Sign in to follow this  
otoien

IR approach to Gardemoen

False color IR captured just before the the final approach to Gardemoen Airport (OSL) with my D40x IR-720nm and the trusty 105mm f/2.5 (from 2012) :

p47580624.jpg

Edited by otoien

Øivind

Guest nfoto

Very nice false-colour in the EIR fashion..... You might possibly tweak to get a little more detail in the redness, though.

Took me more than a few minutes (6, in fact) to locate the scene (it is evidently River Glåma in Østerdalen south of Elverum, around Jømna. Thus your landing approach was from the north).

Guest nfoto

Here is the appropriate topographic map area.

post-15-0-85389900-1402920807_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comment, and effort in localisation.You are quite correct, it was a flight from Tromsø. I struggled with the details in the reds (it is a difficult balance between getting them nicely saturated and washed out/overexposed), and admittedly, the shutter speed might have been on the long side or I did not quite hit with my IR shift compensation, so the details could have been better to start with. 

Edit: Nice map!

Edited by otoien

Øivind

Guest nfoto

"Efforts in localisation" -- only because I recognised the river immediately, but not the whereabouts. I quickly discarded the idea your approach was from south, though, due to the combination of a major road and a railroad on the right hand side. So it was just a matter of patience and time moving the search area along the river further up north .....

Out of curiosity, what software did you use in the processing? I have returned to Aftershot Pro as it now is v.2 and deals with the modern cameras (at least all I own). ASP2 comes in 32- and 64-bit flavours, and I have both installed to make the most of the plugins (most of which won't work in a 64-bit environment yet). Sometimes I combine output from ASP and PhotoNinja as the former usually cannot match the clarity of the former and the latter restricts the colours found in an IR imasge due to the lack of appopriate tools for the purpose.

Oops forgot to answer 

Out of curiosity, what software did you use in the processing? I have returned to Aftershot Pro as it now is v.2 and deals with the modern cameras (at least all I own). ASP2 comes in 32- and 64-bit flavours, and I have both installed to make the most of the plugins (most of which won't work in a 64-bit environment yet). Sometimes I combine output from ASP and PhotoNinja as the former usually cannot match the clarity of the former and the latter restricts the colours found in an IR imasge due to the lack of appopriate tools for the purpose.

Oops, I forgot to answer this one  - somehow I overlooked the second part of the post:

I used CNX2 for the processing as I have always been doing with IR images up to now. It involved several color balance steps, moving (but not swapping) a channel range with the LCH editor, and a number of color control points. Interesting that ASP2 again has enough support to be used; during my recent comparison in a VM it was definitely one of the programs with the best user interface and also with enough effects on the sliders to be usable for IR editing.

Øivind