The above adverts really do help Fotozones. Please click on them if they are relevant to you. Not seeing them? Just exclude Fotozones from your ad blocker. Thanks!

Photo
- - - - -

The Last Roll of Kodachrome

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RC51

RC51

LARGE MEMBER

• Life Member
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationENGLAND
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:09

National Geographic: The Last Roll of Kodachrome

!

Must see.... Enjoy!

Cheers
  • armando_m likes this
Bez

#2 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:16

Interesting. Still got two rolls of K25 in the fridge. Will probably never see K14 development. Was just too late.
Wolfgang

#3 Anthony

Anthony

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 16:48

Thanks for sharing.

#4 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 15 January 2013 - 17:31

Thank mercy that this horrible film now is gone for good.
  • Alan7140 likes this
Bjørn

#5 bjornthun

bjornthun

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,963 posts
  • LocationFredrikstad, Norway

Posted 15 January 2013 - 18:01

The name Kodak also brings back the horrible memory of the 110-format...
Bjørn T

#6 Longhiker

Longhiker

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 20:58

Velvia killed Kodachrome long before it went away.
There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams

#7 wildoat

wildoat

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 4,967 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 21:57

That was interesting.
As he moved onto portraits I thought he'd seek out Paul Simon, lol.

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

#8 Coreopsis

Coreopsis

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 349 posts
  • LocationSwansea, UK

Posted 15 January 2013 - 22:53

Thanks.
John

#9 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 15 January 2013 - 22:58

Never understood the Velvia boom due to its absolutely horrible rendering of green, but there were other Fujis
Kodak did not manage to establish remarkable Ektachrome films as well.
Now Fuji is the last still producing slide film. Complete "phase out" of slide film appears to be foreseeable.
Wolfgang

#10 Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:04

Thank mercy that this horrible film now is gone for good.

That cracks me up. You and I have gone round and round about this before. I loved Kodachrome and most of my color work, back in the early days, was done with Kodachrome 25 and 64. I think you must be colorblind, Bjorn.... :D

Edited by Rick Waldroup, 15 January 2013 - 23:05 .

#11 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 15 January 2013 - 23:07

I'm not. For me Kodachrome died in 1990, when I disproved Kodak's assertion no film could be sharper. Since then I haven't looked back except in anger.
Bjørn

#12 pluton

pluton

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA USA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59

I liked the 25. But it had to be a good batch. And Kodak controlled the color and contrast. When Kodak stopped developing it, that was the end.
Never liked the jacked up Fuji colors that became the fashion.
Things are better now....I control the color and contrast. I actually have created a few raw converter settings labelled "PKM".
Keith B.

#13 Dallas

Dallas

Fotozones Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,167 posts
  • LocationDurban, South Africa

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:56

A good advertisement for digital photography.

Clicking on an ad just once a day will help me tremendously with financing this site. 

You can also support the site by buying your gear from the affiliate advertisers below (use these links):

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama | B&HThinkTankPhoto | Digital REV | OWC 

Alternatively you can DONATE via PayPal (donor list)

Follow Me On: social-facebook-box-blue-icon.png social-twitter-box-blue-icon.png YouTube-icon.png google-icon.png 

#14 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:27

Yes indeed. And if we carefully maintain and backup our digital databases, we will avoid the aging procedures altering more ore less any film based images sooner or later. The other question is, how long will the NEF formats of the current cameras remain supported.
Wolfgang

#15 lenmil

lenmil

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:01

I liked K64 but then i started to move more to Fuji, the green colours were great.

Reminds me i have to get them scanned sometime.

Take the shot, you never know.

#16 Millirehm

Millirehm

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationVienna Austria

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:36

As far as I remember: My Fuji experiences were ambiguous: My first slide films used , terrible the typical Fuji green, switched to Kodachrome 64 then, tried the K200 (grainy like hell, hey we are using 1600 ISO now, remember what compromises these 400 and 800/1600 Ektachromes) was amazed by the very special Kodachrome 25, my favorite film at that time though too slow for moving subjects. Velvia came with yet the same Fuji-green plus the special poisonous Velvia touch you could usually see in one view when printed. Sensia was better in that respect and I turned to that as soon as service quality of Kodachrome went down. Sensia II and so on turned the green issue worse again.

On the other hand Kodachrome did not manage to establish any Ektachrome film with enough competitiveness against Fuji. One series with short running time followed by the next, and none was convincing, the plus versions, the Panters .... The Ektachrome 64 remained the most constant factor with continued demand over the year, requested high enough to ceise the planned phase out.

Kodachrome is seen very different here. No matter what opinion, it was a very unique technology with some advantages in terms of resolution, and it was definitely cult. Leica is living from cult, as well as the Lomo fostererd Lomographic societies and Polaroid was restarted in a private production line by a "private" initiative. But I was always wondering why Kodak was not giving a shit on his most culty asset, and did not develop it further. Standing still against innovative desighs is never a good idea -especially if good replacement products are provided by the competitors and not in-house.

Kodak evidently was so ignorant to do everything wrong they could do wrong, despite their assets, their initial leadership in digital imaging ...

Anyway just another few cents
Wolfgang

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.