The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The 180/2.8 surprises me...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank

Nikon Enthusiast

• Life Member
  • 455 posts
  • LocationN. California
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 11 August 2006 - 16:11

A few recent shots from the lake, all taken with the 180mm f/2.8 prime lens. I bought the 180 because of its size and image quality, but figured I'd still use my fast focusing 80-200/2.8 for nature photography. But I've found myself catching shots with the 180 that eluded me with the zoom. Maybe it's CAM1000 or the more powerful screw drive of the d200, or maybe I'm just more patient when I'm using a prime. But whatever the reason is, I'm loving it.

Never learned to share...
Posted Image

Champion diver...
Posted Image

Heading back to Canada (I wish)...
Posted Image

True love...
Posted Image

Wedding dress...
Posted Image
Warm regards,
Frank

#2 littlewing6283

littlewing6283

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:28

very ncie lens. ive considered giving up the 80-200 f2.5 af-s for it. I was thinkin of goign w/ a 180 f2.8 and 300f4 combo instead of 80-200

#3 cameraguy21773

cameraguy21773

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFrederick, Maryland USA

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:06

I've shed my 70-200 and now usually carry a 24-60/2.8, 105/2, 180/2.8, and 300/2.8.
regards
Mike Parker
Frederick, Maryland

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
--------------------------------------------
D2H | D1x (x2) | D70
Sigma EX 12-24/4.5-5.6 | Sigma EX 24-60/2.8 | AF-S Nikkor 24-85/3.5-4.5 | Sigma EX 28/1.8 | Sigma EX 50/2.8 Macro | AF Nikkor 105/2DC | Sigma EX 150/2.8 Macro | AF Nikkor 180/2.8D | AF Nikkor 300/2.8 | Sigma 400/5.6 Telemacro

#4 Guest_TonyBeach_*

Guest_TonyBeach_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:23

Nice shots Frank.

#5 GeoKost

GeoKost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMount Ida, Arkansas

Posted 12 August 2006 - 23:49

Nice shots there Uncle Frank. George.
George  ***Having fun***  Go Razorbacks!!! Love them HOGS, Woooo, Pig, Soooooie!!!

http://www.pbase.com/geokost

NIKON D2x  NIKON D200

#6 Tosh

Tosh

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew York
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:06

Frank, You're meeting all my high expectations for this lens/photographer combo. Nice shots! The image captioned "wedding dress" reminds me that this lens was initially obtained for your future son-in-law. Should I surmise by your spate of high quality 180 postings that you've found something else for him?
Glenn

Nikon DSLR, Olympus M4/3, Some Extremely Nice Glass and Half a Clue. ( ^_^)

#7 Guest_antares_*

Guest_antares_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:21

Frank, some very nice shots. I too just recently got this lens and I think its awesome! Probably the least talked about lens imho, wait till you try it with ext. tubes!!

#8 Steve S

Steve S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIN summers FL winters

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:21

That's not a bad effort for having just 180mm. Really like the "True love" pic. I do think you need to use at least -1.3 to -1.7 on the white bird shots, esp when taken when the sun's high in the sky, as they look to be pretty blown on my monitor.
Steve S

#9 Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank

Nikon Enthusiast

• Life Member
  • 455 posts
  • LocationN. California
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:37

That's not a bad effort for having just 180mm. Really like the "True love" pic.

Thanks, Steve.

I do think you need to use at least -1.3 to -1.7 on the white bird shots, esp when taken when the sun's high in the sky, as they look to be pretty blown on my monitor.

They look blown on everyone's monitor. But exposure compensation alone won't solve the problem, as the egret has very reflective white feathers. I need to be more patient, and shoot them when the sun isn't high in the sky.
Warm regards,
Frank

#10 P#039;Cola-Roy

P#039;Cola-Roy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 12:07

As usual Frank, a nice series of pictures. True love is just too cute!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.