Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eladio

Do you think I went to far on post processing?

Guest Eladio

Please let me know your insights!?

995011_644730395584084_131872535_n.jpg

In a word, no.

In more words, I think there a couple of approaches to postprocessing. One is to twiddle everything and stop at some point, then claim that's what one intended all along. The other is to previsualise the outcome and work towards it. The test is whether or not one can consistently reproduce a certain style or not. As to whether one is preferred over the other, it's not for me to say.

Clearly I can't say which approach was taken here - only you know.

However, for me this picture works on a number of levels. It looks very high key and delicate but yet has strong contrast around the hair shadow on the right. The densest blacks appear to be in the eye liner, mascara and the pupils, which feels "correct" to me; because of that I don't mind that the hair shadow is a bit grey instead of black. As a study in "perfection" it is very well rendered, with porcelain skin tones almost entirely devoid of texture but beautifully sculpting the contours of the face - it is extremely well lit for sculpting without harsh shadows and I congratulate you on that.

But I like the picture for more than that, though. The eye liner (if that's the correct term) on the upper lid of the left eye as I look at the picture is not quite perfect - in contrast to the other eye, which is flawless and suddenly the picture changes for me from some kind of image of perfection to a story of the pursuit of perfection - this tiny flaw makes the picture very human and I interpret her expression as one of sadness - she has tried to get everything completely perfect but yet knows there is no such thing. For all the startling beauty in the shot what comes across is something very human. The fold lines on the right eyelid, the texture on the lips and the tiny, tiny lump to the right of the mouth as I look all heighten the sense that this is not some kind of object held up for my criticism but a living, breathing human who is doing her very best to live up to something unattainable.

So I guess what Im saying is that you haven't gone too far because of those tiny elements left in. This picture is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above the photoshopped tat the dominates life today; that I have such a strong reaction to it makes it art to me and not just a documentary photograph about what someone looked like on a certain day.

If she were my daughter I would pay you whatever you asked for that picture - whether your post-processing was accidental or methodical. If I were advertising makeup it wouldn't be what I wanted.

It occurs to me in writing all this that I might be missing my daughters more than I let on...

"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton

No, black_bird_blue has said it all.

Guest JohnBrew

Not at all. It's a nice portrait.

I personally do not.

I posted this some time ago and think it might be of interest to the OP.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

http://www.fotozones.com/live/index.php/topic/52431-photography-art-and-a-different-way-of-thinking/?p=422713

Nikon D500, D700, Df, 18-140/3.5-5.6 VR, 20/2.8D, 28-105/3.5-4.5D, 50/1.8D, 60/2.8D Macro, 80-200/4.5-5.6, 300/4E PF, 35/2D,  Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC

Manual Focus Lenses:  Nikon 55/3.5 Micro pre-AI, 105/2.5 AI, ZY Mitakon Creator 85/2

Olympus PEN-F, EM5.2, Olympus 9mm f/8 Fisheye, 17/1.8, 75-300/4.8-6.7 II, Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8, Sigma 60mm f/2.8 DN Art, ZY Mitakon 25/0.95

http://www.bestlightphoto.net | http://www.visualohio.com | http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com | Flickr | SCEENEINWINDOWS Project

No, black_bird_blue has said it all.

+1

Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

For me yes as there is no texture to the face!

Mike Gorman

Lumix G9 , GX8 - Leica 12, 15, 20, 25, 42.5 - 8-18, 12-60, 35-100, 45-175

Guest Eladio

In a word, no.

In more words, I think there a couple of approaches to postprocessing. One is to twiddle everything and stop at some point, then claim that's what one intended all along. The other is to previsualise the outcome and work towards it. The test is whether or not one can consistently reproduce a certain style or not. As to whether one is preferred over the other, it's not for me to say.

Clearly I can't say which approach was taken here - only you know.

However, for me this picture works on a number of levels. It looks very high key and delicate but yet has strong contrast around the hair shadow on the right. The densest blacks appear to be in the eye liner, mascara and the pupils, which feels "correct" to me; because of that I don't mind that the hair shadow is a bit grey instead of black. As a study in "perfection" it is very well rendered, with porcelain skin tones almost entirely devoid of texture but beautifully sculpting the contours of the face - it is extremely well lit for sculpting without harsh shadows and I congratulate you on that.

But I like the picture for more than that, though. The eye liner (if that's the correct term) on the upper lid of the left eye as I look at the picture is not quite perfect - in contrast to the other eye, which is flawless and suddenly the picture changes for me from some kind of image of perfection to a story of the pursuit of perfection - this tiny flaw makes the picture very human and I interpret her expression as one of sadness - she has tried to get everything completely perfect but yet knows there is no such thing. For all the startling beauty in the shot what comes across is something very human. The fold lines on the right eyelid, the texture on the lips and the tiny, tiny lump to the right of the mouth as I look all heighten the sense that this is not some kind of object held up for my criticism but a living, breathing human who is doing her very best to live up to something unattainable.

So I guess what Im saying is that you haven't gone too far because of those tiny elements left in. This picture is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above the photoshopped tat the dominates life today; that I have such a strong reaction to it makes it art to me and not just a documentary photograph about what someone looked like on a certain day.

If she were my daughter I would pay you whatever you asked for that picture - whether your post-processing was accidental or methodical. If I were advertising makeup it wouldn't be what I wanted.

It occurs to me in writing all this that I might be missing my daughters more than I let on...

In another forum one member said, this one suits my signature, "Fine Art", and reading what you wrote I believe I actually accomplished what I wanted.

I was playing freely with the picture, trying to get a point I liked, went back and forth a few times not really knowing what I wanted. The only thing I did know was that my base was B/W. 

I am indeed happy with the result, when I asked for comments the way I did, was to find out if I crossed the line when I made it look almost like a drawing. 

In fact I am browsing my photos to see which ones might fit the same post processing and I have a shoot scheduled I will be shooting to process the same way.

Thanks a lot for your comments.

For me yes as there is no texture to the face!

I respect you and Vivionm, however to achieve the result I got having no texture on the face was intensional.

Thanks everyone for your comments.