The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (56 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Stars (average) (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 4 Stars (above average) (1 votes [1.75%])

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

5. Voted 5 Stars (outstanding) (56 votes [98.25%])

Percentage of vote: 98.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 07 January 2008 - 18:28

What is your experience with this lens? This topic will be indexed on our LENSES page. Please keep your comments related to your experiences with this lens so that others may draw value from them. Off topic comments will be removed.

You may post sample images taken with the lens in this thread. If you have a question relating to the lens, please don't ask here, use the "Lenses For Nikons" board instead. 

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 07 January 2008 - 18:42

In optical terms, there is not much negative to say about this lens. Probably one of the best lens designs ever from Nikon. Unfortunately, the tripod collar is really bad  despite the foot itself being so short. Thus, you can easily get unsharp images around 1/15 sec no matter what quality tripod/head you put the lens on.

VR is occasionally useful when you hand-hold the lens, but can be destructive to the image quality if left in the ON position when the lens is attached to a sturdy tripod.

The 200/2 AI/AIS is eclipsed by the new 200VR as far as image quality goes, but the older model had much better tripod mount.
Bjørn

#3 quarks

quarks
  • Life Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 20:33

This lens is great, especially wide open and it even works just great with my TC14. Therefore I love it, because I never felt that I need a 300 f2.8.
Besides that there are very few minor things I don't like that much: quite heavy weight, "strange" VR switch and it is not possible to use the same polarizing filter on my 200-400 VR (which I like even more).
Regards
Marcus

Attached Images

• D2XS_2788_NXraw_crop_web.jpg

#4 rockport5

rockport5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:13

. Nothing negative to say .
God bless Nikon  :) :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 AFS

AFS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 16:19

It may be big, it may be heavy, it may be somewhat specialized, but this lens remains my favorite and one of my most used. I'm constantly using it with and without the TC14EII for all sorts of stuff. I am never disappointed. I kicked myself when I sold my first copy when I switched to Canon over the summer, and when I switched back I could hardly wait to get back to one, even though the 300/2.8VR's native reach had the potential to be a bit more useful. That decision has saved my skin a few times.
Harrison

D3, D700, F2, D1 UVIR, 14-24 AFS N, 24-70 AFS N, 70-200 VR, 400/2.8 AFS II, SB-900, etc...

#6 Jurjen_S

Jurjen_S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 23:58

This lens is unbelievable.
It costs a lot of money but after I have used it for some time I have come to the conclusion that it actually is a bargain.

A portrait, full open, some sharpening to the eyes, no other pp:
Posted Image

Click here for a larger version.

#7 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 21 March 2009 - 18:20

Evident "stellar" image quality. 
Maybe because its the only Nikkor (I know of ) including a "Super ED" glass element (any knowledge about what that is and why it has not been used in any other Nikkor so far?)
It is not on my wishlist due to the tripod collar flaw (already have got a 300/2,8 as well)

BTW: Wonderful waxwings rockport5! (haven't thought before that the limited range of this lens enables you to do captures like that.)
Wolfgang

#8 anabasis

anabasis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouthold, NY

Posted 05 February 2010 - 17:12

Optically, this is the best lens in my Nikon arsenal.  Sharp, fast focusing, well built, and the best BOKEH of any Nikkor I have.

I also have a Leica APO 180mm f2 Summicron and it has a far better tripod foot.  The Nikkor's just isn't as solid.  Fortunately I am either hand holding or using a monopod for the work I do with it, so this isn't as big a flaw for me as others.

Despite the foot, its a 5-star lens and worth the money if you are willing to lug it around with you.

JCA

#9 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:13

Amazing lens, really honored to own one. Point it at something and the magic happens, it never ceases to amaze me.

The AF is blazing fast on the D3s, it's incredibly sharp, performs extremely good with the 1.7TC for a versatile 200/2 & 340/3.3 combo and it's build to last. I replaced the tiny foot with a RRS foot which also serves as a nice carrying handle. The hood is made from aluminum and very wide, some don't like this (tends to collect rain) but I actually do as it permits me to hold the lens by gripping the hood's edge without any ill effect. Although the lens is rather heavy it's also very short with the same length as the 70-200/2.8, it's just a lot fatter ;D

The lens with hood and RRS replacement foot:
Posted Image

Compared to the 180/2.8 AF ED (note the stupidly small original foot):
Posted Image

But where this lens of course really shines is it's ability to render a buttery smooth transition from focussed to out of focus items, again it never ceases to amaze me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The 200mm and f/2 aperture combo comes in very handy when one needs to blur the background as much as possible:
Posted Image

As mentioned it works very well with the 1.7TC for 340mm @ f/3.3, sharp wideopen to really sharp from f/4 onwards:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#10 scottnilsson

scottnilsson

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2010 - 19:14

Amazing lens, really honored to own one. Point it at something and the magic happens, it never ceases to amaze me.

