"Cowslips" (Marsh Marigolds)

Michael Erlewine

• Contributor
Michael Erlewine

Nikon D4, CV-125, Zerene Stacker

post-2886-0-97589900-1335172767_thumb.jp

Edited by Michael Erlewine

Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael Erlewine

• Fons Baerken

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest nfoto

Nice bouquet of Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris).

I battle with myself about the distribution of the depth of field.In some ways the transition of sharp into unsharp, being so well defined, visually conflicts with the extended zone of sharpness in the foreground. My mind perceives this as slightly unnatural as in something is amiss or not present. Perhaps the transition should be more gradual.

On a side note, this species has flowers with dramatic UV markings.

• Contributor
Michael Erlewine

Nice bouquet of Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris).

I battle with myself about the distribution of the depth of field.In some ways the transition of sharp into unsharp, being so well defined, visually conflicts with the extended zone of sharpness in the foreground. My mind perceives this as slightly unnatural as in something is amiss or not present. Perhaps the transition should be more gradual.

On a side note, this species has flowers with dramatic UV markings.

Well, for me this is all an experiment, everything I do. To my mind, I am not so much looking for "natural" as an impression of how these flowers affect me. Right now, of course, in the marsh they are as far as the eye can see. So here I like the front flowers almost jumping at me for attention and definition.... but the rear groups hint at the great activity in the background. Yes, it could be more gradual, but again, I am not looking for 'another' photograph but for something that records my impression of these flowers.

Sometimes I see this as I am dipping the photo into a liquid bowl of focus, so that gradual does not happen, but just the line where the photo meets the surface of focus. And there is an element of my wanting to show that all of this life... including these flowers... are just our projection. and to upset the apple cart.

Also, I have temporarily worn myself out with the exotic macros and and finding my way back into the old CV-125. Really: waiting for the D800E.

Edited by Michael Erlewine

Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com (articles), https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine (video tutorials), All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, SpiritGrooves.net, DharmaGrooves.com

Guest nfoto

Thanks for the explanation. We have to approach these subjects along different lines of perception, which is fine with me.

Perhaps time now to alter the thread heading? There is no uncertainty as to the identity of this species.

• Contributor
Michael Erlewine

Perhaps time now to alter the thread heading? There is no uncertainty as to the identity of this species.

These marsh marigolds are commonly, by the folk and farmers around here, called "cowslips," be that right or wrong. If this is troubling, I can change it.

Guest nfoto

No trouble other than Europeans expect a Primula from the description 'cowslip'.

I understand from my recent US trip that the common names over there are pretty non-standardised. So another reason for using the scientific name if it's known.

• Contributor
Michael Erlewine

No trouble other than Europeans expect a Primula from the description 'cowslip'.

I understand from my recent US trip that the common names over there are pretty non-standardised. So another reason for using the scientific name if it's known.

Totally understand, but I find the local names interesting. I added the correct name, which of course, I knew anyway.