Guest olivier

52 b&w portraits: Week 52 - Un honnête homme

Guest olivier

Following the just ended 1 year collective challenge (a success for me as it kept me shooting!), I have decided to continue but on a somewhat different basis.

I have always liked to shoot portraits but find it often difficult to connect with the subject although I know that this is the determining factor, well before all technical points. Getting the person to relax, start to chat about something important to them, and finally catch the expression I am looking for... It works sometimes but I want to improve there. I also want to ask people I don't know (but find interesting) to stop for a minute in exchange of nothing besides an email with a photo of them if it is good enough. We'll see if I manage to do this.
As my colorblindness makes it nearly impossible to get the skin tones right, I'll do everything in b&w.

Any critique, comment, advice, whatever, is of course welcome and even encouraged.

In order to keep the pace after week 52 of the previous challenge, my week 1 was actually last week, so I'll recycle a picture already shown here:

Week 1: Scratched face.
Robin is 6 years old. He spends his days reading Tintin, building castles for his Playmobils and driving his sister crazy.
D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS at 2.5. Window light.

post-207-0-39946200-1349698746_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

Guest olivier

Week 2: l'ingénieur

J. is a retired engineer. A very successful man and powerful mind. He now spends his free days helping many young people launch their own business and he also saves time for his boat.

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS at 2.5. Window light

post-207-0-05249600-1349699201_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

Guest RC51

#

Edited by RC51

Guest olivier

Wait a minute Bez... I wrote that I ALSO wanted to ask unknown people, not ONLY! But definitely, I want to do it.

It is not the same thing to do. In one case you have very little time to act and take what you get, in the other you have enough time to really work on the pose (until the subject tells me "OK dad, one more and I'm gone"), control the light in the background which in my case means close or not a shutter...

Guest RC51

#

Edited by RC51

Guest olivier

Don't apologize! I like the fact that you are pushing me, this is what I need...

I just know I won't be able to take meaningful portrait of strangers every week as it requires to go out alone, spend time looking at people and get one to accept. I often won't have the time for that unfortunately. So a mixture of situations would suit me better.

Guest olivier

week 3: the cheese master

Gérard sells cheese at the open air market in l'Isle Adam. He started his career in photoengraving many years ago for parisian newspapers and switched to cheese making (tome du Jura) and finally cheese selling 30 years ago. He is very knowledgeable in a domain that is essential to me...

I don't know him well at all, we usually just exchange on the virtues of his products. My kids call him "le Père Noël", Santa Claus.

This morning, he accepted to pose for me for a few seconds only as other customers were waiting behind me...

D700, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS at 2.5. Natural light

post-207-0-15253500-1350213298_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

Very nice portraits, with the perfect lens.

Well done.

Aguinaldo

www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Nikon / Zeiss

"You are not a loser when you're defeated.
You are a loser when you quit".
(Dr. House)

Guest RC51

#

Edited by RC51

Guest palalaikka

Very, very nice portraits, especially J. and Gérard.

I wish I also had 105/2.5 AIS.

Guest olivier

Get one! I got mine in a very nice deal (30€ for a 105 f/2.5 AIS + 28 f/2 AI after I resold the rest of a set of lenses). You can easily find one for 100-150€ and it is well worth it.

Thanks everyone

Olivier

Guest olivier

thanks Averity, I'll do my best...

Well done, these portraits, Olivier.

i own this legendary lens (and its P-C Auto version AIed, wich has the same optical formula) and it works for nature, flowers, too.

I am building a set of this old lenses...

Francis.

Guest olivier

Merci Francis.

I have a hard time using the 105mm portrait lens on small objects (flowers...) because of the quite long minimum focus distance. I guess I am too used to what my macro lens offers.

Olivier

Guest Carolyn

Olivier... personally (and I stress personally) I prefer to see the dof large enough to have the ear/s be in focus. I was taught by Mr. Hal Gould to dodge up the ear a bit... (and have it be in focus). You might ask what are his credentials? Well, when Yousuf Karsh would come stateside from Canada, he'd hire Hal (and Hal's camera gear) to assist in working. He tried to get Hal to join forces with him in Canada, but Hal had his own gallery and his own business. Anyway... he learned that from Yousuf Karsh... and passed it along to me. I'm passing along to you... and anyone else that is interested in this (obviously for black and white).... that wasn't all of that lesson, but your oof ears reminded me. Hal used a photograph of the fellow Hemingway wrote about and Karsh photographed for Old Man in the Sea... to make his point.

Edited by Carolyn

Guest olivier

Hello Carolyn

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your knowledge, it is very important for me. I must admit I don't pay much attention to ears and just make sure they are not cut... Shallow DOF is something I like in portraits as it allows to have everything present in the picture and yet to emphasize what is important to me, the eyes and the facial expression. Also, I only use natural light right now and have to make with what autumn gives me, so opening the lens is helpful. I like the background to be somewhat present but still blurred, unless I aim for an environmental portrait (I don't have and don't want studio backgrounds).

I expect to shoot the 4th week portrait tomorrow when a friend visits us, I will definitely keep your advices in mind and try different settings. Maybe f/4 will still maintain enough separation while bringing enough facial elements in focus. Anyway, the weather promises to be so bad that we will have to shoot inside. And in any case it is likely I will have to use high ISO to make sure someting is sharp in the picture as we expect to open a good bottle of wine for luch... We shall see.

Olivier

Guest olivier

And btw, MM Karsh and Gould knew/know what they are talking about, obviously! So definitely, I'll listen an try.

Guest olivier

Week 4: the flutist

Delphine is a professional flute player and teacher. A very gentle an people oriented person. We had her and her family today for lunch, and I told her about my one year project and the fact I wanted her to be my next victim.

She is used to playing in front of hundreds of people and yet I had a very hard time to have her relax in front of the camera. Obviously the red wine was not enough! I am not totally happy with the result but this is what I have for this week...

post-207-0-51938200-1350838665_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

Guest olivier

Hi Averity

You are totally right, I did not manage to have her show who she really is. She was nervous and we did did not spend enough time, there were too many people around and it was time to eat dessert...

As said, I am learning.

Edited by olivier

Guest olivier

Week 5: the car salesman

Gauthier is almost 18 years old. He studies sales and wants to be a car dealer. He has a car, a motorbike and the absence of doubts that youth confers. All in all, a good boy with a great sense of humour.

D700, 105mm f/2.5 AIS.

post-207-0-15628700-1351442711_thumb.jpg

Edited by olivier

I'm really enjoying these. Are we allowed to add images too?

Damian

"The changing of bodies into light, and light into bodies, is very conformable to the course of Nature, which seems delighted with transmutations." - Sir Isaac Newton