Sign in to follow this  
Guest Deena

Some more IR experiments from Florida

Guest Deena

Trying to experiment with false color and IR in general. The colors feel like a real challenge to get something "tasteful". In the bush on the beach shot, I tried making the leaves white but then the shells on the bush were not discernible. 

post-1700-0-95987400-1385618437_thumb.jp

post-1700-0-38915900-1385618453_thumb.jp

Guest nfoto

You haven't done that bad, have you? False-colour not only takes an acquired taste but also can be hellishly tricky to make come alive the way one wants. These days I frequently process the IR images through two different programs and merge later to get the 'look' I'm after.

Guest Deena

Yes, I feel like the tremendous number of options makes it very difficult to find the right balance of colors. I processed these in CS6 mostly and then in Lightroom some more. However, I am thinking of using Viveza because of the point controls. I am not the most expert at selections in CS6 and I think Viveza might make it easier. But no two photos really seem to process the same way and I bounce back and forth between controls inching toward the rough vision.

I hope to stay fairly steadily working on IR so I can internalize some of the processing and feel more intentional in doing it. I often see images I like but don't know how people post process to create them and while I've found some information here and elsewhere on the web, I don't feel like anyone has really addressed the post processing aspect comprehensively (which may just be impossible). I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the experimentation!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Guest nfoto

As long as you seem to understand there are no "ready-made" recipes for IR (false) colour you are half way done .... Put efforts in your trial-and-error experiments and learn from them. This is the way we all have to go anyway.

Guest Deena

Agreed. Everyone has to pay their dues! I have been working to get the technical aspects down and am getting better material to start with. I guess "getting it right in the camera" applies to IR just as much if not more than other photography so that's what I am going to work on. 

Thanks for the advice!

Guest nfoto

"I guess 'getting it right in the camera' applies to IR just as much if not more than other photography so that's what I am going to work on"

A good approach. Since I commenced working in the IR field without having the ability to see through a finder (no Liveview and filtration over lens not inside the camera), I trained my ability to compose and focus literally without actually viewing the subject. This habit is so still engrained I still on occasion just use any IR capable camera in this manner. A relaxed way of shooting IR and even today works well enough with anything normal to short focal length. I do make an exception for IR with long lenses though as critical focus in IR then requires Liveview (or accepting a near zero 'keepers rate').