nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,384 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 29 January 2013 - 18:37

Nice but with room for improvement.

A few steps to the left would clear up the overlap in shapes between the tree and windmill #3.

You could easily increase contrast and simultaneously colour saturation to enhance the inherent graphic nature of the scene.

Plus point for using IR for making pictorial images.
Bjørn

#4 HansC

HansC

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 29 January 2013 - 20:06

Not that i could ever achieve such a result, but i tend to agree with Bjørn. Also, moving in slightly closer (while moving to the left) to increase the apparent distance between the two left hand wind mills.

Great image none=the-less!
HansC, doin' life

#5 Alaun

Alaun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBonn

Posted 30 January 2013 - 21:18

In Germany, due to the similarity of the poles of the wind mills and asparagus sticks, these wind farms are called "aspargus fields". That is the little story behind this picture, but I agree, not easy to realise for a not German tongue.

Fons, Bjørn and Hans, thank you for commenting!

Any part of an inch to the left would have pushed the tree/bush right in front of the wind mill (it is far closer, than the wind mills) This was the only possible position (with just the "touch"), were I also got the field in the front left some how to extend till the horizon. The only better position I would have liked, would have been from a ladder, to keep more track of the structure of the little "hills" (the landscape to the horizon was going uphill) (and it was part of a little training, to get the picture full frame without later cropping, running around with only one lens).

With the higher contrast: yes, that is an option (and I will give it a try!), but I had the feeling to support the intended subtle joke above, more subtle colors would fit better.

Werner

#6 Andrea B.

Andrea B.

Lost in the Desert

• Administrators
  • 11,034 posts
  • LocationNuovo Jersey
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 04 February 2013 - 17:21

I don't think I'd quibble about the tree too much. It does offer balance to the trees on the right which 'touch' the border as the lone tree on the left 'touches' the windmill. It is all the angles and diagonals in this scene which are so interesting.

I might see what happens if the background clouds are lightened a bit. Their rounded shapes along with the trees make for a nice soft freize along the horizon and in contrast to the other straight lines.

This is surely a cool scene to shoot again in the future and see what interesting compositions you can draw from it.

Andrea B.
UltravioletPhotography.com

#7 Alaun

Alaun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBonn

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:33

Thanks Andrea, comment appreciated!

Werner

0 user(s) are reading this topic