Dallas

Your favourite film Nikon

102 members have voted

1. 1. If you shot/shoot film, which was/is your favourite body?

• F
    • F2
    • F3
    • F4
    • F5
    • F6
    • F100
    • FM series
    • FE series
    • Nikkormat
    • Other
    • Never shot film

Love usually needs some time to develop ... with DSLRs there always are rumours about its successor - even before the model actually is launched !

I have the F80 with grip and a kirk L-Plate and as you can see

its very compact compared to a similar set-up with D300.

Use it mostly for black&white and like it a lot...

post-2405-0-67925400-1328356102_thumb.jp

Interesting body caps, Petter. Are those just straight forward Nikon lens caps or did you mod them to fit onto the body?

Interesting body caps, Petter. Are those just straight forward Nikon lens caps or did you mod them to fit onto the body?

He he, no. The F80 has the 50mm 1.8D mounted and D300 has the 24mm 2.8D

In the 1980's and 1990's I shot medium format slides - Hassy and Bronica. I dabbled with a 35mm for a while, it was a Nikon EM. While it was inexpensive, it never let me down, and I was happy with the "E" lenses I used on it (especially the 75 - 150).

Amongst the Nikon film bodies, my favorite was the F3. Had a strange hot shoe & didn't have the fastest flash synch, but what a great camera!

For medium format, the Hasselblad 500C/M, and for large format I loved to use the Linhof Master Technika.

Maybe Nikon could bring out a DX-format digital body resembling FE2/FM2. There are pictures on 43rumors.com of an Olympus OM-D E-M5 to be announced soon. which camera body resembles the OM-4. Well, well citing a rumour about yet another non-announced camera, lol. :biggrin: But, seriously I think that a FE2/FM2 styled digital (SLR/mirrorless) could attract much interest.

Easy choice for me: FE2 and FM3a (which I regard as an FE series, should have been called FE3). Compact, well made, and just the right features.

Guest Chris101

I have the F80 with grip and a kirk L-Plate and as you can see

its very compact compared to a similar set-up with D300.

Use it mostly for black&white and like it a lot...

That's cool! I never thought of making the N80 bigger, but it bulks up nicely! And I'll bet the winder weighs as much as the whole camera too.

I have shot with film SLR only once in my life, when I was 7 or 8 years old. Our school teacher was photography enthusiast (and professional photographer soon after that), so she teached us - those of us who were interested in - photography. I wasn't interested, so I snapped one picture and went back to play football.

But the camera was a Canon. ;-)

I'm afraid Nikon was a distant dream when I was shooting film.

So my tools of choice were a Pentax MX, before moving on to a Pentax LX

The last film camera I owned was a Pentax 6x7. The next camera after that (several years and 2 children later) was a D50 - my first Nikon.

Whilst I loved the LX and the features and options available for it, I think the MX was probably my favourite out of the above.

Given the weight/size of the 6x7, plus lenses, handheld lightmeter, Benbo Tripod etc plus pain of printing the negs/slided, I ended up shooting less with this setup than anything else I owned.

Guest gerhard2006

Started out with a Nikkormat FTn, then to an FE and from there to an F90X which became my favourite because of the view finder which the D700 seems to share. I wear glasses so it was so much easier with the HP view finder. It also had a control back which was handy for making in camera double exposures which was difficult although not impossible with the FE. Later I bought an FA to replace my old FE on my MD-12 motordrive. From there it was the D70. Still miss shooting slides though. No back ups, no photoshop, no hard drive crashes to worry about.

Aha first mention of the FA here. Any reason why it was not even listed for voting ? In my student years , I was not interested in photography, but could not overhear the buzz..

Forgot about the FA and FG's.

Most of my 35mm film shots were done with an F2. I still have several bodies as well as a few Fs, all without meter prisms. I used Lunapro meters. I have the action finder, the 6x finder, as well as the folding W/L finder. As well I have a collection of most of the focusing screens. I used the F2 underwater in a Hydro35 housing. More recently I got an F5 and underwater housing for it.

Edited by Fish_Shooter

I owned a Nikkormat, a Nikon F, a couple of F2 Photomics, and several FEs and FEIIs and finally an F80. I don't have any of them now. I loved the F2 Photomic but the FE range was my real favourite, for their lightness and portability.

I have owned a Nikkormat, a Nikon F, a couple of F2 Photomics, several FEs and FEIIs, and finally an F80. I don't have any of them now. I loved the F2 Photomic but the FE range was my real favourite for its lightness and portability. By the time I had the F80 I had given up 35mm photography and never used anything smaller than 6x7cm except when location scouting.

Well. I used Canon gear when I shot film. My favorite body was F1n with a motor drive. I still have it (and some really old film in the freezer)

Too young to have owned a film camera :D

Though, my dad had a Nikon FM2 and I did get to play with it a bit as a kid. Unfortunately the camera got stolen years back :(.

Edited by willl

Guest Chris101

Forgot about the FA and FG's.

Ya.

FGs were the D90s of yesteryear. Full manual, full automatic, including P mode (set the lens to max aperture, just like today's cameras), OTF flash metering, +2 EV button, in addition to EV dial in 1/3 stop increments, full frame, and a really nice VF display. You just needed to advance, rewind and focus for yourself.

Important Information

By visiting this website you are agreeing to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy & Guidelines.