The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D100 DSLR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:07

What is your opinion of the Nikon D100? Please keep your comments related to your experiences with the camera. This thread will be indexed on our equipment pages.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 GeoKost

GeoKost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMount Ida, Arkansas

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:36

One workhorse of a camera.  Good build, light weight.  Not for fast action as the buffer is not that large.

George  ***Having fun***  Go Razorbacks!!! Love them HOGS, Woooo, Pig, Soooooie!!!

http://www.pbase.com/geokost

NIKON D2x  NIKON D200

#3 sstrembicki

sstrembicki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis, Missouri

Posted 24 December 2007 - 16:03

I think its a fine camera, at the right price. I think an Apple G4 is a fine computer, at the right price. What are you expectations? I am starting to believe that DSLR's are really not cameras, but computers with lenses attached to them that we look thru. Having said that, an Apple G4 was a really fine computer 7 years ago, but compared to my new Intel Mac Pro, its a bit of a slug with a lot of limitations.

I recently went back into my files and found some images made with a D100 i once owned. I was surprised by how much noise the files had in them (even at iso 100) and do not remember complaining about it then, I think we just adjusted to the limitations of the gear. Compared to my D2x or my D3, the D100 images are really noisy, but beck then, it seems ok. How do you feel about that?

My advice, unless you get a smokin' deal on this D100, you'd be better off with a D40.

#4 Inukshuk

Inukshuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationVerdun, Qc, Canada

Posted 29 December 2007 - 00:30

I had one for 1.5 years and loved it. If you can get one for a very good price go for it. Otherwise you'd be better getting a newer technology even paying a bit extra so you don't loose out on the long run. Now because of newer models coming out you could get a used D200 for a good price and have a heck of a nice camera.
Andr´┐Ż

http://inukshuk.smugmug.com/

Nikon D200, Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC, 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM, APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG/HSM, 200-500mm VR, EX Apo Tele Converter 1.4x-2x, Nikkor 18-200 VR,50mm f/1.4D, 85mm f/1.8D, Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24 f/4, AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 D Macro, AT-X Pro 28-80 f/2.8, SB800 Flash, Battery Grip etc.
I'm Addicted

#5 Baywing

Baywing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 February 2008 - 15:58

My first DSLR, the D100 is very capable, but not as a point and shoot.  It takes a good PP routine to wring the best this camera can offer out of it.  I always shot at low ISO, and never noticed excessive grain, at least by the standards in place at the time.  I still have mine for IR work, it's the only one I have that will do IR with a filter.  Can't bring myself to modify it, and up until recently, it was the number 1 (read only!) back up to the D2x.
Galleries at:  www.pbase.com/baywing 

I may not know much about art, but I know what I like--John Cleese, Monty Python

#6 fks

fks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 23:49

this was a replacement for my D1. the added resolution was a big plus, along with the cleaner high ISO's and long exposure noise reduction mode. the built-in flash was another plus, along with the autoexposure with flash and AI lenses.

AF was so-so compared to the D1, but better than the N90. the lack of metering (other than with flash) with AI lenses was a disappointment.

drawbacks are the incredibly small buffer (always ran into the limit shooting action), and the loose fit with the MB-D100.

a groundbreaking effort by nikon due to its low price when it was released.

ricky

#7 Guest_Royzone#1_*

Guest_Royzone#1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2009 - 20:56

I still keep my D100 with me on road trips as a back up for now. This is a great camera and it keeps on going . It hasn't always been treated as nice as it is right now and it never let me down. I shot some pic's with my new 70-200 VR G Zoom and they are still great . Noise can be corrected as with most other things now with some P.P., and they look great. I sold a lot of my work with the D100 and still have requests for the images from 2005. The grip is no different than the D300 or D700,,they are lose but with mine I added a thin strip of electrical tape to the bottom and fixed the problem.
The biggest drawbacks were the sluggish 3 frames per second shooting action and the buffer always full( what a pain) and the 1.8 inch Screen and I couldn't use my AIS lenses with it or had to bracket,,
This was the first camera I owned with a pop up flash built in. I didn't use it at first but a few months later it couldn't do without it and for fill flash it came in real handy. I sometimes find myself trying to get the flash up on my D2Xs,,that's how handy it was for me.

#8 risling

risling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:41

I still have my D100 as a backup and second house. Some friends think I have upgraded - what they don't know is that I run all pictures through DXO Pro before doing anything else. OK, for that camera DXO is limited to JPEG support, but at times it is absolutely enough

#9 risling

risling

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:39

I still have my D100 as a backup and second house. Some friends think I have upgraded - what they don't know is that I run all pictures through DXO Pro before doing anything else. OK, for that camera DXO is limited to JPEG support, but at times it is absolutely enough

This could be my description - I do exactly the same, and have got the same feedback :) I also do my final sharpening with Fred Miranda's plugin for the D100.

The normal tendency for underexposure is easy to cure - I have my compensation as "default" on +0,3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.