The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

4. 4 Stars (above average) (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (30 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:30

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our LENSES page. Please keep your comments centered on your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 dpowell

dpowell

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:41

This is a great little lens!  That it has CRC and can focus as close as .20m gives it a special kind of versatility, and it's performance in terms of IQ is top notch.  Capable of very sharp images, with very little distortion - it's a great lens to throw on your camera, and just see what you can come up with.

dpowell
"Man cannot discover new oceans, until he has courage to lose sight of the shore."

#3 bobfriedman

bobfriedman

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,742 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 27 April 2008 - 13:27

just a macro shot using the 28/2.8 AIS.. such a nice lens.

Nikon D2x ,Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S 1/250s f/5.6 at 28.0mm iso100
Posted Image
bob

www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

#4 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 699 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:35

On Nikon D3, average(= needs a bit of stopping down) at large object distances, but amazingly good in the close up range. Worth owning if you like lenses that focus close. Extremely low barrel distortion. Can develop looseness in focus mech resulting in side-to-side image judder while racking the focus in and out ; don't know if that can be 'adjusted out'.

Edited by pluton, 29 April 2011 - 17:55 .

Keith B.

#5 Richard_D

Richard_D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 19:25

Exceptionally sharp with very low distortion and negligable CA on a D200. Close focusing superb.

#6 sako

sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationAuckland

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:43

Very, very sharp, especially at close distances. Lacks a little contrast (in comparison to the new Nano coated lenses) as do many older lenses but this can be added PP. A real bargain if you get a good one.

#7 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,266 posts
  • LocationTokyo
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 03 November 2009 - 15:55

A "must have" or at least "worth having" lens for DX (my experience is only with DX).  On DX, it behaves as "true" standard lens (the focal length corresponds to the diagonal length of the format) and superb closeup capability.  It renders great color, the latest super integrated coating version is quite resistant to flare and ghost.  As Richard noted, this lens is almost distortion-free.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#8 ChrisLilley

ChrisLilley

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • LocationNice, France

Posted 28 November 2009 - 20:09

I find this an excellent lens, sharp, vivid colours, very close focus 0f 0.2m. Note that this applies only to the AIS version; AI and older versions are a very different design. On DX, its a handy 'normal' lens. I have not used it on FX so can't speak to edge and corner sharpness there.

I find that I tend to use this lens stopped down, rarely wide open. While I use my 24mm pre-AI wide open more often. Maybe I can characterize the difference as 'crisp, clinical, deep' vs 'characterful, warm, smooth'.

Some samples (I don't have anything handy that shows off the close focus, unfortunately). Photos link to flickr page with larger sizes available.

Saint Hospice chapel at St Jean Cap Ferrat
D90, ISO 320, 1/160s, f/4 (from memory)
Posted Image

Roman baths, Cemenelum
D90, ISO 200, 1/500s, f/8
Posted Image

Rooftop view, Nice
D40, ISO 200, 1/1000s f/8
Posted Image

The big wheel
D40, ISO 200, 1/250s f/8
Posted Image

Camera (ˈkæ mə rə), n. Device for taking pictures in bright light
D7k and primes - on flickr

#9 smok53

smok53

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 28 November 2009 - 22:07

This is very very good lens indeed.

#10 Jason Ross

Jason Ross

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 22:00

If you have a Nikon SLR what ever it is get a Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS Lens, Very good Lens indeed.

#11 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 17 December 2009 - 22:08

One of the classic, "must-have" Nikkors.

Not the best for landscapes due to corners can go a little soft, but wonderful in the close range. A pity it is the only one amongst the 28 Nikkors to have an IR hot spot, though.
Bjørn

#12 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 24 June 2010 - 23:02

(Hey, Steinar, this experiences thread concerns the f/2.8 28mm, not the f/2  :) )

Only having had mine a relatively short while, I've been really impressed with this lens' closeup performance as has been pointed out by others. Carrying this lens and 12mm & 20mm extension tubes when travelling light gives both a sharp moderate wide-angle and a perfectly serviceable macro lens on FX that weighs in total less than 400 grams.

