#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 29 August 2006 - 13:09

What is your opinion of the Nikon FM2(n)? This topic will be indexed on our CAMERAS page.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 henryp

henryp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 04 September 2006 - 14:10

When I was shooting full-time I started with a brace of Nikon FTn bodies and after a while discovered my style required faster x-sync. I traded all but one for three FM2n cameras and used them, each with an MD-12, daily for almost a decade. IMHO the perfect 35mm machine.

#3 Wheat Generation

Wheat Generation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 04 September 2006 - 16:58

I was about to buy one of these when a nice FM3a appeared on my radar screen. I would have been happy with either but I had an interest in the 3a's needle meter. So analog.

#4 darinb

darinb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Montara, California

Posted 04 September 2006 - 18:51

I can't bring myself to sell mine, though I don't shoot 35mm film anymore. I give it a little pretend work-out every now and then to keep it tuned. Funny that our gear has gotten bigger in the digital age...
Darin Boville
www.darinboville.com (photography)
www.photodemocracy.org (journalism and video)

#5 Guest_Seymore_*

Guest_Seymore_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2006 - 20:40

I still own an FM2, FM2n and a FM2t! (sweeeeeet!) ...along with a boatload of MF lenses, from a 24/2.8 to a 200/4. I suspect I'll be buried with at least one of these rigs.

There is much that can be said, and has been said, for the FM2's. Myself, they are stellar workhorses of the analog era. And, IMPO, can be considered the PRO MF bodies of a bygone time.

I still luv that the old MF AI/AIS lenses can be used on todays digital bodies. I don't know of any other bodies that can still use lenses from 30 years ago...

Thanks for starting this thread Dallas! :cool:

#6 dvg

dvg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 23:57

What to say of a camera that can be soaked in sweat under the Greek sun in the summer and if circumstances ask for it to take severe "punishment" without even say "oh"???

A camera that seamlessly fits and works with the MD-12 Motor Drive, posses a LED display that you can still see under strong ambient light, accepts alternative focusing screens and fits almost everywhere (even in your pocket)???

I continuously used the FM2 from 1983 to 2002 as a second body and never, never let me down. I gave the camera to my son and I just could not do without one so I bought a black body, in pristine condition, last summer.

Although not in constant use any more, it often sees action usually coupled to the Nikkor 25-50/4 MF zoom.

FM2 is a milestone in SLR design and production. FM3A is also an excellent camera with more virtues but one serious drawback for me, the needle metering. I think that everyone who shoots in low light conditions will agree to that.

#7 billkoe

billkoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 19:26

I can't bring myself to sell mine, though I don't shoot 35mm film anymore. I give it a little pretend work-out every now and then to keep it tuned.

Funny that our gear has gotten bigger in the digital age...

I'm with you 100% on this. I got one as a back up for my 2 F4's. I sold the F4's but still have the FM2n. I trip the shutter to keep the lubricants from stiffening up but haven't used it for shooting in a very long time.

#8 beyond

beyond
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 11:17

Hi guys, I started off with a D80 two years ago. Along the way, I somehow stumbled upon a mint black FM2n with a 35 mm f2. That was when I really fell in love with mechanical cameras. Now, I have about 4 of them sitting in my drybox. And yes..I love shooting film more than digital. :P

#9 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 08 September 2008 - 20:25

Besides the F2 the FM2 is the best mechanical camera Nikon has ever made. Its robust design is convincing (except this plastic piece on the left side to unlock the film crank). I was in favor of the lightmeters LED-display compared to the needle you could find in the FM2s electronic sisters. Triggered by the Olympus OM series there was a trend in making cameras smaller - in consequence the FM series was smaller than the F series and the Nikkormats, and sometimes I still enjoy walking around with a small camera together with some compact lenses. (one of the disadvantages of the digital SLR era are big cameras and the dominant fat zoom lenses). The FM2 added an 1/4000s shutter speed, that nobody needed to the 1/2000 nobody had needed before (todays high iso photography changed that a little bit) but it was good for world-record advertising. The X250 sync time that came with that speed-shutter was a great leap forward, and till now no 35 mm focal plane shutter has provided X500 (although the shutter speeds climbed to 1/8000s). With the FM2 as your companion, no overloaded controls distract you from experiencing the secrets of photography. It would have been nice if Nikon had added a spot-metering capability, but that was not part of Nikons philosophy at that time.

Wolfgang

#10 rudolfabraham

rudolfabraham

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 23 December 2008 - 23:09

Have had my FM2n for years - the perfect travelling camera, with a 20mm f/2.8 AIS attached - never let me down. Hardly ever used now in the digital era, which is a shame, but wouldn't part with it for the world.

#11 Spectre

Spectre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe Pacific Northwest

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:24

I had my FM2n for quite a few years and looking back, I am sorry I sold it. The compact size and flexibility made it the perfect street carry around camera. I may in the future have to pick another one up. I currently still have one of my F5's but that is a whole different animal.
No pixels were harmed in the making of my images... then again, maybe they were.

#12 RobertM

RobertM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:40

I always loved the results i got from my FM2n. The meter was always right on and it was totally reliable. After moving to digital, I stopped shooting film and believed that such a fine camera should be used so I sold it.
Robert

#13 Nikon Bob

Nikon Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 20:57

I can't add anymore to what others have said, just love the heck out of this camera and it never let me down when traveling. I would ditch my D700 in a minute if an FM2nD were available.

Bob

#14 gerikson

gerikson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:13

I recently bought a used FM2n in "user" condition (as the Leica people would say). Mechanically it's excellent barring a slightly rough mounting. I'm having fun using it with my 28mm series E and 45mm P.

I'm still using c41 film and I'm considering getting film dev gear and a scanner... we'll see!

I too find the difference in size and weight compared to digital significant, and wish manufacturers would consider that when making cameras. Props to Olympus for trying, but  I really can't live with the 4/3 sensor :(

#15 Depp

Depp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationKingston,WA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:48

The FM2n's reliability is legendary for a reason.

Posted Image
Man who says it can not be done should not interrupt man doing it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.