Photo
- - - - -

AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this lens (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this lens

1. 1 Star (appalling) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 Stars (below par) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Stars (average) (8 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Voted 4 Stars (above average) (41 votes [42.71%])

Percentage of vote: 42.71%

5. 5 Stars (outstanding) (47 votes [48.96%])

Percentage of vote: 48.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BillM

BillM

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 286 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, Virginia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 April 2010 - 00:16

5/5:  Mine is the 3rd 85 f/1.8 Nikkor I've owned.  First is still around an older pre-ai lens that I converted to ai with a file, an AIS version that was sold when I got the the AFD a while back.

Did i mention I really like the 85mm focal length for film and FX (if I had one).  It was almost always on one of my F2's, then F3, N90 and N80.

A bit long for everyday on DX but a wonderful lens nonetheless.

Best Regards, Bill

.... it all gets better as we grow younger and thinner.

#22 Airee

Airee

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,073 posts
  • LocationLille

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:08

Excellent on FX. Beware of purple fringing when shooting dark subjects against a light background wide open, though.

#23 Marc Schlueter

Marc Schlueter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 320 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 03 October 2010 - 13:03

A very nice lens for the money!
Wide open it looses a bit contrast and sharpness. Bokey wide open can also a bit harsh.
For portraits I prefere it at f/2.5, because the background gets noticebly smoother.

Posted Image

Edited by Marc Schlueter, 08 December 2011 - 08:13 .

'A circle of confusion is a group of photographers having a round table discussion about depth of field' - Mark Dubovoy

#24 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:46

Voted "average".
Was pretty disappointed by this one.: Heavy bokeh-CA, the worst repeatability of AF in any lens I had, although sharpness even wide open is good (if you can find the exact focus). When the sun shines into the lens contrast actually is reduced when stopping down (due to reflections from the aperture blades).
You can find more detailed information and sample images via my signature.
  • Pistolio likes this

Thomas (moderator and lens-tester at Camera Labs)
All my lens reviews, My Photography Blog, My photos

#25 Ole Boye

Ole Boye
  • Life Member
  • 2 posts
  • Locationamager

Posted 01 March 2012 - 18:52

I Have got the AF (not the AF-D)
I think it is the best 85mm (haven`t tryed the AF-S)
And no One distinguishes between the AF and the AF-D
On Photodo the rating for the AF 85mm 1,8D is 4 ,0 and the AF 85mm 1,8 is 4,2
And last but not the leest it have got a metal housing
Regards Ole

#26 Pistolio

Pistolio
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:04

Got this lens brand new two years ago and i think it's average.I use it on FX regular cameras and on DX infrared cameras.On my D700 and D800,it isn't very sharp until F4.0 because of the very low contrast.From F4.0 to F11.0,it's sharp.For IR ,it's almost useless since the contrast and definition are so low across the range.The bokeh is so-so for a portrait lens.

There are much better options right now for those who want a short telephoto.The Nikkor AFS 85 (F1.4 and F1.8 are much sharper up to F4.0 and so is the Nikkor 105 VR micro.The Sigma 85F1.4 is also a better lens.Recommended only if you can have one used at a low cost but then again,there are so much more enjoyable manual focus lenses out there to play with!!  B)

Edited by Pistolio, 03 April 2013 - 17:06 .

#27 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43

Got this lens brand new two years ago and i think it's average.I use it on FX regular cameras and on DX infrared cameras.On my D700 and D800,it isn't very sharp until F4.0 because of the very low contrast.From F4.0 to F11.0,it's sharp.For IR ,it's almost useless since the contrast and definition are so low across the range.The bokeh is so-so for a portrait lens.

There are much better options right now for those who want a short telephoto.The Nikkor AFS 85 (F1.4 and F1. 8) are much sharper up to F4.0 and so is the Nikkor 105 VR micro.The Sigma 85F1.4 is also a better lens.Recommended only if you can have one used at a low cost but then again,there are so much more enjoyable manual focus lenses out there to play with!!  B)

Hm, I agree with you that the G version may be a better choice today but in my experience this lens is usable below f4.

f2 iso 250

5021529610_7a7ebddcf3_o.jpg

f2 iso 200

5021531912_f80fce8579_o.jpg

f2.8, iso 560

8411443241_a8976f632a_o.jpg

#28 Pistolio

Pistolio
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2013 - 17:15

Great photos!I didn't say unusable but for hair splitting guys like me,it's not sharp and contrasty enough natively wide open to f2.8.There are simply better options out there now.

#29 Dan Brown

Dan Brown

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 201 posts
  • LocationFort Worth
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:39

For the money, I don't think there are many lenses that can touch it. Solid five stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.