Guest olivier

Party girl

Guest olivier

my youngest son held his birthday party today and invited his best friends. This is a portrait of a young girl (6 years old). She was very lively and funny all day, but for some reason she looked extremely serious (though not impressed at all) in front of my camera. I am very happy actually that she decided not to smile.

post-207-0-69335700-1365277573_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

Olivier not sure if that look is pensive or sad, either way it's a very fine portrait.

Absolutely perfect lighting also.

Excellent  work, you are a very accomplished portrait photographer.

tony

Edited by wildoat

Guest olivier

Thank you Tony. I have to focus on what is doable for me. Unlike you, I am not equiped for fast moving animals or machines! And of course I do not have your impressive capabilities.

No specific lighting here, just a large window on the left side.

Edited by olivier

Guest davepaterson

It has a wonderful timeless quality - could be by one of the old Dutch Masters - Rubens springs to mind. The little girl's calm, serious expression makes it a very special portrait.

Guest RC51

Interesting young lady..... she has made eye contact, but does not seem to be looking at the viewer.

You have presented a classic look, which perfectly suits the mood of the sitter..... very impressive, well done!

Cheers

Guest olivier

Thank you so much.

Dave, I am sure that unlike me, Rubens would have seen the stray hair on her forehead. But of course he did not have photoshop to save the day. I am going back to the drawing board...

Bez: I think you describe the moment very well, she was somewhat absent (or maybe impatient to go to the table as the cake was going to appear soon!)

Guest Lars Hansen

I agree regarding the absence of a smile - her expression is great. I prefer natural light when possible and it works very well in this portrait imo.

Guest olivier

Thank you Fons and Lars. I sometimes wonder if the re is enough separation between the hair and the background in my portraits, but in the end I always come back to what I have here. So I guess this is what I want...

Wonderful portrait Olivier ... You got extremely good with this stuff ...

The clothing also adds a lot to the overall image ... (of course in addition to what has already been written by the others)

Very good ...

Edited by Chris Wahl

Never mind the words ... just hum along and keep on going...

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

Absolutely my kind of image Olivier - perfect without the smile. I love it!

Guest Colin-M

Another very effective portrait Olivier, I really like the result. Everything about it feels very natural, inc the lighting.

Her right eye seems to be lost, deep in thought. With her left eye, she is silently judging us!

Guest olivier

Thank you, but you all are too kind! It is quite a lucky shot for the expression, the rest is to put to the credit of the D700, the 105mm f/2.5 and Nik silver efex. It is not really difficult once you have found the right place with the good light. For me, it is just next to a large window facing northwest.

I had missed this thread until I saw the image nominated for POTW

I love this portrait!

Everything works! light, focus, framing, expression , processing

even before reading the comments it reminded me of a good painting

will you share it with her parents?

Regards,

Armando

Like Armando , I missed this picture until I saw it today in the POTW nominations  ,I agree with him and all the other comments too. Dave Pattersons comments put it succinctly in his words "wonderful timeless quality...a very special portrait "        

Superb Olivier

Guest olivier

Well, thank you again for this very nice and encouraging words.

Yes Armando, I will probably give a copy to the parents of the little girl, as soon as I manage to see them at the school.

Thank you, but you all are too kind! It is quite a lucky shot for the expression, the rest is to put to the credit of the D700, the 105mm f/2.5 and Nik silver efex. It is not really difficult once you have found the right place with the good light. For me, it is just next to a large window facing northwest.

Yes, you are lucky...you did found the right place and light, set the camera right, work with the model, procesed the image, had he vision and press the shutter at that precise time... That´s a lot of good luck! :) 

Really a timeless portrait. Works, in so many levels. Thanks for sharing it

Never thought the thread could take this direction

Guest olivier

You see? we agree.

thank you!