The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (15 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,150 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 07 January 2008 - 18:36

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our LENSES page. Please keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses For Nikons" board instead.

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 RobertM

RobertM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:12

I just received my 500VR and have very limited experience with it, but can say the IQ is fabulous, AF acquisition is excellent and it takes a TC 1.4 very well.
This lens is heavy but can be hand-held. The 400 and 600 lenses are heavier than the 500 and for me, require the use of a tripod. For birding...this is the lens imho, and with a TC 1.4, the extended range to 700mm is available without adding any significant weight.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Robert

#3 Clammer

Clammer

• Life Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBoston area
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 05 May 2010 - 22:17

As good as you'd expect for the price, which is enormous.

I've had this lens since February and have used it mainly for bird photography.  Its image quality is excellent; its sharpness consistently surpasses that of my 200-400mm VR.  It is capable of nicely sharp images handheld:

[img alt="Osprey Levitating"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31458&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

It has very little distortion - this is a wedding I photographed from 2000 feet/600 meters feet away while I was birding at the other end of the field:

[img alt="Crane Estate"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31497&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

My copy takes the 1.7x TC very nicely, though that's too long for really good results handheld.  I used a monopod for this shot, taken late in the day as light was fading:

[img alt="Crested Caracara"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31500&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

With the TC attached, handheld snapshots are a little bit disappointing, though that's probably not a fair comment at 850mm.  This bald eagle overhead is a little bit smeary, though I was glad to get it at all:

[img alt="Bald Eagle"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31494&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

As a birding lens this is about at the limit of what you can carry with you on a trail or hike - if I hadn't been used to the 200-400mm VR I wouldn't have been able to carry it far or handhold it, I think.  It's also too big for casual birding in any kind of wooded area or for birds on the wing:  there's just too much magnification to catch anything fast-moving unless you're really well prepared.

I've gotten excellent results with the D700, possibly even better (to my surprise) than with the D300S.  A possible explanation:  I'm usually shooting handheld while exploring an area, so being able to crank the ISO and use a fast shutter speed may be more important than the extra magnification possible with the DX format.  More serious bird photographers (who use better technique and aren't shooting from the hip all the time) swear by the D300S, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

see my photos at www.pbase.com/clamflats

#4 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 21:43

Awesome lens and amazingly compact once you've learned your way with exotics, with the long and slim hood reversed it fitted perfectly in the Kiboko bag for air and car travel.

IQ was of course on a very high level and even with the 1.7TC very good quality could be achieved when I did my part.

850mm, handheld (while lying on flat on the ground) wide open at f/6.7:
Posted Image

Sharpness with the 1.7TC improved rapidly at f/8:
Posted Image

Auto focus was very speedy and still fast enough with the mentioned TC in decent light, a bit slower but solid anyway.

All in all a very cool, flexible and usably tele lens, well suited for global use.

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#5 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 28 June 2011 - 22:24

As good as you'd expect for the price, which is enormous.

I've had this lens since February and have used it mainly for bird photography.  Its image quality is excellent; its sharpness consistently surpasses that of my 200-400mm VR.  It is capable of nicely sharp images handheld:

[img alt="Osprey Levitating"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31458&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

It has very little distortion - this is a wedding I photographed from 2000 feet/600 meters feet away while I was birding at the other end of the field:

[img alt="Crane Estate"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31497&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

My copy takes the 1.7x TC very nicely, though that's too long for really good results handheld.  I used a monopod for this shot, taken late in the day as light was fading:

[img alt="Crested Caracara"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31500&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

With the TC attached, handheld snapshots are a little bit disappointing, though that's probably not a fair comment at 850mm.  This bald eagle overhead is a little bit smeary, though I was glad to get it at all:

[img alt="Bald Eagle"]http://www.fotozones.com/ngallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=31494&g2_GALLERYSID=78c4726f621e3e6885b762d30eaa6c39[/img]

As a birding lens this is about at the limit of what you can carry with you on a trail or hike - if I hadn't been used to the 200-400mm VR I wouldn't have been able to carry it far or handhold it, I think.  It's also too big for casual birding in any kind of wooded area or for birds on the wing:  there's just too much magnification to catch anything fast-moving unless you're really well prepared.

I've gotten excellent results with the D700, possibly even better (to my surprise) than with the D300S.  A possible explanation:  I'm usually shooting handheld while exploring an area, so being able to crank the ISO and use a fast shutter speed may be more important than the extra magnification possible with the DX format.  More serious bird photographers (who use better technique and aren't shooting from the hip all the time) swear by the D300S, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Great shots. You might cost me a lot of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.