Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:59

DAL_3324-Edit.jpg
All images © Dallas Dahms
One of the biggest advantages of the micro four thirds system is that of its light weight. In my case being able to pack a camera and three lenses (covering the FX equivalent of 28-350mm) into a bag that is only slightly bigger than the standard issue bag my Nikon 24-70/2.8 zoom lens came with, has me feeling quite content with myself, borderline smug, in fact. The only disadvantage I have found with this lightweight system is that because it’s so light, good camera support becomes increasingly important, especially if you’re into using your lightweight kit for things like landscapes and architectural type shots where a tripod is essential.

My current m43 kit comprises two bodies, namely the Panasonic Lumix GF-1 and the amazing Olympus OM-D E-M5. I have three Panasonic lenses; the 14-45mm kit lens that came with the GF-1, a Panasonic 45-175mm that I bought as a lightweight telephoto carry around and my most recent acquisition was a Panasonic/Leica 45mm 2.8 Macro. Leaving out the GF-1 it all fits perfectly into a little Hama video camera bag I picked up brand new for under $25.

With my m43 kit nicely established I set out on a mission to try and find a small, but functional tripod and ballhead to match this system. My criteria were simple: it must be as light as possible without being flimsy and it must be very adaptable to my changing photographic needs (ie, adjustable leg angles to allow for getting down low to subjects).

The first thing I sought out was a reasonably priced set of carbon fibre tripod legs. Ideally I was looking for something that could extend to about 1.2m and would collapse to around 50cm. There are a number of options available to photographers, with Gitzo being the most obvious name when it comes to quality assurance. Manfrotto also make a few CF legs, but when I looked at the options available to me locally I didn’t see anything that suggested really small and light. I also found the asking prices quite exorbitant and not the kind of money I would spend on what is essentially my hobby photo kit (I don’t use it professionally).

Then I came across the Velbon Sherpa range of tripods. I saw the very reasonable price of the Sherpa CF-435 and my immediate thought was that it couldn’t possibly be any good at that price. I got hold of the local distributors and they very kindly sent me a sample, together with a Velbon fluid video head. The video head is actually very nice, but if you want to shoot something in portrait orientation you’ve either got to find a way to cheat the laws of physics and get your subject to hover parallel to the ground, or do the same for your tripod! I’m very happy with the Velbon CF-435 and will write a separate review of it soon.

DAL_3335-Edit.jpg
The lightweight rig: Olympus OM-D, Velbon Sherpa CF-435, Sunwayfoto Ballhead FB-28

Part two of my mission was therefore to find a good quality lightweight ballhead for the CF-435.

I already own a Kirk BH-3 ballhead that has served me well over the years and which has become permanently affixed to my Manfrotto 055C legs, but while it is the smaller of the two options Kirk offer, it can’t quite be considered lightweight weighing in at 538g. So the search was on!

As with all good searches the best place to start is right here at the Fotozones / Nikongear community, so I posted my question in a thread here a few weeks ago.
I received a lot of responses to that request and one of the companies that was suggested to me (by simato73) was Sunwayfoto. They are based in China and have been producing high quality ballheads for tripods since 2009, so they’re relatively new kids on the block.

In November last year they introduced the FB-28 ballhead to their range of products. This is a very small and lightweight ballhead and it was this particular product that I wanted to investigate feasibility of as a permanent partner for my Velbon CF-435. Sunwayfoto very kindly sent me a sample for evaluation on Fotozones/Nikongear.com.

DAL_3319-Edit.jpg
The Sunwayfoto FB-28

In The Flesh

The FB-28 arrived at my door via DHL shortly before New Year. I opened the box and was really surprised at just how small, solid and yet light this item was. It weighs a mere 200g, which is considerably lighter than the Kirk BH-3’s 538g heft.

DAL_3315-Edit.jpg
DAL_3328-Edit.jpg
Direct comparison between the Kirk BH-3 and Sunwayfoto FB-28

Like all good ballheads, the Sunwayfoto FB-28 uses the Arca-Swiss type dovetail clamping system, so if you have plates from any of the major manufacturers you won’t have any issues using those with this head.

It’s made from machined aluminium and has a very high grade finish. There is a single locking knob with machined grooves to aid with tightening and releasing. I like this a lot better than rubber and plastic grips that are usually found on locking knobs as rubber tends to wear and become grubby with continued use. However, this metallic grip might present a problem for those members who work in very cold climates where touching metal might not be as comfortable as synthetic material.

DAL_3327-Edit.jpg
Compared to my watch it's tiny!

