Guest Elsa Hoffmann

Touching.

This is very very touching Elsa. Thanks for sharing and giving us something to think about.

Just after Louise passed away, a friend of mine living in Italy sent me the link this guy's blog, some stunning photography with their life story. I love the b&w rendering of the photos, very powerful story.

Sad thing is they were very recently married as well when she was diagnosed.

I have some cell phone photos I took during Louise's hospitalization, but she never really wanted visitors when she was in hospital, feeling that she does not want to be seen like that, and I respected her wishes by keeping it private.

Looking at those images came as a blow even though the tragic fact is everyone has friends or family members diagnosed with breast cancer. In Holland women are checked every two years for breast cancer. Every 1 in 8 women is diagnosed with breast cancer. Thanks for posting this Elsa and in so contributing to the awareness of this disease and support for these women and their families.

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

I found the images so beautiful and intimate. Capturing the essence of the pain and love and with some much feeling.

From a photography point of view - this is what any people-photographer want - to capture the essence of being.

My sister also passed away due to breast cancer. I wish I could have done that for her & her children.

Quite a number of lumps are detected by the woman's partner - so check those boobies guys. You have a good reason to.

Very sad impactful series of the leaking away of life

Excellent PJ

The issue is among us and this is valuable - it helps raise awareness

Pretty hard not to finish without a lump in the throat

Thanks for posting Elsa

Rags

When I was having my ultrasound done earlier this week I was lying there thinking, "What if this isn't malaria or some other kind of virus or illness?" It was one of the scariest moments of my life. 

Everyday people get that kind of bad news. I don't know how I would deal with it. I don't think I could make photos like this, but maybe if I did they would be from me looking outwards and not inwards. 

Life is beautiful. Even when it ends. 

• Like 1

Very distressing.  I know far more women who have died of breast cancer than I know victims of all other cancers combined. 

Sadly, overall, screening is not unambiguously good as a general policy, although the women whose lives are saved would disagree.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/about-cancer/cancer-questions/what-the-breast-screening-review-means

Cancer is one of the most non discriminatory things in the world.  My wife (at age 46) passed away from about three different types of cancers in 1994.  She was diagnosed in January and given 5 years to live.  In February it was changed to 1 year.  March they said she had 6 months.  April she was told 1 month and in May, she was gone.

I don't know if I could have documented like your link showed, but right up until the very last, she and I kept our spirits up and enjoyed each others love and company.

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

I am sorry for your loss Kim. What gets me is the people who die just when they should start enjoying adult life. Kids grown up, so they should be in a time when life becomes their own again. If you understand what I mean

I am very much for getting out of life what one can. I see too many of my friends in relationship that are mediocre. Just plodding along. For me the only thing is to be happy, to share your days with someone you truly want to be with and not someone you just feel you have to be with. Before you know it - its all over. Live, love and enjoy every moment as it is all special. I suppose I get sentimental about life sometimes (ye even me :tease:  ) and therefor I am extremely serious about the fact that one shouldnt just plod along.

Sadly for me this topic touched a nerve as in 2010 I lost my wife(The Management) of 44 years to cancer, she was almost 64. I still miss her desperately. All I have left now are the memories and photographs.

Elsa is right she and I had just started to enjoy our retirement and it was snatched from her by the scourge of cancer and inevitably the after effects of strong chemotherapy, which in her case was worse than the disease!

Sentimental - not half. Thanks Elsa.

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

I m also sorry for your loss Mike. Life's a bitch in my opinion

You mention photographs - I am involved in an organization called "now I lay me down to sleep"

This is remembrance photography for parents who loose a child at birth or soon after. If one dont' have photographs - it makes it so much harder to remember. Especially with a child - you dont have "proof" that you had this child at all unless you have photos. it is so important .

Sobering stuff Elsa,  some things are just way more important than other things.

I imagine many of us have sad experiences in this respect, reckon it's a good reminder to be kind to

others where we can and count our blessings literally every day.  :)

Tony

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

Tony - yes.

I read the other day that by blowing out someone else's candle doesnt make yours burn stronger.

If we actually just take note of those around us - our photos will be better too.

Here on NG its about photography isnt it :)

• Like 1

I had my older brother die today of bladder cancer that spread all throughout his abdomen.  We didn't go up to see him before he died.   Cancer is the pits, I wish  they could either cure or stop it.

As my wife was in the last stages in dying from breast cancer, (age 39, almost 26 years ago,) she requested to be photographed with her children.  I complied with nothing more than an instamatic type camera (that's all I had in those days.)  Nonetheless, in true snapshot fashion, it was a correct portrayal of immense sadness and bewilderment in all their faces.  It is a good thing that mine was behind the camera and not in front!  I had copies made, thinking that they might be wanted later.  Not so.  Just too sad!  Hence, I have mixed feelings about the value of such documentation for the participants in grief - later, down the road, as life goes on!

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

DaveO - I send you a message

Eb, I respect what you say. Only time will tell what works for you or your family. People are different and there is no cookie cutter recipe for all. Although I have photos of both my sister and my partner - I dont like looking at them at all. In fact I most avoid them. But give them up or wish I didn't have them? Nope. I need them.

I had my older brother die today of bladder cancer that spread all throughout his abdomen.  We didn't go up to see him before he died.   Cancer is the pits, I wish  they could either cure or stop it.

Dave, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. :( 

..I dont like looking at them at all. In fact I most avoid them. But give them up or wish I didn't have them? Nope. I need them.

Exactly, I wouldn't disagree and I'm not about to burn any of mine.  Perhaps the photographer made his grief easier with this project - I certainly hope so.  But, the exhibition is for a wider audience and perhaps much less so for family members and the intimately connected folks.  For them, it would be painful to view, indeed!  For myself, I much prefer to retain images of happier times!

Elsa

I received your message, but was unable to use the link nor copy and paste it to get to your actual message.  Thank you for responding to me. My brother had an operation for bladder cancer about two months ago and then had to go back for another operation a few weeks ago after complications.  They then realized that the cancer had spread quite a bit.  He died unexpectedly before we could get up there. We are leaving today to be with his family and attend his funeral.

I really enjoy the pictures that you post.  Keep it up.

Edited by DaveO

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

Dave, I am really very sorry for your loss. Take care and be safe.

As a survivor, so far, of cancer. I had a kidney removed due to a tumour in 2006, my thoughts are with all those of you who have not been so lucky and have lost a loved one to this terrible disease.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.