Wholly seconded.  I went with the Kirk LP-51 foot, and often use their SGH-1 Super Grip when free-handing it - or the 200-400 - for extended periods (the Grip has been poked at here, but it is a Godsend to my left hand on long days); alternately, it is my #1 theatre/church lens on a monopod.

I can not imagine anyone being less then overwhelmed by the bokeh and seductive IQ: this is still my most cherished lens, thought the 24/1.4G now runs a close seconds (and the 85/1.4G is exquisite - but I tend to prefer wider or tighter).

From most of what I have read so far, I will probably stay with the VR1 version - as with the 200-400 - as the enhancements, while real, seem too incremental to warrant the differential in cost.  If you're hedging a decision, the VR1 will probably become a great value purchase as the VR IIs roll out to the magazines/sports groups and pro shooters with true need (or just much deeper pockets than mine): you would never regret it.

Scott Nilsson / Atlanta
http://scottnilssonphotography.com
https://www.facebook...sonPhotographer
http://scottnilsson.zenfolio.com (new site-build in progress)

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..." ~ Wayne Gretzky

#11 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 06 January 2012 - 15:10

Just three words: GO GET ONE
Stunning lens!
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#12 scottnilsson

scottnilsson

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 09 March 2012 - 21:10

The AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2G IF-ED - the first version of this venerable classic - has been my goto lens for four years for portraits, weddings, stage, dance... and anything for which its reach on FX (or DX) is not too long. My first shoot with it was a Balanchine festival (ballet/stage shoot) on an out-of-the-box D3 from 100+ feet, and you could read the brand on the sole of a pointe shoe and appreciate the false eyelashes and mascara from that distance.

Some day I may feel/see the need for an upgrage, but this first version never fails to deliver gorgeous, rich images with both extraordinarily sharp subject-focus, and breathtaking bokeh.

Caveat: if you rent or borrow one - you will never want to be without it in your bag again.

Edited by scottnilsson, 09 March 2012 - 21:13 .

Scott Nilsson / Atlanta
http://scottnilssonphotography.com
https://www.facebook...sonPhotographer
http://scottnilsson.zenfolio.com (new site-build in progress)

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..." ~ Wayne Gretzky

#13 dafrogman

dafrogman
  • Life Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:11

The AFS 200 f2 VR1 or VR2 has been a dream lens for me and one that took about 6 years of "waiting" to get but it was well worth it. I got it basically as my go to tool for low light concerts and indoor sports situations. I finally received "Fat Boy" two weeks ago and last week managed to get the chance to use it on my D3s at a dimly lit school performance.

I now know why so many users use the term "Never fails to leave a smile on my face". It is the consummate concert tool shot wide open in as dark as you can get to. I also cannot believe the absence of any CA even off single strands of hair, irrespective of lighting. Absolutely epic piece of glass.

Its worth noting that hand holding is possible but to extract its real potential, at the least, a monopod is mandatory, in my case an RRS MC-34 with the MH-02 head.

A quick pic in low blue light at 1/200s, ISO 6400. A touch of noise reduction and sharpening applied.

Thank you Nikon.

Saimee

Attached Images

• Showcase2012J Resize.jpg

#14 percafluvialitis

percafluvialitis

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 20:09

There's not much to be added about this lens as the points I would have written have already been mentioned. This is a scaringly good lens, I can't believe someone rated it 4 stars - show me a lens which delivers the same sharpness when coupled with a TC-20E III Aspherical?

This lens is so good I can't see what lens in this focal length would be capable of the same AF speed and sharpness, with or without the TC-14/17/20.
Vilhelm

#15 mrdale

mrdale

• Subscriber
  • 23 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 08 May 2013 - 16:17

I have heard that the HK-30 lens hood will fit this lens.  Anyone have knowledge of this ?  And if it fits are there any problems shooting with it ?  I'm interested since the HK-30 is composite plastic instead of metal and shorter as well.

dale

www.flickr.com/photos/photodale

#16 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 17:21

Yes it does, but can't be reversed because of foot position.

Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.