#1 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 29 July 2006 - 16:35

I drove many hundreds of km in conjunction with the historic Venus passage in 2004. in order to get to a location without detrimental cloud cover. All of these efforts netted me two (2) images of the Passage, and here is one of them, taken in ultraviolet by the way.

Posted Image

Nikon D70 and a Russian 1000 mm mirror lens with B+W 403 filter.
Bjørn

#2 madhatter

madhatter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 548 posts
  • LocationLbeck, SH

Posted 29 July 2006 - 17:08

Again, a very fascinating shot. A wonderful different look of it.

[quote=nfoto]I drove many hundreds of km in conjunction with the historic Venus passage in 2004.[/quote]
I think that is why I can hardly remember this, because you weren't able to see it in my area.

[quote]taken in ultraviolet by the way.
Oh, thanks for mentioning. I wouldn't have noticed... :)

Cheers,
Arvid

Arvid

Gear: Nikon D2H, F3, FM2n, Nikkor AF 20mm f/2.8 D, AF 50mm f/1.4 D, AI 50mm f/1.8, AIS 105mm f/2.8 Micro, C 135mm f/2.8 Q.C. (AI'd)
Wishlist: Nikkor AF DX 10,5mm f/2.8 G ED

#3 Seanna

Seanna

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,470 posts
  • LocationSatellite Beach, FL
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 30 July 2006 - 19:54

WOW!!! I think it was worth all the time and effort you put in to capture this image.
When riding in a time machine far into the future . . . don't stick your elbow out the window . . . or it'll turn into a fossil

#4 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 July 2006 - 20:05

So, without further ado, here is the other of the Venus Passage images. this is a composite (obviously) of many images taken within the 6 hours of duration of this historic event. No living person on Earth had seen this before, since the last one occurred in the 1880s.

Posted Image

Bjørn

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 July 2006 - 20:17

In the unlikely case you should wonder about the setup for this event, here is an overview,

Posted Image

The numbers are as follows,
1. 1400 mm mirror lens (visible light).
2. 1000 mm mirror lens (visible light and IR).
3. 600 mm mirror lens (UV).
4. Radio-controlled precision watch.
5. Mineral water, you tend to get thirsty on such occasions.
6. Heaps of CF-cards, backup cable releases, extra batteries, and more.
7. Well-ripened bananas (instant energy supply).
8. Director's chair, you need to sit down over a period of 6 hours.
9. Stero running at full blast (in my little red Peugeot, outside the frame). I went through lots of Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, and the Danish group Savage Rose.

I did shots every 10 minutes with each and acumulated many GB worth of raw data.

Was it worth the while? Of course. I never felt more insignificant in my entire life as the black dot of Venus entered the solar disc. This was a celestial event that humans could predict and time to the microsecond , but never would have any possibilty of alter or taking control over. Sort of gives you the proper Universal perspective.

Bjørn

#6 NB24

NB24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 00:03

That's extraordinary! Tell me Bjorn, how much is a 11x14 print of your work worth? I love and collect art. My walls are covered with paintings and Kilims. I don't have my photography on my walls, for obvious reasons (to me). I'd love to own one of your prints and have it hung on a wall. I'm interested in purchasing one...
Have you visited my Allergy?

#7 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 July 2006 - 00:18

Anything goes, Neil. I take it that you wished the photo of my gear setup :smile:. If you considered one of the others, I'll have to check with my stock library. The print size isn't prohibitive, but quality printing does cost some. I prefer printing on canvas myself.
Bjørn

#8 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,417 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 July 2006 - 00:25

And come to think of it, the first (UV) image was taken with the D70. It is well known that the CCD of D70 exhibits a nasty tendency to CCD "blooming" and this is considered a weakness of the imager. So the more entertaining that it was exactly the "blooming" feature, plus internal reflections in the cheap Russian mirror lens, that produced the wonderful colour pattern surrounding the solar disc. We should always focus on the end of the journey, not the road to arrive there. The image was delivered to my stock agency the next morning and sold immediately.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users