The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon FM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,170 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:44

What is your opinion of the Nikon FM? This topic will be indexed on our CAMERAS page.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 nimix

nimix

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 218 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 November 2007 - 20:33

The FM was my first Nikon. After 1 year Canon A1 in 1980 I switched to Nikon after the electronic miracle machine Canon A1 broke after falling down on a concrete stair.
With the manual FM I learned the essentials of photography. It's successor FM2 was my number one choice Nikon camera until I switched to digital.
I also had a F3, 2 F2AS, 2 F2A and an F4, but FM and FM2 are my favourite Nikons ever made.
Nowadays I wouldn't use film anymore, but I still miss a digital camera that is as tough, versatile and small as my FM(2) was.

nimix

Edited by nimix, 06 January 2012 - 03:21 .

#3 mycom

mycom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:15

The FM was my second Nikon body, bought in 1978 - it was my main workhorse for more than 20 years and never let me down, battery lasted forever. It's been retired for 3 years now and sitting on the shelf just collecting dust  :(  probably passing it on to my grandchildren..

I'm still shocked when I pick it up now and compare the huge VF with my digital bodies ...- (no D3 yet)
Joe
preferring primes over zooms and manual over auto

#4 James Fitzgerald

James Fitzgerald

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:21

My first Nikon. Purchased in 78-79 ? (still in use sort of... pulled it out of the bag after about two years,  batteries still good!!)

Had a hard time with with the histograms though...kept looking, and all I could see was an old box top of Plus-X :)

#5 Bill V

Bill V

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthWest Ohio

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:14

The FM was my first Nikon (I moved from the Pentax SP around 1978).  It is small, light, easy to focus and a good meter.  The FM series has progressed through the FE2, FM2, FM2n and FM3a.  All progressively better than the one before it, however, the original FM, although no longer used, is still in my possession (even after several years use by my daughter).  I currently use the FM3a from time to time due to its small size and light weight.  It is a good travel camera when I want to shoot film.
Enjoy the Light

#6 STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:56

The FM we had was a very reliable, strong camera, accurate meter, nice to have the compatibility with pre-AI lenses. 

#7 grizzly

grizzly
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 00:50

Great little camera--makes a nice light little package with my 1965 vintage 50mm Nikkor-H!

#8 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:08

Good camera in a neat package, but it's the only Nikon of which I have worn out the shutter. In fact, on two of them. So I dropped the FM/FMx series and returned to my F2 Titan, then F4 followed by F5, before I ditched film and went all digital.
Bjørn

#9 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:56

Good camera in a neat package, but it's the only Nikon of which I have worn out the shutter. In fact, on two of them. So I dropped the FM/FMx series and returned to my F2 Titan, then F4 followed by F5, before I ditched film and went all digital.

Interesting to hear. I bought a used FM for my wife. Id did not take a very long time until the shutter was worn out as well. So I took it back (store it for a special project based on a yet to come lens with a central shutter and gave her my FE2 instead. No problems like that with the FM2 so far, so probably these experiences should not be immediately transferred to the whole FMx series. The FM was the only Nikon using Ga As cells for the lightmeter (reported to react faster than Si but Nikon was not satisfied with their spectral sensitivity so the FM remained the only one. The LEDs in the finder were lacking the more advanced -0+ scheme the FM2 and the F2AS had as well.
Wolfgang

#10 rbsinto

rbsinto

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 952 posts
  • LocationThornhill Ontario Canada. Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto

Posted 23 June 2011 - 18:29

I only recently started using an FM after I was given two by people who went Digital and just didn't know what else to do with them.
I had one customized by having a matte screen installed and added a brand new MD-12 for about $25.00.
The camera has all the features I require, including the red LED exposure readout, that I prefer to the FE/FE-2 match needle, and is rugged and reliable.
Not sophisticated by the standards of today, but nevetheless, simply a good, basic picture-taking machine.
I shoot film. That's film. F...i....l....m. You remember film don't you? It was in all the papers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.