Sign in to follow this  
Guest john deakin

10 2 6

Guest john deakin

D3s, Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens @ f/5. Natural light.

( Interestingly NX2 sees this lens as a 50mm 1.4G :) )

post-11438-0-33608800-1313615185_thumb.j

Guest nfoto

Nice clock face.

NX2 "sees" the lens as 50/1.4 G because that is what the lens reports itself as. As long as it is readable for the program, the software happily accepts whatever specification the lens provides. Thus NX2 has no objection to my 85 mm f/1 G .... or 440 mm f/8 P or whatever the CPU tells, fibs or the truth alike.

Guest john deakin

Good morning and thank you all.

Ann, (unfortunately) I don't own the grandfather clock so I can't answer your questions :). It belongs to great friends of mine who are presently on safari watching the wildebeest migration, whilst I look after their house, I think they got the best end of the deal eh hahaha. I will be popping in again today and will try and remember to have a look to see if there is any info on the clock for you. It does have a most beautiful oak casing and was brought out to SA when they moved here from the UK 7 years ago.

nfoto, thanks for that info regarding NX2, interesting.

Fred, I will await the call from Sigma :), thank you.

John

Guest john deakin

Hi Ann, I looked again this morning for any names or info on the clock and found nothing, which is quite unusual I think ? It is what I think is called a sun or moon clock ? Anyway I wanted you to know I did have another gander :).

Guest frankv

Hi Ann, I looked again this morning for any names or info on the clock and found nothing, which is quite unusual I think ? It is what I think is called a sun or moon clock ? Anyway I wanted you to know I did have another gander :).

When the owners get back, be shure tot ask if you can open the clock and take some pictures of the mechanism itself. On this type of clock it should be a beautiful machine, well wort a photograph or two :-)

The presentation of the clockface is excellent btw.

-frank-

Guest john deakin

Thank you Frank. I will ask the owners and see :), I don't know what we may find in there though ...... this is Africa you know haha.

The owner is a great friend of mine, and also the local camera club chairman ( no, I'm not a member :) ) . So maybe he can make a project of shooting it, after a good clean of 'the innards' I've no doubt haha.

Guest frankv

Thank you Frank. I will ask the owners and see :), I don't know what we may find in there though ...... this is Africa you know haha.

The owner is a great friend of mine, and also the local camera club chairman ( no, I'm not a member :) ) . So maybe he can make a project of shooting it, after a good clean of 'the innards' I've no doubt haha.

Old clocks are as beautiful inside as outside. So it's well worth it. After all, you live in africa, so I suspect that you know how to deal with any unplesantries that might live inside of the clock :-)

-frank-

Guest john deakin

Frank, I will deal with whatever may be 'living' in there, thats for sure :).

A few days ago we had an adult boomslang about to enter the house, a very pretty character too. I gently had hold of it with my snake catcher pincers at arms length and placed it in the bush over the road from the house and it slithered off contently :). A few spiders certainly won't be a problem to also help on their way.

Ann, I will look into it further for you. I understand that the clock mechanism and face should be marked somewhere, indeed, my friends may already know of its history and the name of the maker, they are the sort of people who would. The oak casing looks to be of a country cabinet maker as you say.

Thanks again, John