Dallas

How bad is your GAS?

74 members have voted

1. 1. How bad is your GAS?

• Terrible! I have to buy something at least once a week.
    • Quite bad. I can only go without new gear for at least a month.
    • Under control. Down to buying stuff only once or twice a year.
    • Tamed! The disease only strikes when new products are out.
    • Just shoot me and put me and my credit card out of our misery!
    • I'm down to virtual purchases only.
    • What's GAS?

Oh boy. This one should spark some lively tales of how getting new gear keeps you awake at night!

For me it comes in waves. I can go ages without needing new stuff, but then I'll have a windfall and suddenly I'm like Hank Moody in the Valley. My worst sin is that I have RSS feeds on my iGoogle page for searches on our local Gumtree classifieds site for any ads containing the words Nikon or Apple. So I'm tempted all the time. :nono:

This year has been a particularly bad fall off the GAS wagon. I have a 2nd D700 with MB-D10, a 24-70mm 2.8 Nikkor, a 105mm 2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor, a Lenovo netbook (OK, that's for the safari and will be sold when it is over!) and this past week I succumbed to the evil lures of a Mac Pro 1,1. It might be old, but it's still a damn fine machine.

Let's not even discuss audio equipment... The waves of guilt wash over me like a fever! :help:

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

And your wife doesnt have HDS?

(husband disposal syndrome)

Guest Bjørn J

I thought I was partly cured after bying the D800, but then I got an offer on a (used) D3X which I could not refuse.

And I also recently got a good deal on the World's Best Laptop, which I could not resist. It's of course a Lenovo W530 with 256GB SSD.

So who am I kidding, I wasn't cured at all....

I purchased a D800 and suddenly realised I needed a new 24 TB storage device on the network. But in principle there is no GAS (as my new car runs on diesel :) )

And your wife doesnt have HDS?

(husband disposal syndrome)

Haha! No, she's given up fighting the disease, Elsa. Of course I have a very reliable fail safe argument for this illness: I don't smoke. She does, so whenever I get the eye I just remind her of her very expensive, non-value accruing habit and the subject is changed faster than I can open a NEF on the 'new' Mac Pro.

I purchased a D800 and suddenly realised I needed a new 24 TB storage device on the network. But in principle there is no GAS (as my new car runs on diesel :) )

Goodness me! 24 TB? I am still down at under 2TB for all my digital media, including movies and music.

"only" 40 TB total storage capacity before ...

Well where do I begin, it was a rainy weekend.....

- Neato vacuume robot

- USB charger that charges AA, AAA and 7.4V camera batteries (for my coming Biolite Campstove for some remote charching while cooking)

- Shitload of AA & AAA Eneloops

- Multimeter

- Ticket to Venice for coming weekend to join my sisters holiday for a few days

Last weekend I had a slow weekend, only bought a Nikkor 35/1.4G but sold the D3s and D7000.

Edited by Guest

It comes in waves for me too, but I've got better at containing it. Often, waiting a few days cures the worst symptoms.

That said, I just bought a Hilleberg Akto, to be used mainly for photography endeavours.

JPEG10-AktoGrn-08-0949-NoCMYKtag_3.jpg

/Johnny

Google+

I care about picture quality, not pixel quality. - Jay Maisel

I bought a MTO-11CA on ebay a couple of weeks ago. It's a russian 1000mm f/10 mirror lens. Now I just have to find a use for it...

Usually I have my GAS under control and buy new gear once or twice a year. The real problem is that i almost never sell any of my old gear. :blink:

Edited by JPMi

Jan-Petter

Odd you should ask that today - this arrived this morning, and with spare battery and a few other little bits & pieces my bank account is $2,500-odd lighter.

_D3S1153.jpg

Time will tell if my decision to go with this rather than a D800E will be vindicated or just plain embarrassing, and while I fully intend to use all Nikkors and any other brand of lens which will fit via adapter as needed, there are definitely Fujinon lenses still to be released and bought for this (14/2.8, 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS) if the 35/1.4 attached now is any guide to lens performance (this lens is simply superb) - so the bank account depletion ain't over yet....

• Like 2

That looks gorgeous, Fred. Oh God... I feel weak...

• Like 1

That looks gorgeous, Fred. Oh God... I feel weak...

Bad photo of it, just plonked onto my Wacom tablet, lit with a desklight and shot at 3200 ISO hand-held with the D3s & 35/1.4 lens. It definitely looks even better in real life. Bigger than I expected, about the same dimensions as a D7000 minus the prism housing. Like the X100, there'll be a learning curve as buttons get under fingertip when they're not intended to and the exposure compensation dial is still vulnerable to accidental movement. But it is so comforting to have a camera with a shutter speed dial where that should be, an aperture ring on the lens where that should be, and a remote release which involves screwing a simple, traditional cable release into the shutter release button, as that should be. Once I stop inadvertently pushing buttons I don't mean to push, I look forward to once again taking photographs simply as once was the case - as that should be.

