Marco Lanciani

Infrared Panorama of Rome

My old Nikon D80 is now converted to IR 830.

This is my first IR image... actually an IR panorama.

post-5937-0-95130100-1421093055_thumb.jp

It was taken a few days ago from the "Passeggiata del Gianicolo", near a lighthouse, where you can have a nice view over Rome and its surrounding mountains in the background... clearly visible in IR; not so in visible light.

The NEF was developed and converted to BW in Lr; some extra editing, punch and contrast, was done in Nik Silver Efex.

Edited by Marco Lanciani

Indeed this is excellent as the first image in IR, but given the quality of your usual images, it is not really surprising.  :)

Which software did you use for the pano stitch?

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Nice image with beautiful sky, but I'd like it with more buildings and less greenery.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Guest Colin-M

Nice image with beautiful sky, but I'd like it with more buildings and less greenery.

I'd agree with this.

Keep the sky (excellent) but try it with 20% less foliage.

Thanks, Marco.  PT Gui seems to do an excellent job.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Guest jramskov

I prefer the second version. That sky is great.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dallas
      I did some property photography down our south coast yesterday. This place is right on the beach, so I did a 180˚ panorama standing near the shoreline. Not the greatest bit of stitching Lightroom has ever done - you can see where it messed up the horizon on the ocean. 

• By Greg Drawbaugh
      I have a spare micro 4/3 body that no longer sees service, a Panasonic GX-7.  I was looking at having it converted to an IR camera by https://www.lifepixel.com/  Does anyone else have any experience with a converted Micro 4/3 body and lenses shooting IR?  Which conversion do you go with, the standard IR?  My goal is to have some fun and explore an area of photography I have never tried before, and the redundant body with little resale value seemed like a good choice to try?
    • Guest Alaun
      By Guest Alaun
      Taken with D200IR with 7x0 nm filter

Werner

• By otoien
      There is a long time since the last revision of Microsoft's free panorama package, so the update to version 2.0  is a bit of surprise.
      http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/

Apart from a revised user interface, a new feature in this version is the "autocomplete" function.
      While large areas like the example below can be a bit funky, I have often done stitches where a bit of the sky is missing, and I think it can be useful and do a very good job with that.

Here is the stitch screen where one can also rotate the image. I did not intend these two images as a panorama, in fact they a shot with two different zoom settings, 14 and 16mm, so projection is a not the best...

Autocomplete. I would crop out most of the autocompleted rocks in the foreground.

If rotating motion is selected, one will get a choice of a number of projection tweaks, now much expanded compared to the previous version. Of course this projection does not stitch well here because of the different focal length the images were shot at.

There is also an advanced mode that will do Gigapan generated images of unlimited size, and several new import options. It will now read 16bit files, and can also use raw images if a raw (WIC) codec is present.

A bit irritating is that there is an advertisement on the first screen.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.