The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon FE2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:49

What is your opinion of the Nikon FE2? This topic will be indexed on our CAMERAS page.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:29

As far as classics go this one probably won't attract too much attention from collectors mainly because it uses an electronically controlled shutter and features Aperture priority automation (enough to make the mechanical purists shake their fists in protest - how dare Nikon make a camera that looks like an FM2 but needs batteries to function!).

The FE2 was one of the first "old" Nikon SLR's I ever bought and it looks and feels identical to the FM2. Apart from the electronics inside it, the main difference between it and the FM2 is the match needle metering it uses inside the finder. I didn't like it. It was really difficult to see the needles in a dim scene and whilst you can use A mode to get a correct exposure, if you can't see your shutter speeds in low light you're courting disaster. Try chimping at the back of a film door to see if you got the shot!

Other than that it is classic in design and provided you can get past the metering drawback in low light you should enjoy it.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 substar

substar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 22 November 2007 - 17:00

Awww Dallas :-(  You gave my baby a rather scathing going-over there!!

I started out with the FE as my first SLR in the early 80's and soon progressed to the FE2, a body which I still have in my cupboard, though I cannot remember when last I put a roll of film through it.

I have always loved it; I cut my photographic teeth on it, so to speak - and it accompanied me on many hiking adventures, in moist and humid areas etc and never let me down.  I have a screw-on diopter and a variety of focusing screens and it's a cool black body and I doubt I'll ever part with it, even if I never 'use' it again :-)

"Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!" Eleanor Rooseveld

#4 Derrel

Derrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 00:50

I used FE-2's for about 15 years,almost always with MD-12 motor drive units attached. I loved the 1/250 flash synch, and the TTL flash metering with the SB-16 was soooo cool 'back in the day'; when the F3HP was king, its slow 1/80 sec flash synch was horrible for synchro-sun flash work,and so the FE-2 was always a much,much handier camera for flash in sunlight (think outdoor weddings). The camera's viewfinder is not the best for eyeglass wearers, but its easy to use match-needle metering and good ergonomics made it my absolute favorite Nikon until the D1 hit the market.
    I shot a fair number of college newspaper assignments with the FE-2 model in the 1980's,and many other gigs,and always found it a pleasure to use. It was,in most ways, the best and most-versatile Nikon of the 1980's,especially if one wanted to shoot flash at higher speeds to prevent ghosting. I still have one,and its MD-12 motor drive. I liked the grid-lined "E" viewfinder screen for most uses, but also used the K-screen for five years or so. Very durable, my FE-2 still shoots well,and unlike most mechanical cameras of the era, it has _accurate_ slow speeds. The FE-2 is also fantastic at night-time exposure determination,using f/5.6 or f/8, the camera will accurately time out night exposures that are MUCH longer than stated in the spec sheets. A classic indeed.
--
Happy Shooting!
Derrel
http://www.pbase.com/derrel

#5 Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRoyal Oak, Michigan

Posted 22 January 2008 - 21:58

I have or have had (besides the FE2) an N65, N80, F100, F4, D40, D80.

In terms of sheer engineering excellence and build quality, the FE2 is my all time favorite. It's my standard by which the others are judged.
Manufacturing engineer by day, musician at night, philosopher by training.

#6 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,623 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:10

Bought one second hand in the late '90's as a backup for the F4, so of course it was never needed. However it did a great job of flattening its batteries without even being switched on, and its default "dead-man's" manual shutter speed of 1/250 sec just sucked. Batteries go dead in cold weather, which is generally when there's not much light, which is for sure when you won't be looking for 1/250 as a usable shutter speed.....

#7 Clay

Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMinden Hills, Ontario

Posted 18 April 2009 - 13:56

The FE2 is a nice light camera. My only complaint is that the A.I. tab is fixed and
cannot be flipped out of the way as on an FE. Can't mount non-A.I. lenses like
my Vivatar or mount my Novoflex non-A.I. bellows.

Best regards,

/Clay
If its not in focus, call it 'Art'.

#8 w8btm@cinci.rr.com

w8btm@cinci.rr.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCincinnati,OH

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:18

I have the FE2 & FM2
and I think both are classics.
I have the MD-12 motor drive units on both of mine , what I like about
the FE2 is the TTL Flash , this is nice for macro work or wild life 
"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.