Guest kds315

Petri Kuribayashi 3.5/35mm lens

Guest kds315

Steve (infraultra) discovered a truly useful and very sharp lens for reflected UV photography! Here a summary of my (and assembled from his) findings so far in its own thread, so it won't get lost...

That "Petri Kuribayashi" 3.5/35mm lens is a true gem for UV work and deserves praise. I know of M42 and Exakta mount versions (I have both). It also came in a "W.Acall Kyoei" and a later, just labeled "Petri" version, identically looking. The front filter thread is 46mm and the front does not rotate while focusing. It is a preset lens, so has two front rings, one sets the working aperture, the other allows to fully open the aperture for focusing or close down to the preset value.

I have re-measured its UV transmission and it's even better (83% at 365nm, i.e. 0.25 stops better. At 340nm the difference is 1 full stop! ) than the best (of many) Noflexar 35mm I have had here and measured. Its UV transmission reaches down to about 325nm.

original.jpg

Here now a comparison when used with a UV transmissive filter, the Baader-U and Jupiter-U in that case, clearly showing that it reaches deeper into UV and with higher UV transmission as copmpared to the Noflexar 35mm (using Jupiter-U: peak 350nm vs 358nm and gaining 0.5 stops. Using Baader-U: 363nm vs 365nm gaining 0.4 stops):

original.jpg

Focus shift is close to non-existing (although there is one, if being picky enough). The only drawback is its focusing, which ends at 3ft (about 1 meter) already, so tubes and/or a helicoid is needed for higher magnification. Infinity on a Nikon body is not possible as is, except using an adapter with corrective glass, which makes it a 42mm focal length (that built in Barlow lens that it actually is causes a factor 1.2x on focal length). UV Transmission is not affected with most such adapters.

The lens itself allows to take off the rear camera mount and either has a grove or a thread mount there, so in principle a Nikon mount could be made for it, but I haven't done such modification yet. The glass is (single-)coated and reflections / flare is nicely reduced and overall transmission quite high. I have not yet seen any hotspot issues in any focused range.

There have been reportedly other brands this lens was sold under, "Taika Terragon" is one, but the others I'm not so sure of if it is really the very same lens; I'm still investigating that. Be reminded that this review here only reflects this preset lens type that was made by Kuribayashi in the 50ies.

Guest kds315

I'm trying to track the development and brands it was sold under of this lens. If you have one or have seen one, I'd like to get the serial number please.

Guest infraultra

I believe Kyoei is Kyoei Shoji, who still makes some specialized optical equipment, but not camera lenses as far as I know.

Petri Camera Company, now called Petri Kōgyō KK, now makes telescopes.

Guest kds315

Thanks for posting pictures of your lenses Steve!

I have a later one (6 digit serial#, but showing the same "zebra" design as yours) that is differently labeled: Kuribayashi C.C. Petri 1:3.5 35mm (no Orikkor and C.C. instead of K.C.) and the also later version Boon has, is only labeled "PETRI Camera Co. Inc. PETRI" w/o mentioning Kuribayashi anymore (from what I remember - Boon please correct).

Edited by kds315

Guest tbyork2010

This is my copy:

7441971454_739ef8a451_b_d.jpg

Boon

Guest kds315

Thanks, a very unusual one you have!

Klaus, thank you so much for this excellent summary. When we get settled in the summer house in a week or so, I'll add some Kiri/Petri info to the sticky. (My editing laptop is already packed.)

Guest kds315

Most welcome Andrea! Certainly a valuable entry and a great lens to have.

Guest infraultra

All the parts on my two versions are interchangeable except the mount rings are different.

Guest Clammer

There's a lens listed on ebay now as a "W. Acall f. Leica Screw 1:3,5/35mm Kyoei" with a serial number of 10491 - another version of the same lens, maybe? The aperture markings look rather different, but the description is similar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110901336733

Guest infraultra

Kind of pricey... :)

It looks somewhat similar, although the aperture rings are different.

As Klaus says, "It is a preset lens, so has two front rings, one sets the working aperture, the other allows to fully open the aperture for focusing or close down to the preset value."

The lens you show seems to only have one aperture ring.

Other than that, it could be basically the same, however, the rear element looks a bit larger in diameter in the photo.

Guest Clammer

It does seem rather expensively priced - they're probably hoping that a Leica owner will buy it!

Guest kds315

There is a W.Komuranon 35mm in LTM version that looks rather similar, so I rather believe it is that maker actually behind. Here is the proof for that:post-75-0-23861900-1340702045_thumb.jpg

So one cannot assume that even if it has "Acall Kyoei" written on it, that it has Kuribayashi inside...

