of her time ...

My wife wanted me to attempt a portrait similar to a painting we saw while on vacation last december , finally we had some time at the beginning of feb and I finally got to process it

She is not very patient with me taking pictures of her, so I need to be quick.

post-11004-0-84647500-1392845930_thumb.j

post-11004-0-16919200-1392846166_thumb.j

85mm f2.2 

1 softbox to my right

The shallow DOF helped me a lot with the skin processing , there is room for improvement in my lightning , in my direction of her, in the background, in the makeup, probably in my processing but at this time I do not know any further techniques. 

anyhow, it tops any other shot I have taken of her 

Regards,

Armando

Armando, these are great shots but we all know there is one and only one test: does your wife like it? :-)

"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton

The ones close to us are often the hardest for us to get good photos. It's nice she cooperated. The 85mm lens does such a nice job for these situations. Well done. I also like the first one the most.

Edited by Longhiker

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

Mongo likes the very natural, close and informal feel of these portraits. Very different approach but very effective. Nice work.

Not sure which 85mm you used Armando but Mongo's favourite portrait lens is his 85mm f1.4 AI-s. It is deadly sharp yet has a wonderful mellowness - fascinating combination of qualities

Thanks for commenting

she likes both and also prefers the first

she is asking me to remove white hairs in the second one ...

I have the 85 f1.8g afs

Edited by armando_m

Regards,

Armando

Guest Airee

#1 has the better composition and gets closer to your initial intent. And of course, it is a nice portrait...

I love the second one. It seems like a painting to me. Lovely expression also.

Regenerate green infrastructure. Let Biodiversity rule!

I blog at: http://klimafarm.com/

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

well you have alovely wife - so thats half way there already in any photograph.

my opinion is as follows (and it is mine only - based on what I see - since I do not know what the painting looked like or exactly what you wanted to achieve.

1. The light source is too high

2. Both images are under exposed

3. a little over exposure and correct hight of the light source is more useful to smooth older skin than a shallow DOF

I like the 2nd image better - and especially the white hair - it gives credence to the image and caracter.

You should give her a valium and make her sit down for several more image :)

Guest Thomas_MUA

Gorgeous skin tones... totally adore the blush accent on her cheekbone... brings such feminine vibrancy to the narrative... the soft Kohl liner on her lower lash line adds delightful drama to these compelling renderings...a softbox is an excellent choice here... provides subtle transition of tonal qualities... Bravo!

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate them 

She certainly gives more than 15 mins in all other aspects of life, but playing pretty in front of the lens is not her passion,

I always have a lot of reflection on her forehead, nose and cheekbones, so yes the shots are underexposed in order to keep the reflections under control, I assume better/different makeup would solve that  ... ??? 

I did set the soft box way high because what we were trying to accomplish , this is the painting

post-11004-0-58406700-1392911478_thumb.j

this was just a starting point and a good excuse to get her to pose for me , in the end I shot lower and to the side, which works better for her face, but never moved the light lower

I certainly want to reshoot, I might try a glass of wine rather than valium  :)

and setup a proper background, at this time is just the bed cover that is seen behind her 

Regards,

Armando

Guest Thomas_MUA

"try a glass of wine rather than valium" Please just say no to drugs (including alcohol)...

btw, George Hurrell used music in his studio to excellent effect...  he indeed is one of the true masters of portraiture...

The thoughtful note on your illumination source being rather high is likely due to the shadowing in her deep set eyes... Might consider a sizable horizontal white reflector at breast level to bounce light back up into a talents eyes... this is SOP for beauty genre...

To attain the concept painting above might consider using a narrow stripbox or a socked beauty dish... needs to be powered at least 3 stops over ambient to achieve a Chiaroscuro effect as in the example... the further back the softer the edge transfer...

Makeup artist kill shine via a mattifying primer (urban decay DeSlick or MAC anti shine) this is applied at the beginning of the workflow in as it takes 5 to 10 minutes to soften the skin to receive foundation... then the foundation is "set" with Matte translucent powder... many times during a photo-shoot the talent is "powdered down" with matte powder to kill shine...

Hope this helps...

Edited by Thomas_MUA