35 replies to this topic

#21 dpowell

dpowell

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 January 2008 - 20:44

I got a D70 late last year to convert to IR.  While waiting for the new filter to arrive from the US though, I took it out shooting a few times, and really, really liked it.  Now that it's converted, I'm keen to pick up another one for the glovebox, or just to carry around as a day to day camera, especially now that it's a few generations old and can be had very cheaply.  Produces great images for a cheap, with "only" 6 megapixels.  Battery life is great too - went much longer than my D200 ever did!
"Man cannot discover new oceans, until he has courage to lose sight of the shore."

#22 STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:06

My wife is the primary user of our D70s, she's an accomplished shooter with a better eye than mine.  She is more comfortable with it than with our D200, lighter and fits better in her hands. She was reluctant to give up her Pentax LX, she'd had it for many years and was quite good with it, but she has adapted well to the D70s. Our experience is similar to what Bjorn and others have described.  The AF system has worked well for my wife, and we've been very pleased with the accuracy of the meter.  Our only major wish is that Nikon would have made it possible to meter with MF lenses.

#23 dpowell

dpowell

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:40

Shot at the Olympics today with my D70s.  Wasn't game to try and get my D3 in, as I'd read elsewhere pro DSLRs weren't being allowed in, but after going in discovered quite a few people inside had D3's/D700's or canon equivalents.  I'm off to see the mens 100m final tomorrow night, so the D3 will be getting a workout then.

This is Australian athlete Tamsyn Lewis (in front), about to be overtaken by several other competitors.  She came 4th in this heat, but ran a fast enough time to qualify through to the next round.  The lens used was a Sigma 150mm 2.8 HSM macro.

dpowell.

Attached Images

• tamsyn lewis.jpg

"Man cannot discover new oceans, until he has courage to lose sight of the shore."

#24 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,177 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:46

Wow, that's pretty sharp, but the bokeh ain't so pretty.

Sadly I have not watched a single second of this Olympic Games.

Support Fotozones:  

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#25 dpowell

dpowell

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:42

Dallas, the lens was stopped down a little, so bokeh wasn't as smooth as it could have been.  I also sharpened the image a bit, which would make it look a little more harsh also.

David.

#26 Mike G

Mike G

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,971 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 August 2008 - 18:31

Dallas,

My first serious DSLR was a D70s, from which i thought I got cracking pictures. The kit lens was the 18-70mm.
I thought it was a super camera, and as it turned out it was sharper than the D200 I traded it for. In less than one month I had a body refuse to flash, this was replaced by the retailer no questions, the second body performed brilliantly although it felt a little "plasticky" in construction, but it took a cracking picture :D

It was eventually traded for a D200 with which I was never comfortable with, can't put a finger on why but it never felt right, quite soft was one of the reasons. So in it's turn that was traded for a D300 with which at the moment I am well happy. ;D I might if a alloy version could be made, I could well be tempted to go back to a D70s! 8)

Mike
Mike Gorman
My interview thread :- this link

#27 nikonfreak

nikonfreak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in holland

Posted 27 March 2009 - 19:19

although it is a old thread i sill use, luve hug cuddle and use my d70 ;D it is a big bigger has ome features the d50 doesn't have but in iso performance the D50 is far better .

i do not use it every day but as much as i can.. ;D
Nikon stuff ;-)

#28 percafluvialitis

percafluvialitis

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 21:53

Still use and love mine, wonderful compact size with full manual control for every feature I need. Excellent inexpensive body in manual mode, but when set to automatic the AF points are too big, AWB is calibrated for about 4000K (above that: too cold, below that: too warm) and the matrix metering is too conservative.

Set WB manually, if you use matrix metering then EV compensate plus one or two thirds and beware of the cross-hair focus points. Hard to  beat the price/quality ratio of this body today, no reason to sell it if you own it.
Vilhelm

#29 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,631 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:58

My first digital I bought to start the progression from film, and which I used alongside the Hasselblads and F4 to start weening clients off film.

The first one suffered the BGLOD after two days, so it was replaced with a brand new one. That the settings, time, place (New York) etc had all been set differently from default when I got it made me think that the first body had done time at a trade fair or some such and was re-boxed and dumped in Australia (we get a lot of that crap happening here).

Until demand for digital from clients made the replacement D70s in need of replacement by a more capable camera (D2x), it performed without a hitch, never breaking or failing to come up with what was asked from it.

#30 arthurking83

arthurking83

A royal pain in the ass

• Life Member
  • 946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:46

I still have mine, bequeathed to my (then) 7 and a bit year old son. He's now about to turn 9 and from day one, he's taken to it like a duck to water.
He loves it and while I was reluctant to allow him to use any lens, I have less fear about it now as he's shown a lot of maturity with it(ie. no needless breaking of things :D)
His favoured lens ATM is the Tammy 28-75/2.8, which I always used to find less than satisfying.

As everyone else has said, and endearing camera that was just about perfect.
Mup mode would have been great(or exposure delay), and a brighter viewfinder.

