Hello All,

I recently did a morning shoot for a start up designer that was looking for some fun portrait shots, as well as some more artistic architectural shots with her in them. Here is a brief example. My main question is do you feel that the "high-key" b&w is overdone? I intentionally lit her from a bright window, but used the histogram to ensure I didn't blow out the highlights. I know many people will feel this is overdone, but I feel justified since I still see the outline of her face against the back lighting. Also, do you feel the framing in the bridge shots is proper, or do you have suggestions on a better way to go about it? Thanks for your c&c!

You can find a couple more shots on my blog if you're interested.

http://blog.lithicimages.com

Cheers,

Scott

DSC_8612-L.jpg

DSC_8652-L.jpg

DSC_8681-L.jpg

Guest Shac

Scott - for my tastes yes the the high key doesn't work b/c the right side of her face disappears into the window (?) behind - i.e. there's not enough separation.

I like # 2 - colours complement well

I don't doubt it! The start of the shoot consisted of "I don't take very good pictures" and "I'm not a super model". So it took a little convincing and reassurance that she was doing great. I'd show here every 10th image and say "see, you look amazing". Once I had a smile on her face I'd start again.

So I pulled back the exposure a bit, and I agree with you Shac, it doesn't really fit into a high-key style. I like the image in it's own rights, just it shouldn't be described as high-key. There is too much detail remaining in her face, while maintaining a proper exposure. I would have need a stronger light on the the left side of her face to smooth everything out.

Thanks for you help!

Scott

DSC_8612-L.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Clactonian
      Weston Rise Estate, London,UK
      SL601, 90/2.8

• By Clactonian
      The Barbican  Centre, London, UK
      SL601, Summilux 50/1.4

• By Dallas
      This past week I have been working on a variety of projects for Ford South Africa again. Monday's shoot was all about a local guy and his amazingly well restored '73 Ford Capri. This is my favourite shot from all the shoots I have done for Ford in the past year and it wasn't easy to get, I'll tell you that much!

Here I'm sitting in the back of a car being driven by our content producer, pointing the camera out the window, using f/18 (yes, on a mirrorless m4/3 camera) with a shutter speed of 1/18 second, trying to get the right framing and all while trying to communicate to the driver of the Capri what speed to go at as well as communicating the same with the producer. After several runs on both sides of a short public road outside the Durban airport I got this one which I am happy to share with you all. 

I've converted it to B&W because while my iMac is in for repairs I am forced to edit on the dodgy Dell monitor that has been the subject of an article here on FZ (also why I am using an old method of putting my copyright on). I think the conversion looks good. Thoughts? 

• By knud
      I haven't been able to find anything regarding the AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED in this forum. It very quickly has become my favorite lens. It is incredibly sharp even wide open!
      A picture from a street theater/cirkus called Trottvoir. From St. Gallen Switzerland sommer 2017.
      I made several pictures shooting with the 105mm f/1.4 wide open.

100% crop of the eye

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.