The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

45mm f/2.8P users, your opinions?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AFS

AFS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 July 2006 - 00:20

Well, I know Bjørn has lost a handful (and a handful of these will cost you over $1000 they're so small) but I'm interested in the opinions of the rest of you! Mine just came in yesterday and I got to use it today for the first time. I'm really loving it so far, but haven't done much reviewing on the computer yet, and i'm dealing with the D200's less-than-reliable focus dot for the moment (I'm not sure it's 100% in alignment, but I'm 100% sure my D2HS is *not* in alignment) as all my D1 batteries were dead or hadn't even gotten charged once when I got home. So far I love it though. So small! with the D200 it will make a great kit once the camera works properly again!
Harrison

D3, D700, F2, D1 UVIR, 14-24 AFS N, 24-70 AFS N, 70-200 VR, 400/2.8 AFS II, SB-900, etc...

#2 cyberean

cyberean

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:09

you probably already know how i feel about the 45P, Harrison. :wink:

to remind you though:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and congrats to you on yours.
roman

#3 Guest_patrickh_*

Guest_patrickh_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 02:00

It's a really cool little rascal. Manual focus is two edged - fun, but with limitations. I find it works very well with the D200, I love the depth it gives - colors and shadows. Enjoy it

#4 NB24

NB24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 05:11

Great pics, Roman! I like the 45P. It has excellent colors and a certain "crunch".
Have you visited my Allergy?

#5 Derrel

Derrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:31

I think the 45-P has some utility as a close-range lens used with an extension tube,something from 12 to around 25 millimeters; it makes very 'pretty' images, less clinical I think than the 60 AF-D,and with a somewhat wide-angle of view in close-range mode. I've tried it on floral close-ups and a few other things, just getting a feel for it,and think it really draws the image in a more-pleasing way than many dedicated macro lenses do. It works okay reversed on the BR-3,but working distance is very short. I've heard it's a very good lens when used on a bellows,but have not tried it thusly. I think it works best at closer ranges; at longer distances, I've had some problems arriving at spot-on focusing; the focus ring travel is VERY rapid past ten feet or so,and a millimeter too much turning one way or the other and the focus is off at wider apertures.
--
Happy Shooting!
Derrel
http://www.pbase.com/derrel

#6 Guest_rodneyAB_*

Guest_rodneyAB_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:18

the lens...i have to work at focus, with it mounted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the first image shows focus issues i had/continue to have

#7 Guest_rodneyAB_*

Guest_rodneyAB_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:35

the 45P was my first lens beyond the 18-70 kit on D70. it was difficult to find focus thru the D70 viewfinder. the first image above does not seem well focused to me, this is my problem with the screen designed for autofocus in a too small viewfinder. switching to a camera with larger viewfinder made use of the 45P much more enjoyable, i do wish NIKON made interchangeable focusing screens....i really miss the precise split prism screen on my OM1/OM2...and i much prefer manually focusing my AF primes

#8 AFS

AFS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 31 July 2006 - 14:11

Have you looked into the "Katz Eye" split screen? I have been looking at them for a while....
Harrison

D3, D700, F2, D1 UVIR, 14-24 AFS N, 24-70 AFS N, 70-200 VR, 400/2.8 AFS II, SB-900, etc...

#9 stickbowguy67

stickbowguy67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 16:44

I would love to try one of these but would it meter on my F100?
stickbowguy67..AKA "Mike"
D300,Nikon FM10, EL,  SB600 and some Nikon Glass
Medalight 4001 ML strobes(2)
Pentax , Sigma and mamiya 35mm

#10 Guest_rodneyAB_*

Guest_rodneyAB_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 18:48

Have you looked into the "Katz Eye" split screen? I have been looking at them for a while....

have seen reference to it...never looked into it, but, thanks i'll check them out closer

#11 Guest_rodneyAB_*

Guest_rodneyAB_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 18:51

I would love to try one of these but would it meter on my F100?

think it should...meters on my D2Hs...thought i read somewhere, the 45 was intended as a match for the FM3a, a body that I'd like to find, now that it is discontinued

#12 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 31 July 2006 - 18:55

Any 45P, given that you are able to locate your copy, will meter with any Nikon made from 1977 onwards. Any 45P, again assuming you can find it, will be an excellent performer in IR.
Bjørn

#13 docsol

docsol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMilton, NY

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:04

Would the split screen work with a D200?
Ken. D200, F100, 10.5, 17-35, 28-70, 85 1.4, 70-200 VR, 200AIS Micro, 105 VR Micro, 35 F2, 28 F2.8.

#14 stickbowguy67

stickbowguy67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI.

Posted 31 July 2006 - 19:05

Thanks, thats good to know. Now im on a hunt for one
stickbowguy67..AKA "Mike"
D300,Nikon FM10, EL,  SB600 and some Nikon Glass
Medalight 4001 ML strobes(2)
Pentax , Sigma and mamiya 35mm

#15 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 July 2006 - 23:59

The really nice thing about packing for a new trip is that I get the needed impulse to scan through all my cupboards, closets, car trunk, photo vests, or under the computer stands, to find the lenses I have put on my packing list. Today, as I commenced putting together gear for a new trip starting tomorrow, I did in fact find my long-lost 45P. So to please it and reduce its agony over having been lost for such a long time, I allowed it to come along with me (in a presumably safe position in my inner zipped pocket in my Russian photo vest). Now, the only lens on my list that hasn't made it so far is the 10.5 Fisheye. Darned. I wish every lens had the size of a 200/2, since I tend find those when I bump my toes into them. When I return from that trip in a week's time and if the 45 still is with me, I'm going to lock it up for good. True, I managed to negotiate a 50% discount on them by reference to their nasty habit of disappearing, but my Nikon contacts had a slightly depressed face when I came around to purchase the third one in a row. I did promise that should be the last one, and locking it up is a fail-safe method to keep that promise :smile:. I'm going to use the 45 on the trip for shooting IR with my modified D200. Just in case anyone wondered. Since I've lost silver as well as black samples, I don't think the colour of the lens barrel is significant. Either variety can vanish into thin air.
Bjørn

#16 AFS

AFS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:43

Would the split screen work with a D200?

http://katzeyeoptics.com/

They make models for most of the Nikons out there right now... D200, D100, D70/s, D50, D2h/s, and D2X.

Bjørn, glad you found it! and doubly glad to hear about its IR performance!

IR lens kit is now 2 strong :rolleyes:
Harrison

#17 Guest_rodneyAB_*

Guest_rodneyAB_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:24

ah..thanx Harrison for the link...looks like that'll do the trick

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:46

I'm going to use the 45 on the trip for shooting IR with my modified D200. Just in case anyone wondered.

glad you found your lens:) we all heard about you losing thos etiny little lens. i was lucky enough to locate a new 45p in HK. anyway i would love to see your 45p ir pics soon.
Nikon d2x: 17-55, 85 1.4d, 50 1.4d, 45 2.8p, 2 28 1.4d, sb800

#19 GaySatyr

GaySatyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationDurham NC USA

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:05

:smile: Bjørn, if I follow you around and find all the lenses smaller than the 200 f/2 that you lose, may I keep a third of them as commission? :wink:
~ Ed

Equipment listed in introductory post . . . .

#20 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 09 August 2006 - 11:43

You're entirely welcome, Ed. Add friends and colleagues as well, since they occasionally experience the same problem with lenses borrowed from me. Thus, I just discovered who had had my 14/2.8 for three years, but he couldn't find it when I asked.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.