They are really about the only reasons I wanted to update to a Dxxx body(D300 at the time) but most of my favourite images were captured with the D70s.

... a few drops of epoxy glue will put the slider to the "minimum aperture detected" position.

I'm curious to know what specific slider Bjorn is referring about that EE message(which I also hate)

anyhow, a great camera that is still capable even against today's uber pixel bodies.

mine still comes with me everywhere I go.

#31 Fredrik

Fredrik

Present

• Life Member
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationFusa, Norway

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:25

I exchanged my D70s for a D2h today  :-[
It will be missed.
..even the voices in my head wonder why they still hang out with me.

#32 Stefan-G

Stefan-G
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 08 February 2012 - 00:13

I'm curious to know what specific slider Bjorn is referring about that EE message(which I also hate)

In case anybody finds this old thread (like me right now :hi:) and wonders: the 'EE' slider is at about 8 o'clock, looking at the D70 body from the front. AI and later lenses (with an aperture ring; not G type lenses) have a protrusion/ledge on the aperture ring that contacts this switch when the lens is set to minimum aperture.

The D70 is still my favourite (and only) DSLR, most often found with my 80-200/2.8 AF push-pull Nikkor (even older than the D70). But that might change, as I'm currently converting a bunch of (yet older) MF Nikkors for metering with the D70 (using 'Dandelion' G-type chips).

#33 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 677 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 12 February 2012 - 16:02

D70 was my first DSLR. I had been shooting film with Canon FD gear since early 70's and when it was time to switch to digital in 2004, the D70 was released. I tested the Canon alternatives as well but the D70 seemed to be the way to go (big enough for my hands, IQ optimal for the cost and all the buttons in the correct place). I've never looked back to that decision.

The D70 was (and still is) a fine camera. It is a low weight travel companion. 6MP sensor allowed me to use light weight, lower cost lenses. Digital shutter allowed to use high flash sync speeds. Two issues were missing: mirror lock-up and weather sealing. Third issue was very limited use of MF lenses.

Later on I got a D200 and switched to FX with a D3 (and replaced several lenses during that path). I still have all the three bodies though. First the D70 served as a backup body for the D200 (or a light weight travel body) but now the D200 has its place my in my travel kit. Oddly enough even the original D70 batteries have survived. I charge them twice a year. The D70 has also served as an "introductory vehicle" for some of my buddies - the two who have lent it for a couple days have bought Nikon gear.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#34 thor55

thor55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationLelystad, Flevoland

Posted 01 April 2012 - 20:53

My dad passed away in august 2007, and had bought a D70 just in late 2006, to compete with all his spouse who were, and still are, Canon-shooters. I used an Olympic C750 prosumer cam by then, and my family decided, I was to get his D70.
And I was in tears to hold this beautiful cam the first time. When I started using it a while later, I fell in love with the ease of use, and great pictures it was capable of.
My old man had a 28-200 zoom with it, in stead of the 18-70, for the longer reach on portrait shooting he loved to do at parties.

I can only say it surprised me, but was a bit disappointed by the amount of dust it can collect. Further more I had the chance to get a D300s in 2010, so now my wife is using the old D70. It will of course never leave the family...
Nikon D300s - Nikkor & Samyang Glasswork  - Nikon SB600 Thor's Pbase Photo Space

#35 danielm46

danielm46

• Subscriber
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 20 May 2012 - 13:28

The Nikon D70S has been my first DSLR as for many Nikon enthusiasms of this excellent forum. The AFS 18-70mm kit lens was also part of this success partly because of the new versatility and the quality of the product.

At the time the Nikon D70S was available the model was representing the best price-value option and the 6mp image captor was delivery very good results although its best technical interpretation will be obtain later with the Nikon D40 model.

The camera was very flexible and it was a real pleasure to use it on the ground. It inherits from part of the SLR Nikon F80 linage except for the narrowed penta-mirror viewfinder, which you have to adapt to the tunnel view.

Here is a small visual collage of the Nikon D70S skill:

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Photos Daniel Marchand / Nikon D70S & AFS 18-70mm
F, F2A, F3, F4S, F5 ... I have loved them all and today I am still a Nikon user for the best and the ...
Nikon has a special photo signature that has and still match to my vision of the world even today.

http://photodanielm.blogspot.ca

#36 Fish_Shooter

Fish_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 173 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 May 2012 - 22:24

I really like my D70 and still use it. I got it to back up my D1x. I only wish I could use it with my MF lenses.

I used (past tense, now a dead camera) my D70 with manual focus lenses (Ai, Ais, even an adapted Leica 400mm Visoflex lens). No meter, no problem.
So: 1. Guess the exposure or use a hand-held meter. 2. Shoot. 3. Chimp. 4. Change exposure if needed, and re-shoot.
a multiple-decade Nikon shooter; cameras from Nikon F to D2x, Nikonos I to RS, Nikkor lenses from 10.5 to 1200mm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.