Guest Deena

Faux color IR tropical garden

Guest Deena

Well I am continuing to battle with IR processing. This one is a little out there but after a couple hours of practicing processing not to mention many hours of working on others and getting nothing I like, I had to show it to some folks! I was thinking tropical "fish tank."

post-1700-0-24607700-1386557303_thumb.jp

Guest Deena

And, here is the black and white version.

On the color version, I just noticed the spots of color on the purple leaves. I have to figure out why that is happening and fix it. I might just start over (sigh) and try to do it right from scratch now that I know what I am hoping to do with it.

post-1700-0-20088600-1386558967_thumb.jp

Very interesting, some kind of meeting between "Avatar world" and more earthly colors. How did you manage this degree of color separation?

Very well done!

Edit: I very much prefer the color version. I do not see problems with the purple leaves. The very slight transparency is sublime. And who said they cannot have traces of another color at some spots?

Edited by otoien

Øivind

I love infrared/false color photography. and this shot is a good example of why.

Don't change the mottling on the leaves--it's something that the IR "sees".

Keith B.

Guest arthurking83

Another fan here ... as is looks just about perfect.

Guest Patrick Pedersen

The post processing part of IR is what I have found quite hard too, don't seem like you are having such a hard battle though..

Very nice, and you got so so much colour in it.

another vote for the colour version ... very well done and worth your efforts Deena!

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

Guest nfoto

No problem accepting the colour version here. I assume you have used a less dense IR filter than the standard R72 variety?

The color version looks just great!  Unless there is any scientific purpose, the result can look anyway.  You should only think about the way you like!

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Guest Deena

I thought for sure people would prefer the black and white and that the color version was over the top. Thanks for the kind words.

I used a modified D70s with the equivalent of a 665nm filter; 17-35mm f2.8 Nikkor at 17mm, f22, 1/6th of a second, ISO 200, tripod with cable release.

I took the shot a couple of years ago and was lucky I bracketed exposure a lot because I've been finding I tend to have blown highlights when processing IR images from this camera unless I slightly underexpose according to the histogram. I never processed it because I've found processing so frustrating but I decided to tackle it again because I will be back in this amazing garden in a few months and I want to go prepared to be in more control of and more deliberate with the photos I take this time :-).

I used a combination of Lightroom, ACR, PS, and some NIK tools (Viveza and Dfine). I got the color separation by playing with the channel conversion first and then painstakingly isolating all the parts and working each plant separately, then kind of going over it with global edits as well in between. I was sort of treating it like a painting with under layers and then over layers. I flattened in between not by my preference but because the file was getting hard to manipulate. It turned out to be a bit of a blessing because once I flattened, i was able to go back in and rework areas in a way that gave a little depth and variety of colors (I hadn't saved exact info on the colors I originally used so had to naturally vary them slightly. Oh, and I also played with blending modes and ended up using Color mode which made the colors blend a bit better.

Thanks.