#1 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 31 January 2013 - 00:46

Far from pretending to be a Photoshop expert, I do think I know more about it than most people do—evem here. At work when we a have printer on the phone they'll usually ask to conference me in. Well not me by name but “that dude that we don’t have to explain everything to.” :)

But one is never too old to learn. Normally we send work either to the printer and let them do the finishing, or we have ready-to-print material that doesn't require attention. With some work that needed to be rushed out today came the request please provide a bleed and crop marks.

Sure, no problem... except that I had one of those WTF moments where you discover that Photoshop has no provision for bleed. Yes, you can add crop marks to a print. But what is the f##ing point if you cannot specify a bleed?! I know, you can set up guides, and add them manually. This is not why I have software. It is supposed to do this kind of shit automatically when I ask it to.

I ended up preparing the document for print in Illustrator. Crop marks no problem. Was for one of the prints (a simple gradient with some words on it) the better choice anyway.

But really Photoshop? I can't specify a bleed?
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#2 Alan7140

Alan7140

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,634 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:17

I think Adobe expect you to export to InDesign for those post-process printing/layout indicators, Bart. Photoshop does have basic functions for layout and commercial printing work, but it's principal function is the processing and display printing of images.

#3 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:21

I guess, but it's not like I am asking for a lot here. And printing into the bleed is a pretty basic function, if Photoshop allows me to prepare material for professional use it should let me do so.

You can specify crop marks to be added to the print output. But what good are those if there's no bleed?
Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#4 Ann

Ann

Professional Photographer

• Life Member
  • 10,160 posts
  • LocationNew York State
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:02

Bart:

I have only just noticed this thread and am adding these comments in case others run into the same problem.

Just make your Photoshop image 0.125" larger (in most cases but check with your printer) on all sides.

Normally I submit a CMYK file (made to their specifications) which I lay out in InDesign to exact repro.-size plus Bleed; add any necessary Trim and Fold marks; and Export to a Press-quality PDF.

Photoshop is an image-editing program, not a Page Layout program but your use of Illustrator should work perfectly well too.

Also, all Vector and Type elements should be created and added in either InDesign or Illustrator … also in CMYK format.

Specify all colours in CMYK Pantone 4C Process form and NOT as "Spot Colours" — unless you are actually running additional Spot Colour plates.

Edited by Ann, 21 February 2013 - 04:06 .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knowledge, photoshop, print

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.