afx

Winter Festival @Muffatwerk - First concert with the D750

Three young local bands playing at Muffatwerk in Munich.

Mostly monochrome light from the back. Extreme contrasts are guaranteed.

The D750 is really amazing, but can not perform miracles...

Some of my favorites:

The Black Submarines

AFX-20150102-030-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-098-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-124-wm-L.jpg

The Capitols

A lead singer with an attitude (and a base player with a very cool voice)

AFX-20150102-139-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-148-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-183-wm-L.jpg

The Whiskey Foundation

(sounded like a re-incarnation of the Doors, but not a cover band, they played their own songs. Quite interesting....)

AFX-20150102-360-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-454-wm-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-461-wm-L.jpg

An example of how bad the light was:

Original:

i-HghDmd7-L.jpg

Processed:

AFX-20150102-002-wm-L.jpg

I used an interesting trick for this set.

I used Click-WB on something that should be sort of neutral.

And only then converted to B&W.

This resulted in a lot less posterization and better highlight control.

Typically the WB would be either stuck at the low or high end. LR is a bit limited in that regard, other converteds (C1, AS) can reach lower.

The drummers where all in really bad light. No decent shots ;-(

Here is the complete set: http://images.afximages.com/Concerts/Muffathalle-Winterfest/

Most images with the D750 and the 85/1.8G, some with the D700 and the 50/1.8G and one or two with a Sigma 24/1.8.

cheers

afx

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

Guest Colin-M

Interesting selection AFX and looks like you had a good time.

On the plus side, I'd commend these to anyone who posts "please view large". These ones opened in a separate tab and it was actually possible to view them at a decent size on a 24 inch monitor.

A question: I thought the colour version of "How bad the light was" actually showed some more detail in the face than the B&W version. Guess this just reflects the PP options you chose?

The last time I shot a concert in similarly challenging lighting condition was with D40 (LOL), and the color sample for the bad light suggests that it still is quite a bit of torture even for today's most capable camera.

That said, I believe that the most important task of the stage photographer is to capture the critical moments of the musicians and the atmosphere of the room.  So, you've done a really good job here, Andreas!

I was not aware of Muffatwerk in Munich.  When was it opened?

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

I think these images are great.

You and your camera did a very fine job.

Love the dynamic you have captured, excellent.  :)  :good:

Tony

Excellent series.  Thanks for sharing these.

Nikon D500, D700, Df, 18-140/3.5-5.6 VR, 20/2.8D, 28-105/3.5-4.5D, 50/1.8D, 60/2.8D Macro, 80-200/4.5-5.6, 300/4E PF, 35/2D,  Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC

Manual Focus Lenses:  Nikon 55/3.5 Micro pre-AI, 105/2.5 AI, ZY Mitakon Creator 85/2

Olympus PEN-F, EM5.2, Olympus 9mm f/8 Fisheye, 17/1.8, 75-300/4.8-6.7 II, Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN Art, ZY Mitakon 25/0.95

http://www.bestlightphoto.net | http://www.visualohio.com | http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com | Flickr | SCEENEINWINDOWS Project

Well done. I like the B&Ws ... They're crispy sharp

Rags

Guest Airee

And I like the mood conveyed by the lone singer on the shot preceding the color one

Thanks guys,

glad you like them!

On the plus side, I'd commend these to anyone who posts "please view large". These ones opened in a separate tab and it was actually possible to view them at a decent size on a 24 inch monitor.

Images are hyperlinked to the originally uploaded size (1600pix longest side), and yes, the look better full size ;-)

A question: I thought the colour version of "How bad the light was" actually showed some more detail in the face than the B&W version. Guess this just reflects the PP options you chose?

Hmmm,

here is a screenshot of a 100% comparison:

post-206-0-39953100-1420798367_thumb.jpg

I think I see more structure in the BW version.

Another example, which I think shows the situation better than the one I posted initially:

i-SKxQkKr-L.jpg

AFX-20150102-226-wm-L.jpg

The last time I shot a concert in similarly challenging lighting condition was with D40 (LOL), and the color sample for the bad light suggests that it still is quite a bit of torture even for today's most capable camera.

Absolutely. I still wish I had the funds for a D4s.

I was not aware of Muffatwerk in Munich.  When was it opened?

No idea, it has been there for more then a decade...

Their Beergarden opened in 2002, but the concert venue is much older I think.

cheers

afx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Arca plates compatibility matrix // sRGB clipping sucks and Adobe RGB is just as bad // Images on images.afximages.com

Thanks, Andreas, for the details.  I lived in Munich from the autumn 1982 to the next summer.  I never heard of Muffatwerk.  I did go to the jazz clubs like Unterfarht or Vielharmonie.  Old story!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Guest Foveola

Andreas:

Lots of fun!  #8 is my favorite, like the detail and textures.

Cheers

Randyu

Numbers #2, #4 and #9 for me. Jealous of your new toy! Did you have to crop a lot because of the fixed focal lenght or were you able to move around -or something else? i like to see what calls your attention.

Thanks for sharing

Never thought the thread could take this direction

Guest jramskov

Very nice - envious of your D750.

Jealous of your new toy!

I sold my AFS 300/2.8 ;-(

Just before the new 300/4 was announced. Good timing me thinks.

I hope I get around to do a little writeup on the D750 this weekend.

Did you have to crop a lot because of the fixed focal lenght or were you able to move around

Both.

No restrictions, it was a free concert and I wouldn't even have needed to ask....

But it was quite crowded especially after the first band. So movement was not as easy as I would have liked it.

cheers

afx