Posted Image
(multi-shot hand-held focus stack, focus shifted by slightly advancing camera between shots)

The thing I really like as I build my AI/AIS collection is the consistent colour and slightly subdued contrast of these lenses, plus that ever-so-slight greenish-yellow "vintage" Nikon image look that they provide as standard. I can see the day when modern zooms are no longer in my bag at all, in fact. Maybe it's the clear Tasmanian air and depleted ozone layer UV rich light, but the modern zooms and primes that I've used always have me battling with excessive contrast in outdoor scenes on the D3 which the AIS series lenses don't seem to be nearly as badly afflicted with.

#13 otoien

otoien

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 882 posts
  • LocationFairbanks, Alaska

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:26

The Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AIS with 0.2 m close focus is the one of my lenses with the most consistent performance across the aperture range, both with respect to resolution and contrast. Performance is excellent at f/2.8, and already improves at f/3.2. (My lens is chipped and registers as a 45mm). The lens has very good micro contrast. I use it on DX, where it an excellent all-rounder: a normal lens, a macro lens rivaling the micro Nikkors in resolution (although not flat field), and a quite decent landscape lens. There is a slight reduction in resolution towards the very edge at infinity, but not enough to worry about compared to what alternatives are doing in this range. I use it a lot for documenting my scientific work, often on a D40x, a very nice little compact package. The small size allows use of the on-camera flash. It is also the lens I use reversed for higher magnification macro. Further it is great for night shots near wide open:

D200  ISO 800 20s, 28mm f/2.8 AIS at f/3.2

Posted Image

Øivind

#14 Scott Murphy

Scott Murphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 26 December 2010 - 23:03

My 28mm f/2.8 AIS is my favorite of my four wide angles (20mm f/2.8, 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2.8) by a good measure. It is wide enough for most situations and it beats the other three not only in resolving power (not to say the others are slouches, not by a long shot), but of the four it is has the best protection from ghosts and flare. The sun in the corner of the frame is no sweat for the 28mm f/2.8.

“Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.”

- Ansel Adams

#15 afoton

afoton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationHovet, Norway

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:55

This is my favorite, and one of my most used lenses. Thanks to the great close-up capability, both near limit and IQ, its a great lens for flower-in-landscape type shots.

#16 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 10 November 2012 - 21:28

I just bought one of these on eBay to complete my prime lenses set; 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.2/f1.4, 105mm f2/f2.5 and 180mm f2.8.
The 28mm will be used mainly for car photography. Looking forward to using this lens as I've read it's a Nikkor classic.

#17 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 20:46

Lens has finally arrived. Delayed because of import issue so I had to pay additional to the customs :rolleyes:

But the lens is ok, almost as new.

First tests show this lens is a great perfromer, sharp already at f2.8 on and a lot of contrast.

f2.8 iso 320
Posted Image

f2.8 iso 2.000
Posted Image

#18 ozone

ozone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 December 2013 - 13:40

Due to the glowing reviews, I have bought this lens 3 (three) times!!!

Sold it each time after carefully comparing against zooms I have (18-55, 18-70), because it always lost out on center sharpness and contrast, believe it or not! Last time on my 24MP!

I always were disappointed, and gradually believed it had to be sample variation, and after some time bought another... Seems I never learn ;-)

I really wanted this lens to be as good as everybody says, but my three copys have been good, but not better than my excellent consumer-zooms.

EDIT: My small and unassuming 35mm f/2.8 K is unbelievable sharp and contrasty over the entire image, and beats the zooms by a mile! Even wide open it is as good as the zooms are at f/5.6!

But that's another story... ;-)

Edited by ozone, 21 December 2013 - 13:45 .

#19 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 December 2013 - 13:46

I have an excellent copy myself. Nothing to complain about.

Do note this lens is best reserved for work in the near and medium range, as it's not equally compatible with remote landscapes.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.