The panning base has degrees painted on it in 5 degree increments up to 90 and then back down to zero. The numbers are partly blocked off by the locking knob, but you can still see the markings below that should you need to check off degrees through the whole 360deg range.

A nice feature of the quick release clamp is that it has a spirit level built in. This will get covered over as soon as the camera is mounted onto the base (see my product shot), but Sunwayfoto have put mounting holes on the three other sides of the QR plate where you can attach an accessory bubble level if you need to.

Using the FB-28

Unlike bigger ballheads, the FB-28 only has this single locking knob that also serves a double function as a tension controller. This has a few drawbacks, not least of which is that if you are planning on using the head to do quick panoramas, you’re not going to be able to swivel the camera around the panning base without compromising the level position of the camera you are using. Yes, if you are using the accessory bubble level and the degree markings this shouldn’t be a problem, but know that it is going to be slower than using a ballhead that has a separate clamping knob for panning.

The Velbon CF-435 has the advantage of having a circular centre extension arm, so if I loosen that I am able to pan the head without having to loosen the FB-28’s tension knob at all. Problem solved for me, at least.

DAL_3342-Edit.jpg
The whole package

For portrait oriented shots the FB-28 has a single notch cutaway. What I have found is that if I want to shoot in portrait orientation I have to clamp the Olympus OM-D to the right side of its base plate otherwise there is not enough clearance for it to avoid being impeded by the top of the tripod legs. This is likely to be the case with all tripod legs as this is a very compact ballhead - only 7cm high including the QR base plate. This isn't a problem if I extend the centre column of the tripod, but that's something I try to avoid if possible.

In The Field

The most important aspect of ballhead use is how well it holds your camera in position when you tighten the ball. I’m happy to report that with the little micro four thirds kit I own there are no issues with this at all. When you lock the FB-28 into position it stays there. The Sunwayfoto website claims that the FB-28 is capable of holding a 12kg load, but to be honest that’s pretty heavy and I think you’re definitely going to find the load shifting in the ballhead at that kind of weight, unless you have the physical ability of locking the tightening knob to the point where it simply can’t move any further to the right. It’s not something I’m going to try. The purpose of this ballhead for me is to support a small, lightweight m43 system, not a big heavy one.

If I loosen the locking knob slightly I can get enough friction to re-position the OM-D without it totally drooping out of its original position. The trick, of course, is to learn the feel of the FB-28 and know just how much you can slacken the tension without drooping occurring.

Conclusion

I can wholeheartedly recommend this ballhead as an excellent option for anybody who is looking to go light without too many compromises. It’s very nicely made and I don’t think there is anything quite as light as this on the market right now.

The only drawback I can find is it not having a separate panning tension knob, but this is a small price to pay for the advantage of an excellent ballhead that weighs 200g and stands only 7cm high. As I mentioned if you have a tripod with a circular centre column that drawback is obviated.

You can get the FB-28 from Amazon.com for only $109. Click here to buy it and help support Fotozones/Nikongear.com.

Attached Images

• DAL_3333-Edit.jpg

#2 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,856 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 18:40

Excellently informative review Dallas, quality accompanying photos also help
to illustrate the piece, nice job.
Thanks.

PS the Olympus is such a handsome looking bit of kit, looks like a proper camera of old! :)

Moose says " if you have a very expensive lens and you have a very cheap tripod, you're nuts"  

#3 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 18:45

Thank you, Tony. I hope to do many more reviews this year.

The Olympus OM-D is a special little camera. They really did a great job with it. Will be very interesting to see if they retain the old styling for the next version. I was torn between getting the all-black model or the silver/black one pictured here. I'm glad I got this one in the end.

#4 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,037 posts
  • LocationStavanger
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 22 January 2013 - 19:06

Good and informative review Dallas!
I received my FB-28 a couple of weeks ago and I can attest to your points made above.
Machina fotografica necesse est

#5 PedroS

PedroS

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 22 January 2013 - 20:18

Thanks for sharing Dallas.
I have several gear from them and I can say the quality is up to Markins.
Sunwayfoto is starting to be a serious contender.
Thanks
PedroS

www.pedrosfotografia.com

#6 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 4,769 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 23:46

It is interesting that the brand logo of Sanwayfoto is almost the same as the older log of "Japan Industry Standard" rotated 90 digrees clockwise. :D
http://ja.wikipedia....IS_mark_old.svg

Aside from that, the ballhead looks very promisitng. Japanese major manufacturers of photo accessories stubbornly refuse to use AS clamp. I have no idea for the reason. So, this is a good candidate. It seems to be sold for 109 USD plus shipping, and Japanese Amazon sells one for 11,800 JPY including shipping now, which is not too bad, considering that the RRS BH-25 of the same configuration is 145 USD plus shipping.

