Another new member, another old amateur photographer

Bill_D

Hello all,

I just joined to see what this site has to offer. Like Francis I've been photographing for a long time, since I was a child. I mostly photograph landscapes and other aspects of nature but I also photograph meetings of friends and family from time to time and document the trips my wife and I take.

Currently I'm mainly using a Canon S95 for snapshots and a Nikon D7000 for more serious use, the latter mostly with the Nikon 16-85VR and the Nikon 12-24/4. Film still holds a place in my heart and I'm looking forward to getting out again with my Pentax 67 system in the next few months. I'm also interested in IR and UV photography and intend to make renewed efforts in those areas.

I look forward to learning a lot here!

Bill

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill_D

• Dallas

• Alf Iversen

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Welcome Bill! You live in a very pretty part of the world, so I am looking forward to seeing some of your photos from the Bay area. I think we have quite a few other members in your region too.

Alf Iversen

Welcome!

The UV and IR section (and the rest, for that matter) here seems to be cutting edge, and the postings civilised and knowledegable.

Very nice place to get away from constant off topic ramblings, and brand trolling.

Hope you like it!

Alf / amateur with too little time to spare for photography.

I have no sense of humor, but I can be unintentionally funny.

We're always embracing newcomers and in particular when they express an interest for UV/IR :D

Do you have any biological background perhaps? Many people coming to UV apparently do.

Thanks to all for the welcomes!

Dallas, most of the digital photos I have available and which are worth posting are from farther afield but I'll see what I can dredge up from the local area.

Bjorn, yes, I've been interested in biology since I was a kid, but since adolescence mostly plants and in particular plant ecology and geography. Here in California we have tremendous plant (and overall ecological) diversity which makes it a very interesting place to travel in as either a naturalist or a scientist.

Olivier, my one attempt at near-UV photography used a recommended color film which (unknown to me) had recently been reformulated to eliminate its UV sensitivity. My one attempt at near IR used a filter which recorded too much light in the visible/IR boundary region so I did not get the desired effect; it looked more like using a red filter.

I'll try again, maybe even with my Pentax 67. I've also got some old and new lenses in 35mm that should work well for one or the other part of the spectrum. I'm particularly looking forward to near-IR black and white photography of stark places such as Mono Lake, the White Mountains, and Death Valley. All this is going to wait for at least a few months due to other priorities like getting my office set up and finishing the cleanup job after rats took up residence in our house; my den was one of their hangouts (!). At some point when I can afford it I'll get a used D300s or D700 and have it modded for UV and IR photography, which will enable use of color if I wish.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks, Oliver. I found the critical info in the UVIR section, namely that the D700, like some other Nikon full-frames, uses an internal IR light and is not recommended for IR conversion. That's fine- there are other choices for conversion like the D7000 and D300s which offer live view and which can meter with unchipped lenses, a few of which are usable for UV photography. Starting up again with film is the cheaper route for now, though.

Guest stenrasmussen

Welcome to the best "Everything Nikon and then some" place on the internet.

Looking forward to seeing your posts and more specifically photos from the Bay area.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.