Admin

Nikon D4

Being clueless, I have to ask: Am I right that it shows the D4 have around 1 stop better dynamic range than the D700?

Still early days as the final versions of the D4 is not out yet but I believe in essence yes...and a little more. I would not be surprised if we see 1-2 stops improvement.

I can't confirm the source of how the tester got a D4, nor do I know the research methods but... if this is true, the D4 seems to be about 2 f-stops better at high ISO when compared to a D3

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/GeneralTopics/Sensors_&_Raw/FX_Read_Noise_Comparison.htm

Edited by percafluvialitis

Guest AndyE

I can't confirm the source of how the tester got a D4, nor do I know the research methods but... if this is true, the D4 seems to be about 2 f-stops better at high ISO when compared to a D3

Bill got the RAW's from Alin Popescu - the Romanian photographer who shared earlier some photos.

Via Iliah Borg (the author of librawc) the NEFs are available for download (280 MB).

CNX2 cant open them but ViewNX and some other converters can. Please be aware that the firmware revision is 0.47 some things will probably change.

Here are the contextual discussions at dpreview including Eric Fossum who joined recently (Eric is the inventor of the CMOS digital sensor)

http://forums.dprevi...essage=40299741

http://forums.dprevi...essage=40314615

While sharing some links, here are the 2 interview links from Rob Galbraith with Toshiaki Akagi , General Manager of the first development division.

Battery: http://www.robgalbra...d=7-11673-12259

AF speed, noise, XQD: http://www.robgalbra...d=7-11673-12267

rgds,

Andy

Edited by AndyE

I'm pretty amazed that people would bother at all to debate cameras with pre-production firmware (0.47 is early days). Nikon usually do a lot of tweaking on the road to firmware 1.0 which is what the first production units will have. I'm saying this because I've seen the improvements in the last stage(s) of development with every Nikon camera I've tested so far.

I am sure you are right Bear. On the other hand, the official FW won't make the DR less than what this pre-production is exhibiting...or?

After reading all this I concluded that Nikon found a way to release a new and more expensive model that will not force a price drop of the previous one, which I think will be still in prodution for a long time.

If I'm not wrong, the F3 was still produced for a very long time after the release of the F4.

Among many things that I love on my D3s is the battery capacity. I almost forget about batteries when I'm travelling. The reduction on this feature (38% less according to Nikon's specifications) is not welcome. Maybe the 150g reduction in the camera's weight is due to this.

Edited by atpaula

I almost forget about batteries when I'm travelling. The reduction on this feature (38% less according to Nikon's specifications) is not welcome. Maybe the 150g reduction in the camera's weight is due to this.

Specifications in this case really don't mean anything. The Nikon product manager has already gone on record that the new battery will provide between 10-15% more shots for situations the typical PJ encounters.

Specifications in this case really don't mean anything. The Nikon product manager has already gone on record that the new battery will provide between 10-15% more shots for situations the typical PJ encounters.

On the D3s page we read 4200 shots/charge and on the D4 2600 shots/charge.

If you are right I'll order my D4 tomorrow. :)

Guest AndyE

On the D3s page we read 4200 shots/charge and on the D4 2600 shots/charge.

If you are right I'll order my D4 tomorrow. :)

Nikon provides 2 values for its battery capacity:

1) To CIPA standards

2) To Nikon standards.

D3s - CIPA: 4200 photos

D3s - Nikon: 4700 photos

Source: handbook

D4 - CIPA: 2600 photos

D4 - Nikon: 5500 photos

1. CIPA: Measured at 23°C/73.4°F (±2°C/3.6°F) with an AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s. Live view not used.
  2. Nikon: Measured at 20°C/68°F with an AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED lens under the following test conditions: vibration reduction off, image quality set to JPEG normal, image size set to L (large), shutter speed 1/250 s, shutter-release button pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times; six shots are then taken in succession and monitor turned on for five seconds and then turned off; cycle repeated once standby timer has expired.

If your shooting style reflects the CIPA pattern, you might loose some shooting capacity. If you rather shoot like the Nikon pattern, you might gain a little.

Andy

Edited by AndyE

Guest gbphoto

....... Maybe the 150g reduction in the camera's weight is due to this.

not so much according to what I can see:

Weights both cameras body only – no batteries, cards, caps or covers:

(source – Nikon Global - unless otherwise stated)

Nikon D3s -1240g

Nikon D4 - 1180g - win to D4 by 60g

Weights with batteries and cards:

Nikon D3s - 1414g (source - Imaging Resource)

Nikon D4 - 1340g - win to D4 by 74g

Edited by gbphoto

What happens if the ambient temperature is less than 40F say 3 to 5C? Also for my use (in a housing in a cold water stream) the camera is powered up for 12 or more hours (I am triggering using a remote cable so not touching on-camera controls).

Divide these numbers of exposures by 3 or 4? Not good.

Nikon provides 2 values for its battery capacity:

1) To CIPA standards

2) To Nikon standards.

D3s - CIPA: 4200 photos

D3s - Nikon: 4700 photos

Source: handbook

1. CIPA: Measured at 23°C/73.4°F (±2°C/3.6°F) with an AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s. Live view not used.
  2. Nikon: Measured at 20°C/68°F with an AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED lens under the following test conditions: vibration reduction off, image quality set to JPEG normal, image size set to L (large), shutter speed 1/250 s, shutter-release button pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times; six shots are then taken in succession and monitor turned on for five seconds and then turned off; cycle repeated once standby timer has expired.

If your shooting style reflects the CIPA pattern, you might loose some shooting capacity. If you rather shoot like the Nikon pattern, you might gain a little.

Andy

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/wetpixel-coverage-of-the-boot-show-2012/

"Seacam has confirmed that they will be supporting both the Canon 1DX and Nikon D4, with expected release dates for housings for both within the first half of 2012."

However, I would not hold my breath. The "gestation" period for my Seacam D2X housing was 9 months.

Looks like the beta testing of underwater housings has already happened.

Andy

These figures are a nice given to compare the camera performances but will say little about what each of us will get in real life as it's depended on so many factors, the one lesson to take from just two tests.

Switch to NEF and those figures will change dramatically, and that's just one variable....

It looks like I will have to a have a few batteries..... which I do with all my cameras. I am more interested in the quality of the photos, etc.