The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Fujinon 18-55mm zoom for X Pro cameras

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 29 January 2013 - 15:43

Has anyone used this lens? Would appreciate comments from any such people.

#2 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58

i have one arriving tomorrow and will let you know if it's a keeper. i would have preferred they made it longer - say 24-70 - since that's what the X system is REALLY lacking. but it's a useful range anyway and relatively fast. stay tuned.
http://photo.sfmthd.org/ [under construction]

#3 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:47

Thank you. I look forward to your comments. Although I already have the the 18 and 35, I am thinking that the zoom might be a good do-it-all travel lens.

#4 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:49

the 18-55 is a nice lens. well made, nice action to the rings.

i'm using it on the x-e1 and it runs a little counter to the purpose of the camera. it definitely transforms the setup from 'almost small enough to forget about' to 'i'm carrying a camera.'

here's the x-e1 with the 18 f/2 (and the fuji grip):

Posted Image

and the zoom:

Posted Image

a whole different situation. on the plus side, the hood is reversible and doesn't have the ridiculous plastic caps of the 18 and the 35. it's also plastic and not any nice in quality than a typical nikkor hood.

most important, of course, is the image quality. so far i don't find any fault with it.

i like the character of the out of focus rendering (this is at 55mm, f/4, and minimum focus distance which is the most 'bokeh' you're going to get out of the lens:

Posted Image

this is a distant, backlit subject snapped out our window this morning. no correction for vignetting although i did a levels adjustment to the foreground. no ghosts, no obvious CA.

Posted Image

it autofocuses faster than the 18 f/2 for sure, and probably faster than the 35 f/1.4 also, but i've had it hunt in low light. in bright light it's fairly snappy and eerily silent, which makes it seem faster than it is. this is at 35mm and f/4. the focus is dead on, the in-focus areas are tack sharp, i like the rendering of the oof areas and the transition is nice (take a look at the bottom of the window)

Posted Image

here it is at 18mm and f/4. it's not tack sharp, but it's pretty good and again totally free of obvious aberrations. the image is lacking texture - the precast concrete panels of the main subject read totally smooth when in fact they're fairly rough - but overall i'd say it's as good as the 18 f/2 is for my purposes. except, of course, only going to f/2.8. ;)

Posted Image

finally, it's the only lens for the x system with IS. i'd rate it about as effective as nikon's first generation of VR lenses. it's certainly not as effective as the latest ones - at least not in my hands - but it's a welcome addition. this shot at 55mm, f/4, and 1/15s is reasonably sharp. it's more effective at the kind of motion induced when the camera is level than when the camera is looking up, so the slight sofness here probably represents a worst case scenario for the system.

Posted Image

i picked up the lens for two reasons - 1. for times i don't want to carry two lenses (the 18 and the 35) and 2. because i really wish i had something longer than 35. if the x-e1 was my main rig, i'd have no doubts. given that the whole purpose of the x-e1 (and the reason i'm willing to accept the image quality and focus/battery/ergonomic tradeoffs compared to the d800e) is to be light and reasonably small, i have some doubts.
  • vivionm likes this

#5 vivionm

vivionm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:00

Thank you. Image quality seems fine. I take your point about size and weight, but, for travel, for me it would be better than carrying the 18 and the 35 and changing lenses all the time. I was going to buy the 60, but will buy the zoom instead.

#6 Luc de Schepper

Luc de Schepper

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationHolland

Posted 01 February 2013 - 13:58

I'm still tempted by the X-E1 as a camera for travel and holiday. It's one of three options. The second option is the new Fuji X20 compact camera as a replacement for my Panasonic LX3 to complement my Fuji X100, the third option is an Olympus MFT-camera with 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8. However, I handled the OM-D and didn't like it enough to buy and would like to wait for a new rangefinder style Olympus MFT camera with integrated viewfinder. I really could use the fast and precise autofocus of the Oly vs the Fuji. I'm also a lens nut and like fast, quality glass. As I've understood Olympus MFT lenses like the 12mm and 45mm are already very good wide open.

#7 Lars Hansen

Lars Hansen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 February 2013 - 14:42

PhotoZone published a review - sounds like a bargain if you buy it as a "kit-lens" .. quote: "The Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS may be the hottest reason to enter the Fuji system. It is amazingly sharp throughout the zoom and relevant aperture range. .."

http://www.photozone...83-fuji1855f284

#8 schwett

schwett

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:19

I'm still tempted by the X-E1 as a camera for travel and holiday. It's one of three options. The second option is the new Fuji X20 compact camera as a replacement for my Panasonic LX3 to complement my Fuji X100, the third option is an Olympus MFT-camera with 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8. However, I handled the OM-D and didn't like it enough to buy and would like to wait for a new rangefinder style Olympus MFT camera with integrated viewfinder. I really could use the fast and precise autofocus of the Oly vs the Fuji. I'm also a lens nut and like fast, quality glass. As I've understood Olympus MFT lenses like the 12mm and 45mm are already very good wide open.

I was sold by the interchangeable lenses, all of which are pretty good so far. The smaller a camera, the more often i will shoot mixed subjects, so autofocus is a must and relying on adapters with off brand lenses is a deal breaker. MFT has great choices here, and the X series is getting there. The X20 just doesn't do it for me because of the fairly unexciting fixed lens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.