After buying a D700 and a 500mm mirror lens, I thought I was done, but while down in SF recently, I saw a pristine 300 f4.5 for $40.00 - & couldn't resist. Then I made the purchase shown below. THAT should cure my GAS - for awhile.....................

DSC2428-M.jpg

Regards

Doug

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D700, D300; D200; F2, Lumix FZ30; and a bunch of Nikon MF & AF glass (& a Rokinon 85mm f1.4)

I though the only way was to fight fire with fire, so for the last 18 months I decided to get all I always wanted.

This year has been bad, D4 with WT-5 XQD cards and 2 spare batteries, D800E with MB-D12, but nothing compared with 2011 which was the worst GAS year ever for me.

2011 welcomed some big ticket items: D3s, 24mm 1.4G, 35mm 1.4G, 85mm 1.4G, 70-200mm VR2, 4 Profoto D1 500 Air mono blocks, 2 Pelican 1650 cases, 4 SB-900, 4 Pocket Wizard TT5's and a TT1, 3 Profoto Softboxes with speed rings, some computer upgrades, a mola beauty dish, 2 markins ballheads, 64 envelop AA batteries and 12 AAA with some chargers, a bunch of software, some RRS accessories, an optical breadboard for my macro rig, Sekonic 758 meter, another think tank bag, c-stands, flags and sandbags, etc... Needless to say, I was shocked when I added it all up at the end of the year.

I honestly think that with this strategy I satiated my thirst this past 18 months, and lens-wise I think I will thin the crop by the end of this year if I find some of my zooms are not seeing much action, which has been the case since using the primes. There is only one thing I might get soon for processing the D800E NEFs faster: a PCIe SSD, which should give me up to 820MB/s read and 763MB/s write and up to 100,000 IOP/s, but since two of those PCIe SSD's can be set in RAID configuration, maybe it won't be just one, but 2.

post-2842-0-07918000-1342443876_thumb.jp

Since this guy arrived, my GAS has changed...bought a house, a new car and a lot of baby "gear" :)

I haven't bought any Nikon / camera gear in quite a while (still love my D700), except for a new card reader. But, I have just ordered a 256GB Samsung Series 830 SSD for my mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro. That should keep it running smoothly for me the next couple of years.

Joergen Ramskov

My Doc said that I am cured but my Banker does not agree.

My Dealer thinks what a load of tosh.

And the wife gave up long time ago...

Only the cat agrees with me.... provided I don't sing aloud!

Edited by Almass
  • Like 1

It's the picture not the pixels.

My GAS is under control.

I held off on buying a D800 (or D800E) because I could not decide which was best for me. Now I'm hearing interesting things about a possible D600 that may be available in a few months. The D600 may be a better choice for me. We'll see. I'm in no rush. Whichever new body I purchase will hopefully be my last.

Dave

i am about to get a voigtlander 180/f4

That's an absolutely gorgeous lens. No bigger than a 135/2.8. Got mine a little over a year ago.

Hmmm.... I think I'm cured (sort of..)

Last year I got a Bigma, pleasantly surprised...

I got a V1, I'm disappointed - it's up for sale. Looking at my shelf, my 135 dc hadn't seen use in a long while.

So I sold it a couple of weeks ago (now that, I'm sorry about)

I'm patiently awaiting the release of the D400; but if it's more than 16mp - I'll pass

That said, it's always a battle... :)

Rags

As long as Nikon does not release the D400 and the D600 this year, I will be safe from GAS ... :D

Guest Elsa Hoffmann

Going thru the posts I realise there are a LOT of you with LOTS of gear and money.

WHo's available.......

I have no GAS. As long as Nikon doesnt bring out a lens - anything between 85 and 135 - and its a f1.2. I will sell my children for a good copy.

For the last 2 years I had been buying something every couple of months,

after the D800 I thought I would stop for a while, but no , 2 months later I got some gear,

the end of the next cycle is coming , and starting to feel the shakes

actually in september it will now be 3 years of GAS (photography wise)

Regards,

Armando

I had beans and peas a few days ago.

So when the f1.2 lens in the normal focal range appears there is plenty of space for more gas.

Edited by stenrasmussen

• Similar Content

• By stenrasmussen
      I want the AF-S 70-200/2.8G VRII
      Then I want the AF-S 28/1.8G that's supposed to be here soon.
      Then I want the D600...or should I get a D700?
      Then I want the AF-S 50/1.2 that's supposed to be here a long time ago metinks.
      Then I want the AF-S 300/4G VRII that's supposed to be here a long time ago metinks.
      Then I want the next...and the next...and the next.
      ...and the house government walks in...and I have to keep dreamin...

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.