The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,169 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:58

What is your experience with the Nikon SB-600 Speedlight? Let us know what you have used it for and how well it has helped you to get the right images.

This topic will be indexed on our equipment pages.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRoyal Oak, Michigan

Posted 22 January 2008 - 23:01

I'm on my second SB-600. I also have two (2) SB-24s.

It took me a long time to realize that the sB-24s are about 1 stop more powerful than the SB-600s. That being the case, and since the SB-800 is in line with the SB-24, I expect the SB-800 to be about 1 stop more powerful than the SB-600. This isn't terribly obvious from the literature and Nikon's website. I'm mentioning this first because the inevitable question one asks when decideing between the SB-600 and 800 are, what are the differences? The difference in output is not usually well understood.

That being said, the SB-600 is highly satisifactory. It does CLS well. Bouncing it upward against ceilings indoors, I can shoot at ISO100 and f2.8 with almost no problems and ISO 100 and f4 without underexposure about 50% of the time (you need to be very careful with incidence angles though). It is considerably more compact than the SB-800.

All in all if I had to do it over, I would have gotten an SB-800 and added SB-600s after the fact, but I think the SB-600 is great on its own.
Manufacturing engineer by day, musician at night, philosopher by training.

#3 dpowell

dpowell

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 January 2008 - 23:41

My SB-600 is a nice little flash.  Used it yesterday for some baby shots, outdoors on a sunny day, but under a tree in the shade.  Used the '600 with a Stofen diffuser, angled up slightly, and it did a great job as a fill flash.  I'm keen to add an SB-800 to my kit though for more options with CLS.
"Man cannot discover new oceans, until he has courage to lose sight of the shore."

#4 aroundomaha

aroundomaha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 23:36

Quite good but not superb
I've been very happy with my SB600 and it has logged thousands of shots for me, serving as my only flash for several years. The ability to tilt and swivel the head along with reasonable power output make it a wonderful tool to have in the bag. I was always extremely happy with it until.... I got an older SB28 and was comparing how the two perform for my strobist type shots. Hands down my SB28 is more powerful, has more features and made me realize that while the SB600 is quite good, it has its limits.

One thing I wish it had was a jack to trigger it using a cable input. Other than that, I'd say for the money you won't go wrong with it as a general purpose Nikon TTL flash. If brute power is your game or strobist stuff then I'd spend the money on an older SB28 or similar Nikon flash.

#5 Guest_Doug_*

Guest_Doug_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 15:27

I find the sb-600 does what it is intended to do, but find many situations wher I would like more power especially when using a light diffuser. I am not technically up as much on flashes as much as I should be so could use some advise in this regard concerning a more powerful flash.

#6 gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 03 August 2009 - 14:09

This is a great flash unit.

I use it for on camera fill flash and as a bounce flash(either directly to the ceiling/wall or I also use a Demb Diffuser Pro setup at times).

While not as powerful as say the SB-800/900, I do not use the flash to bounce out of umbrellas or large softboxes(I have dedicated light kits for that).  I have it for sports or times when the on body flash from teh D50 or D300 would not work well(which is most of the time).

Andrew

Nikon D300, D700, Df, D50(sold) and N90s
Nikkor 24/2.8, 50/1.8D, 24-85/3.5-4.5VR, 35-70/3.3-4.8, 55-200/4-5.6VR(sold), 80-200/2.8, 300/4(non AFS)

Tamron 17-50/2.8(sold), 90/2.8 1:1 macro, 70-300/4-5.6VC
SB-600, SB-22/26/28 speedlight

Olympus OM-D E-M5
Olympus 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 40-150/4-5.6

Mamiya C33 w/ 80/2.8, Voigtlander Brilliant, Zeiss Ikon Ikonta A 520, Kodak Signet 35, Graflex Speed Graphic

Fuji X10(sold), Fuji X-E1(sold), Fuji 18mm/35mm/55-200(all sold)

http://www.bestlightphoto.net
http://www.visualohio.com

http://bestlightphoto.blogspot.com

#7 Omkara

Omkara

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:14

I like this flash unit. I find it to be more than what I need most of the time. I have been toying with the idea of trying the tiny SB-400, especially after I saw a couple of pictures posted in the D700 area the other day. In general, I prefer to use no flash or as little flash as possible. I have found that when shooting in mixed lighting this flash works wonders, like with incandescents and fluorescents.

#8 netr

netr

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWellington
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:29

I like it.  Although it is less powerful than my SB-26, I can use a somewhat higher ISO for digital shots than the 50 I was using with Velvia, so I have come out ahead in terms of what I was used to being able to shoot.  But after we get used to something, we want a bigger one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.