Dallas, thanks for the review!

Edited by Akira, 22 January 2013 - 23:46 .

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#7 Bart Willems

Bart Willems

Forum troglodyte

• Life Member
  • 3,011 posts
  • LocationElmwood Park, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:07

Great review Dallas, job well done on the images! Only far too often I see these kind of reviews with grainy iPhone pictures. The shoemaker's children wear the worst shoes, I guess...

Bart

Too much gear, not enough common sense!
Flickr and Zenfolio, too!

#8 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,037 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:20

I put the Gitzo/FB-28 combo on a scale and it tipped in at 1050 grams. I find this quite acceptable for a travel tripod.
The Gitzo by the way is hack saw customised with no height loss :D

#9 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 13:05

I put the Gitzo/FB-28 combo on a scale and it tipped in at 1050 grams. I find this quite acceptable for a travel tripod.
The Gitzo by the way is hack saw customised with no height loss :D

Photos please! :)

#10 Pa

Pa

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 228 posts
  • LocationSW Virginia, USA

Posted 23 January 2013 - 14:35

Thanks for posting, Dallas. I was unaware of this product when I purchased a RRS BH-25 to match my Gitzo 0531 ultralight CF tripod legs. While the RRS BH-25 is an excellent product, this Sunwayfoto looks even better, and at a significantly lower price. It is slightly lighter and yet is rated for a significantly heavier load. I'm tempted to buy one and compare it to the RRS model. Perhaps I could resell the one I like least!

#11 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 17:22

It's all credit to the great community here that I got to hear of this great little company and the products they make. I see they also make flashlight products under the name Sunwayman. They look pretty good too.

#12 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,037 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 23 January 2013 - 19:25

Photos please! :)

Here ya go:

Attached Images

• GitzoFB-28.jpg

#13 helioer

helioer

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 451 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 January 2013 - 18:54

I have Sunway Photo clamps + plates and enjoy the product quality. No problems whatsoever in cold Finnish climate.

Erkki

D3s, D3, D200, D70
FX: Nikon 14-24/2.8G, 24-70/2.8G, 28/1.8G, 70-200/2.8G VR, 300/2.8G VR, 60/2.8D+105/2.8D micro, 85/1.4D, 16/2.8D, 50/1.4G, 500/8 reflex C, Sigma 8/3.5 EX, 12-24 EX, 150/2.8 OS EX...
TC: TC-14 E II, TC-17 E II, TC-20 E III
DX: 10.5/2.8, 18-70, 18-200
4*SB800's, R1C1 kit with 3*SB-R200, YN-622 kit (TX+4*RC)...

#14 Pa

Pa

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 18:08

Thanks for posting, Dallas. I was unaware of this product when I purchased a RRS BH-25 to match my Gitzo 0531 ultralight CF tripod legs. While the RRS BH-25 is an excellent product, this Sunwayfoto looks even better, and at a significantly lower price. It is slightly lighter and yet is rated for a significantly heavier load. I'm tempted to buy one and compare it to the RRS model. Perhaps I could resell the one I like least!

I'll have to amend this slightly. I rechecked, and my RRS BH-25 weighs 185gm vs. 200gm for the Sunwayfoto; a pretty insignificant difference, but the RRS is slightly lighter.

#15 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:35

I am shocked to discover that some webmasters have the gall to re-publish my entire article without permission on their own sites! Check this out: http://www.hedgechat...tag/sunwayfoto/ (and it's not even a photography site!).

#16 stenrasmussen

stenrasmussen

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 5,037 posts
  • LocationStavanger

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20

Bastards!!!

#17 willl

willl

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 629 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:54

Dallas: Looks like they are scraping content from a lot of different places.

Apparently they are some sort of social media stock analysis site, according to this profile: http://www.crunchbas...ny/hedgechatter

#18 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:07

I have sent them a take down notice. If I don't receive a positive response by the end of the week I shall embark on a little SEO project of my own involving the names of the site owners.

#19 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,739 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 18:40

They took it down and apologised to me via Facebook. Apparently they buy information from a syndicator and this somehow found its way into their systems. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

#20 Pa

Pa

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:25

I finally broke down and ordered one of these today. When it comes in I'll compare it to my RRS BH-25 and report back.

Part of what convinced me to try it is that the ball is 28 mm diameter (FB-28; get it?) whereas the RRS is less than 20mm. This translates to much more surface area to be gripped by the clamping mechanism, ergo, better support.

We'll see.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sunwayfoto, fb-28, ballhead, tripod, velbon cf-435

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users