The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon FM3a

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,153 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:50

What is your opinion of the Nikon FM3a? 

Please help me finance Fotozones by disabling your ad blocker for this site.

You can also support Fotozones by buying your gear from our affiliate advertisers using these links:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC or DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 nimix

nimix

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2007 - 20:54

Take the best 2 semiprofessional MF cameras ever made and make 1 out of them:
FM2 + FE2 = FM3.
I don't like cocktails.
I prefer straight.
So my choice would always be FM2

nimix

#3 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 November 2007 - 13:33

I bought one after i had the F80 (N80) already, to go back to basic.

I love the needle meter, although you can't see it in the dark.
HansC, doin' life

#4 smhese

smhese

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:26

The best camera for being out in the wild for a very long time and as a fall back, as a small companion and for star trails. This camera is a little wonder for all of the extreme long exposure tasks. For me its just good to know that if all fails I can take the FM3a and burn some Velvia. The only problem imo is the incompatibility with G-type lenses (or better the other way around: Gtype beeing not nice to FMx cameras). For all kind of long exposures the camera is just the right tool. Use a mechanical cable release and you are set for 5 hour exposures: no problem, only have to make sure that nobody nicks your setup :).  Ill never sell this little jewel thats for sure! I recently wrote some text about the FM3a on my website under www.soerenhese.de for those interested.

SH

#5 tetrode

tetrode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 00:11

Perfection! Here's mine:

Posted Image

#6 tetrode

tetrode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 00:27

And, for a sense of scale:

Posted Image

#7 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 07 September 2008 - 15:18

When the FM3a came out I had no need going for it because I always owned an FM2N and the FE2. It looked a little overpriced as well. Having the comparison with the latest members of The FM and FE families I found it mislabelled. It was an FE2 with hybrid shutter and it definitely had more features of the FE than of the FM series so they should have named it FE3 or better FH instead.
Wolfgang

#8 Shac

Shac

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 866 posts
  • LocationWhite Rock, BC

Posted 07 September 2008 - 18:11

I'm with SH on this one. Great film camera for hiking/backpacking. Love the features - could only be improved IMO with spot metering and ratchet film wind.

#9 OFEY-Kalakar

OFEY-Kalakar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:07

Perfect companion for B&W film. Compact small but mighty little beast of a camera!

Attached Images

• Amsterdam-Figaro-Barber-of HarlemPortrait.jpg

Rules are made to be broken. I've broken all of them, with great success!

#10 PatrickO

PatrickO

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 584 posts
  • LocationLeeds

Posted 03 October 2009 - 16:28

My take on the FM3a...

I usually reach for the FM because the FM3a was too pricey to take it where I want to use a rugged manual camera. That said, I have used mine and now that prices are dropping will probably consider buying a spare.

I love the simplicity, the ergonomics are excellent, the small size, not having to carry spare batteries, chargers and memory (OK, just film), the reliable metering, the beautiful screen, and the use of metal.

I forget what lens I used here (probably the 35mm f/1.4). Taken on Velvia, scanned on a Coolscan 5.

Posted Image
  • d33 likes this

#11 steve.verhoef

steve.verhoef
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationStratford

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:44

I love peering into the FM3a viewfinder.

In 2013 I find I reach for it more than my D800.

• d33 and Zivereer like this

#12 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,621 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 13:13

My FE2 chewed batteries like it was going out of style. Obviously a wiring fault, but not worth fixing.

#13 borden1812

borden1812

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 08 December 2013 - 22:45

As an FM2-n owner I would like to own one for it's additional features, but cannot justify the expense.  If the price drops and b/w film is still available, I will.

#14 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,383 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 11 December 2013 - 19:42

As an FM2-n owner I would like to own one for it's additional features, but cannot justify the expense.  If the price drops and b/w film is still available, I will.

Well ... what would you consider a fair price for a 2nd hand one? I have one and am ready to sell it. PM me if you're interested, i can send pictures.

HansC, doin' life

#15 Danulon

Danulon

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVienna/ Austria

Posted 22 January 2014 - 22:25

Like it very much. Very convenient size in comparison to modern full frame DSLRs. Purchased a used 1 1/2 years ago. Took some really neat b/w photos with it in the meantime. Love to use it with the Voigtländer 40 mm 2.0 pancake lens.

Apart from manual focus also well suited for quick photos using Priority Mode.

Actually use it more often than my up to then preferred film camera, the F100 which resembles modern style DSLRs more closely. 

Edited by Danulon, 22 January 2014 - 22:26 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.