The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

Nikon announces the 18-35 f/3.5-4.5, 800 f/5.6 and 1.25 TC

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:45

http://www.dpreview....D-Teleconverter

http://imaging.nikon...5g_ed/index.htm

Posted Image

I'm kind of excited about the new zoom as it's the perfect hiking companion with it's lightweight (385gr) and very nice ultra wide to 35mm zoom range, should work great in combination with a fast 50 or 60 macro for a versatile and lightweight hiking set.

Edited by Jan Anne, 29 January 2013 - 04:52 .

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#2 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,173 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:14

You want light weight hiking wide angle? Olympus OMD plus 9-18mm. ;)

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#3 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 647 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:34

You want light weight hiking wide angle? Olympus OMD plus 9-18mm. ;)

Light weight? Sure, go for that 800mm in the dpreview article Jan Anne linked to :)
Means you just need to hop out of the car, without hiking and you'll be able to take the same photos without the need to hike at all :P

I'm just kidding of course.
  • jramskov likes this

#4 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:37

I'm not ready yet to give up the optical viewfinder nor the FX format :D

If mirrorless goes FX I might have another looksee.

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#5 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:07

Having an FX mirrorless would kind of defeat the whole purpose of light weight. Compare the ridiculously over sized lenses of the NEX system to those of the m43 system and you'll begin to question the need for FX where m43 will do the job just as well without killing your shoulders and other tendons (I am still experiencing aches and pains from years of carrying heavy bags and rigs around).

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#6 danishmishra

danishmishra

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationBath, Somerset

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:09

The dedicated TC for 800mm looks very interesting. And 800mm has almost a flat line MTF!

Posted Image
Danish Mishra

#7 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:49

Very interesting looking TC that little 1.25, looks like the front element is more or less flush with the front bayonet...

Thanks for the heads up JA :)

#8 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:49

The 800/5.6 is designated "E". Does that mean that the aperture is electronically controlled, like on the PC-E lenses?

Edit: Same question applies, I guess, for the 1.25x TC.

Edited by bjornthun, 29 January 2013 - 09:50 .

Bjørn T

#9 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,964 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55

Having an FX mirrorless would kind of defeat the whole purpose of light weight. Compare the ridiculously over sized lenses of the NEX system to those of the m43 system and you'll begin to question the need for FX where m43 will do the job just as well without killing your shoulders and other tendons (I am still experiencing aches and pains from years of carrying heavy bags and rigs around).

Don't completely agree. The new 24 mpix Leica M shows that a mirrorless Nikon FX format the size of an FM2 is feasible. Use it with small fixed focals and you have something much more lightweight than D3/D4 series with f/2.8 pro zooms. Though that would be a great improvement, it won't beat m43 in the weight deparment. Nikon could do that at a much more favourable price than Leica will ever do.
  • yunfat likes this
Bjørn T

#10 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:01

So far as I'm aware, the new 800/5.6 is the first Nikkor lenses ever sold "for the public" that uses fluoride glass, except for the UV NIkkor 105/4.5.

Using the 800/5.6 with its dedicated teleconverter on a Nikon 1 body via FTI yeilds the FOV of the equiv. of 2700mm!

Edited by Akira, 29 January 2013 - 10:05 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#11 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:18

So far as I'm aware, the new 800/5.6 is the first Nikkor lenses ever sold "for the public" that uses fluoride glass, except for the UV NIkkor 105/4.5.

Guess Nikon has learnt from Canon's range of super teles which probably are the best.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#12 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,173 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:49

Apparently the new Sigma 120-300/2.8 has two FLD (flourite) elements in it as well as what they call a SLD element. Looks like things are getting interesting on the lens design front! :)

#13 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59

That would make a change (or not), because the 800VR is less heavy than the 600VR, has more reach and brings a dedicated TC.
Question is; should it be the birds lens? Well, from one very known bird photographer the 800 is very good but looses in versatility and weight vs the new long lenses (much lighter) from Canon. So, after these lighter ones comes out the 800 lost ground.

Knowing nothing more about it, I should say that the new 800VR will tear lost of hearts... :D

And be aware of what tripod to use with it...

Edited by PedroS, 29 January 2013 - 11:00 .

Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#14 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:23

Apparently the new Sigma 120-300/2.8 has two FLD (flourite) elements in it as well as what they call a SLD element. Looks like things are getting interesting on the lens design front! :)

Dallas this is interesting.
I though those who suggested the optics would be identical to the original version
were wrong, how else could they justify such a massive increase in price!
Hoping Sigma looks at their longer glass, most of which is well due an update.

As you say exciting times for sigma.

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#15 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:52

And be aware of what tripod to use with it...

Also, beware the flimsy tripod collar which our beloved Fierce Bear of the North would roar at. :devil:

Edited by Akira, 29 January 2013 - 11:59 .

#16 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,278 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57

Dallas, I would think the FLD is still a sort of SLD whose dispersion is "as low as that of fluoride". The glass used in the new 800/5.6 seems to genuine (tough artificial, of course) fluoride.

That said, it should be safe to say that the advanced technology makes these highly special glasses more common.

By the way, does the near perfect MTF chart suggest that it is diffraction limited?

Edited by Akira, 29 January 2013 - 12:01 .

#17 Fons Baerken

Fons Baerken

Advanced Member

• POTW Committee
  • 8,939 posts
  • LocationNederland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:24

the 800mm out of reach for me :prankster:
the 18-35 interesting maybe get rid of the 14-24

#18 davepaterson

davepaterson

Ex-photographer

• Life Member
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationKillin, Scotland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:16

the 800mm out of reach for me :prankster:
the 18-35 interesting maybe get rid of the 14-24

I have no need for the 800mm (thank Goodness - $12,000.00 saved!) but I will probably have to try the 18-35 in my search for a WA zoom which is sharp in the corners (I do not want a 14-24).
Dave Paterson

#19 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:19

Isn't the 16-35 AFS good enough?
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#20 Colin-M

Colin-M

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 29 January 2013 - 13:45

For anyone who hasn't already seen it, Leon Neal was given the new 800mm to try out last summer and published a number of examples from the London Olympics etc:
http://www.leonneal....=800mm&x=14&y=8

I can't find the original thread on his website and this one displays slightly strangely on my work browser. If you click on individual pictures, they display fine.
Colin
--------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/celidh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.