morning it was quiet until about noon. I didn't walk or cycle the grounds of the former air base, I'll keep that for later. I live very nearby so I can visit any time I like. Maarten, looking forward to you posting more of your aircraft images. Have a good time in the USA.

Edited by Luc de Schepper

Guest Guest_DR

Next week I'll be in Phoenix AZ for work and there is the Commemorative Air Force Museum of Mesa at the airfield that I go to for work. I'll try to block a couple of hours from my calendar to visit and take some photos.

You will enjoy it, a great museum. Don't be surprised if you see RAF flags and Union Jacks flying. During the second WW before Pearl Harbour and US entry this was one of the semi secret RAF training centres a friendly US government had set up for the UK.