Lars Hansen

Yellow Ginkgo

Thanks Fons - added a few more (quickly processed) to give you an impression of its size. 

Edited by Lars Hansen
  • Like 1

That is a gorgeous tree, Lars.  My only experience with the Gingko was with a female tree, which bordered the parking lot of an office building where I often worked as a contractor.  I quickly learned not to park under the tree when the fruit was dropping, because they smelled like the most vile vomit.  I guess the seeds must not smell, but I'd hate to harvest them.

Our boss liked to play practical jokes on us, and after a particularly trying day of putting up with him we placed an old toilet in the back of his station wagon and a few Gingko fruits under his floor mat. :bad:

Cool image.  The tree makes a nice carpet of leaves underneath.

That is a magnificent specimen of one of my favourite trees.

If it is femail and fruits, the seeds make a delicious vegetable which is highly esteemed in China.

Thanks Ann - not far from this tree is one of your other favourites - a Metasequoia - Dawn Redwood?

I don't know if it's a female - I'll try to find out next season. I don't remember having ever seen any signs of fruits  ... with Rick's comments I would be a bit reluctant to try the seeds :)

Edited by Lars Hansen

That is a gorgeous tree, Lars.  My only experience with the Gingko was with a female tree, which bordered the parking lot of an office building where I often worked as a contractor.  I quickly learned not to park under the tree when the fruit was dropping, because they smelled like the most vile vomit.  I guess the seeds must not smell, but I'd hate to harvest them.

Our boss liked to play practical jokes on us, and after a particularly trying day of putting up with him we placed an old toilet in the back of his station wagon and a few Gingko fruits under his floor mat. :bad:

Thanks Rick - it does have an great impact on its surroundings and especially in the autumn. As I wrote to Ann, I haven't noticed any fruits but I'll check next year... I've never seen anybody having a picknick under that tree in the late summer btw..

A nice way to get some payback - I can imagine it took him a while to locate the source of the smell  :D 

Cool image.  The tree makes a nice carpet of leaves underneath.

Thanks Bill - yes, the yellow carpet is definitely part of the scenery. The staff in the park removes it so timing is needed to get the shot.