The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D2H Pro DSLR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,171 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:03

What is your opinion of the Nikon D2H? Please keep your comments related to your experiences with the camera. This page will be indexed on our CAMERAS page.

View images taken with this camera by our members HERE.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,171 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 15 November 2007 - 17:02

We all know now that the mega-pixel hype is just that: hype. More does not necessarily mean better, or so eventually I came to realise when I first laid my hands on the D2H. I love the pictures I have been able to get with this old workhorse. They have a quality about them that I really like, even when shot at high ISO.

On a speed bench I don't think there is much more any photographer could want. The AF is really quick, even with older style AF lenses, plus you're getting up to 8 fps. There are cameras that are faster now but I really don't see the need for anything faster than 5 fps - and I often shoot action sports. My main reason for getting it was more to be able to use my collection of old MF lenses, most of which perform fairly well on the D2H. I also bought a split prism, manual focussing screen from www.virtualvillage.com for a mere $29 (some $70 less than the Katz Eye version). The screen comes from China and is fairly easy to install. Some people have reported having metering and focus accuracy issues with these after market screens, including the Katz, but I don't seem to be experiencing that.

The D2H is probably one of the best bargains available on the used DSLR market right now and if you are on a budget, want a good quality pro spec camera that is capable of metering with manual focus Nikkors, you can't do much better than the D2H.

This was shot at 1250 ISO using spot metering:

Posted Image

I have printed several copies of this image at A4 without any discernible loss in image quality. Using something like Genuine Fractals I am certain it could be printed a lot larger.
  • m-hermann likes this

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,096 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey

Posted 15 November 2007 - 17:25

A reminder that carrying an IR-Cut filter can be useful when shooting with the venerable D2H.
There were the occasional off-colour pinks, purples and blacks due to IR "contamination".

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#4 Guest_dCap_*

Guest_dCap_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:12

mmm, how can I sumarize what must be the best camera I've handled in 20 years.  Up there with (and beyond) the Bessa R2 and the RB67 ... here goes:

Well, I bought my first D2H as a 'back-up/second' body to my ex-D200.  Ex telling the tale.  I didn't pick the D200 up and use it in anger after the D2H and have since sold the D200.  It was a D200/D80 or D200/D2H decision that I strugled with, I made the right move.  There are about 10x a year I need 2x dSLRs for certain shoots.  Now its a D2H/D2H no brainer, and I'm shooting dual bodies most weekends now. 

Pros:  responce, build, layout, functionality, 8fps just in case you need it.  File sizes are easily manageable, I only shoot RAW.  Knowing the shutter is good for 150k ... there is NOTHING I cannot do with this tool that it can not do for me, it does what its told and changing settings is just a button or a dial away.  100% viewfinder.  DX crop.  You simply have to experience the responce time from shutter button press to the frame being taken, its like:  NOW!  As above:  bargain on the use market. 

Cons:  sure the LCD is a bit rubbish by today's standards, it flickers.  And the menus on the D200 are far better.  But I rarely venture into the LCD anyway.  Its a bit big and a bit heavy if you need a camera to carry around on a non-photo day, but worth the effort.  Um, oh, the LCD screen protector plastic things:  they are junk, a light breeze could remove them.  That's all. 

I didn't need 8fps, but I've used it quite a few times!  I have the CLow set to 3fps and that is my norm, but 8fps is there for that rare time when you want to catch something quick.  I've only ever shot it in RAW and have no plans to select jpg.

Printing/Editing ... well, I haven't owned a photo printer this century, I just don't understand why people print anyway - the internet is such a good gallery, so 4.? mega pixels is ooodles.  I edit in LR, kick out a TIF as a keeper, and a JPG as a net image. 

I've now got three of them!  I need two, I got the third last week as a spare/back-up, but I'm already planning to dedicate that one to MF use for a project next year, so I'll end up using all three regularily.  You gotta be big and strong to carry and use this camera though ...

#5 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 18 November 2007 - 15:33

I had the D2H a few years ago. It was a very nice camera and the image quality you could wrest from its "measly" 4 MPix really was excellent. Provided you did not err in the direction of underexposure, even 1600 ISO went off rather well and I sometimes ran it at 3200 (Hi-1) for strong, graphic b/w pictures. I had several double-page spread and front/back magazine pages printed from my D2H and never had an editor complain about the quality.

Since the D2H shares most of the features of the other "pro" level D1/D2-series, I won't repeat these again. Almost every imaginable feature is present. Just an oddity though: no GPS support. Why D2H lacked this whilst the predecessor D1H and the next model update, the D2Hs, had it, never became clear to me. The lack of GPS support, plus the fact that my D2H did not function well for my purposes as a backup camera for my D2X, led me to selling it and purchase a second D2X instead.

An interest sign of the times is that I now face a similar dilemma with D2X vs D3, should I try D2X as the backup for the D3, or will two D3 bodies be the better approach, or no D2X and D3 + a new "mega" D3 successor as a combination? Boy are these hard times.
  • m-hermann likes this
Bjørn

#6 quarks

quarks
  • Life Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 20:24

The D2H so far was my favorite DSLR, although I owned D2Xs and D200 at the same time. I just loved the results and of course the small size of the 4MPixel images. Because of that good experience I also bought a D2Hs.
Unfortunately when the D3 was announced I talked myself into selling my D2H. As soon as I sold it, I felt sorry. But the good thing is, I gave it to a friend and he loves it just like I did.
Even in the hype of D3/D300 I would still highly recommend a D2H, because I think it is the best camera you can get for the little money you have to pay for used one.

Regards
Marcus

Attached Images

• D2H_8269_NXraw_crop_web.jpg

• m-hermann likes this

#7 bikegod

bikegod

Working Photographer

• Life Member
  • 230 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 28 June 2011 - 22:11

Actually just found one on Craigslist, no charger, claimed it worked offered full refund if it didn't. A little stuffed.

$100 usd
slave to the wind...but at least I can choose my chains

#8 bikegod

bikegod

Working Photographer

• Life Member
  • 230 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:14

Sorry, meant to.say.a.little.scuffed but auto complete burned me again.
I travelled two hours to see and purchase this unit and was surprised at its condition. Apparently he didn't know what he had. Artist type was gifted it by a pro who didn't come back for it. Battery ran out of power and he didn't have the charger. Couldn't or wouldn't buy a charger, needed some cash so put it on Craigslist. I was the first to respond.
Missing sync and 10pin caps, but all lcd screens are scratch free. Mirror looks awesome. I'm awaiting a charger and new battery and lcd cover. Downloaded the user manual since it is a bit different than my 300. Would like to find a way to clean up or repaint the scuff marks.. I'll take a.shot or two of it and post. Maybe some before and after pix.

#9 bikegod

bikegod

Working Photographer

• Life Member
  • 230 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:02

A quick update on my D2H.
Did a sensor cleaning and invested in a lcd protector (which promptly got lost, apparently they don't like to stay on that model to well). My memory compartment door doesn't spring out like it should, but does open and latches back when done. Shutter has 28k clicks on it and I know why. This puppy is fast. I almost feel like I'm cheating on my 300 since I've had it out so much.
The front adjustment wheel is really sticky, but since most of my shots are vertical I almost forget about it. I am tempted to paint the rub marks, or even disassemble the cam and give it a makeover. However, I am having way too much fun with it. I was in the studio with a baby who just learned to walk. I ended up shooting on CH just so I could catch his expressions as they changed. The 4.1mp has been no problem in LR, just have more pix to cull.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.