Edited by kds315

Guest tbyork2010

Can I just ask if the focusing of the Petri Kuri 35/3.5 and its equivalents are the same i.e. infinity is on left and close focus on right side of camera? My Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 50/2.8 and UV-Zeiss Jena 60/4 goes the opposite way (infinity is on right of lens and close focus on left).

Looking at the last lens Klaus mentions, it seems the focusing is the traditional M42 way. Perhaps that can be one way to differentiate those lenses which are not from the same manufacturer?

Boon

Guest infraultra

Boon, Both of mine are the same as yours, infinity is on left and close focus on right.

Guest kds315

I doubt that the direction of focusing would serve as an indicator of the same maker. They often sold also only the optics block and someone else made a suitable barrel (Novoflex being an example for that)

Guest nfoto

Kind of pricey... smile3.gif

It looks somewhat similar, although the aperture rings are different.

As Klaus says, "It is a preset lens, so has two front rings, one sets the working aperture, the other allows to fully open the aperture for focusing or close down to the preset value."

The lens you show seems to only have one aperture ring.

Other than that, it could be basically the same, however, the rear element looks a bit larger in diameter in the photo.

This thread is old history, but adding a warning neverthelesss seems in order:

The version of Kyoei W.Acall 35/3.5 for Leica LTM is not suitable for UV work. Most samples I've seen have had a tell-tale brownish cast to the glass and actual test shooting confirms it is has a poor UV response. 

The version of Kyoei W.Acall 35/3.5 for Leica LTM is not suitable for UV work. Most samples I've seen have had a tell-tale brownish cast to the glass and actual test shooting confirms it is has a poor UV response. 

The brownish element may suggest the use of thorium glass?  I've heard that the brownish hue will fade away under the exposure of the UV light for some time, but after that, the element will be fogged.  So, a lens with browned element(s) should be unusable for any purpose.

Edited by Akira

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.com/photos/akiraphoto/

Hello all..... SOMEONE HELP!!! This has been driving me up the dang wall!!! i pretty much know nothing about camera lenses but what i do kniw is that the lens i have came across is pretty much non-existant to its exact self. I have found others ALMOST the same, but not exactly. Maybe someone can help or point me in the right direction? I have a lens in which on the rim (plz excuse my lack of knowledge about the equiptment, im sure theres a propper name for it. Wish my brother were here, he'd know!) reads as followed...

"Kuribayashi K.C. Petri Orikkor 1:3.5 f=135mm No. 36258"

I cannot find this exact lens on the internet ANYWHERE if my life depended on it!! Is it a lucky find? Rare? Worth anything? Not worth anything but would hold high sentimental or a high standard to photographers? Anyone know any history about it? How much it was brand new? When it came out? Where i might be able to buy or even view the camera it goes to? Where i might be able to sell it? How much can i possibly get for it? How can i tell if it works properly? Can i put it on any other type of camera?

Im getting the idea its pretty old, possibly vintage...? Its heavy thats for sure! Please someone help me get a clue on this thing! Sheesh, wheres Blue and Steve when ya need em eh?? Tehehehe!!... TIA!!

Yikes i just realized how old this post is. I hope someone still follows it!! Please be advised as i stated before i know nothing about camera equiptment, i just know i am very talented at taking them! ;) so plz, dont go all tech-savy language on me cuz i will NOT understand and youll lose me pretty quick!! Thanks!

14896781996491085560969.jpg

14896782538141561162211.jpg

Edited by Coldpiece925

Perhaps send a PM to Klaus (thread starter), although he hasn't visited for a while, he should still get the PM notification by email. 

coldpiece925, I have that same lens.   It's from the Petri Penta camera from the 1950's.   I have one with the serial number 36754 so they were probably made within a year of one another, maybe much closer.   Mine is a partial zebra like yours.   I also have the coveted 50mm f2 lens, which is SUPER!  As far as I know, the Petri Penta (with M42 screw mount) was made for only about two years and then Petri went to a unique bayonette mount that can't be used on much else.   Also, they replaced the lens with models that are not reputed to be nearly as good.   Your lens is not super rare, but is hard to find, especially in good condition, as they stiffen up from old grease.   

It's a great little lens.   You're lucky to have one.     Check eBay right away (7-2018) and you will find one that sold for @ $130 last week.    I have to run but if you need a photo I can supply one.   But really, mine is identical to yours.