Guest Patrick Pedersen

A Human (or) Tree Crawling up from the Sea

Guest Patrick Pedersen

A shot from last year, in fact one of my very best selling shots ever. And also a personal favourite of mine.

As usual nothing manipulated or tweaked in any way, what's done is that I converted the drift wood piece in Black and White to make it stand a little bit out from the background.

374 seconds at f/16, iso 100, which also is the native iso on my precious old D2X. Shot at a Tokina ATX PRO 11-16 2.8.

post-12015-0-04514600-1381316004_thumb.j

Did a little edit on it on my tablet just before I posted it, hope it wasn't too much.. (I can not see exactly on my tablet..)

Have a good day you all, hope you enjoy the shot!:-)

Guest nfoto

This is very good. A practical suggestion not to entirely desaturate the driftwood, but let a hint of its original colours stay. That way it blends even more convincingly into the overall scene.

An alternate interpretation you might already have done is doing the subject in landscape mode. The original has a slight possible problem in that the sky cloud patterns may compete for attention.

Great shot !

I concur with Bjørn's suggestion to leave a trace of original colour in the wooden statue. Also, i suggest to feather your processing a bit more, now there is a hint (or maybe suggestion) of a halo along its "back".

I don't find the sky competing, especially since the cloud patterns stop over the wooden figure.

HansC, doin' life

This is very good. A practical suggestion not to entirely desaturate the driftwood, but let a hint of its original colours stay. That way it blends even more convincingly into the overall scene.

An alternate interpretation you might already have done is doing the subject in landscape mode. The original has a slight possible problem in that the sky cloud patterns may compete for attention.

Agreed, and I will add that in a square rendering this would make for an excellent LP cover or CD liner. In fact, in "my day" this might have won awards for artistic merit if not merely attaining cult-statis among the public. (T-shirt, anyone?)

Guest Patrick Pedersen

This is very good. A practical suggestion not to entirely desaturate the driftwood, but let a hint of its original colours stay. That way it blends even more convincingly into the overall scene.An alternate interpretation you might already have done is doing the subject in landscape mode. The original has a slight possible problem in that the sky cloud patterns may compete for attention.

Thank you Bjørn, I'm glad you liked it! (I'm gonna show you another place just beside this island next summer, you'll love it!)

I'll try your suggestions later, it might be smart to blend the wood piece more into the overall scene, keep hearing from some that it is an "cut in", (and that it should never have been there in the first place...)..

No, but I remember I tried when I first processed it, to do it in landscape mode. Thought it were better as it is, makes the eye wander first to the piece of drift wood and then a little around. As one sees the subject, understands it, and goes on to see its "habitat"/surroundings. But I'll have another look at it with the suggestions you mentioned. ;-)

Great shot !

I concur with Bjørn's suggestion to leave a trace of original colour in the wooden statue. Also, i suggest to feather your processing a bit more, now there is a hint (or maybe suggestion) of a halo along its "back".

I don't find the sky competing, especially since the cloud patterns stop over the wooden figure.

Thank you Hans,

I guess we agree about the sky, I'm quite new to digital post processing, all I know I learned at home by myself, trying and failing.. :-)

I love it. This makes me think of Alien Evolution on Planet X. Cool!!

Thank you very much Andrea B!

Glad you appreciated it that much, means a lot to me to hear that! :-) Thanks!

Agreed, and I will add that in a square rendering this would make for an excellent LP cover or CD liner. In fact, in "my day" this might have won awards for artistic merit if not merely attaining cult-statis among the public. (T-shirt, anyone?)

Thanks a whole lot,

Since I were a child I wanted to produce album covers, remember I looked at my fathers old big LP records, as the Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and so on and just thought it were sooo cool!

Take a look at for example Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" cover, or I could mention a thousand others, just as cool.

Interesting that you mentioned this, thanks a lot! :-)

Have a great day (or night), and thanks for dropping by you all!

Guest Patrick Pedersen

cool shot!

Thank you Elsa! :-)

Patrick I saw this image yesterday on 500px, I think it's outstanding.

It really works for me as shot but I also did a crop by scrolling it up my monitor

to exclude the sky and horizon, I did this when I saw it yesterday and was struck how you could get

easily get two excellent,  but very different images from the original.

You have a great deal of outstanding images on 500px, great work, thanks for

sharing.

There are people out there who would pay a lot of money for such a piece

of driftwood, truly a natural sculpture, I hope it remains in it's natural environment. :)

Tony

Edited by wildoat

Guest Patrick Pedersen

Patrick I saw this image yesterday on 500px, I think it's outstanding.

It really works for me as shot but I also did a crop by scrolling it up my monitor

to exclude the sky and horizon, I did this when I saw it yesterday and was struck how you could get

easily get two excellent,  but very different images from the original.

You have a great deal of outstanding images on 500px, great work, thanks for

sharing.

There are people out there who would pay a lot of money for such a piece

of driftwood, truly a natural sculpture, I hope it remains in it's natural environment. :)

Tony

Thank you so very much Tony, I appreciate it! :-)

Concerning the drift wood piece, I actually found it a couple of meters from this spot and dragged it along with me and worked about 15 minutes and a couple of exposures to get it to work in the picture, and as I imagined from start when I first spotted the wood piece.

In fact I looked for it when we where there with our boat this summer, didn't succeed in finding it though..

Thanks, and have a good day/night (or whatever it might be were one are)! :-)

great shot,

truly makes one think of something crawling on the shore 

Regards,

Armando

Guest Patrick Pedersen

great shot,

truly makes one think of something crawling on the shore 

Thank you Armando! Sorry my late reply! :-)