#121 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Edit my pics?:Yes

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:42

I investigated a little bit the question of corner sharpness with the Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens.
So, I displayed a bunch of characters on my 30" Apple Cinema Display and took images of them with these systems:

Sony NEX-7 + Metabones E mount - L/R Speed Booster + Leitz Bellows II + Leitz 16558 Ring + Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens head and
Nikon D800E + Nikon F- Leica M Adapter + Leitz OUFRO/16469 Ring + Leitz Bellows II + Leitz 16558 Ring + Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 lens head

There is still some vignetting caused by the Speed Booster for the Tele-Elmar 135/4.
I have posted full resolution JPGs for f=4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, and 22.

The results for the APS-C size sensor NEX-7 with Speed Booster can be found here: http://winklers.smug...80573&k=45FGRnn
The results for the FF sensor D800E ....................................... can be found here: http://winklers.smug...75327&k=hGpDsxt

The shortest lens I could test with is a 90 mm Elmarit.
I wonder what results others have obtained with shorter lenses all the way to ultra wides.

With best regards, K-H.

#122 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_
  • Edit my pics?:Ask Me

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:04

The Nex7 and 135 4 looks really good except the far corners, and stopping down doesn't do anything in this regard, the SB is not designed/recommended for this type of lenses. choose another, shorter fl lens instead...

Looking forward to the wide angles...

#123 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 21 January 2013 - 13:42

Here is an interesting post on dpreview:

http://forums.dprevi...s/post/50705213

Best, K-H.

#124 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 21 January 2013 - 16:21

I have only Leica M lenses and Nikkor lenses with wide angles.
The latter require a different Speed Booster.
The former are not supported by any Speed Booster model, AFAIK.

Sorry. Best, K-H.

#125 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 16:49

http://www.eoshd.com...SHD (EOSHD.com)

#126 k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 17:42

http://www.lensrenta...agic#more-11888

#127 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:42

Yet another initial review of SB has been posted in Japan, but I would refrain from linking to it. It seems the reviewer don't really understand the concept of SB and his sample shots are boring and inappropreate.

FWIW, he uses the EOS to NEX mount version with EF 50/1.4, and M42 mount Jena Zeiss MC Flektogon 20/2.8. The camera is NEX-6.

The latter lens was used with Rayqual M42 to EOS mount adapter, and he reports that the lens couldn't achieve infinity focus with this combination.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#128 Jan Anne

Jan Anne

Noob

• Life Member
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 01 February 2013 - 15:08

DPReview had a look at the SB:
http://www.dpreview....s-speed-booster

Only the mediocre are always at their best....

My Flickr

#129 yfc008

yfc008
  • Life Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:26

The basic optical design of the Speed Booster actually works surprisingly well all the way down to f/0.7. Unfortunately, achieving this wouild require that we drastically enlarge the optical element closest to the lens. We could actually have made this work for the Canon 50mm f/1 lens to produce a 35mm f/0.70 system, but unfortunately this would have ruined compatibility with a large number of very desirable lenses, inluding many Nikkors. So we had to limit the output aperture to f/0.90.

Note that you can still use hyperfast lenses like the Canon 50/1.0 with the SB, but you will only get f/0.90 output.

The SB really has very little impact on bokeh. If you compare a photo taken on a Sony NEX + SP to a photo taken with the same lens without the SB on a fullframe camera the bokeh looks identical. There are slight effects at f/0.90 due to both the SB and to the sensor (see my post above), but at f/1 and slower there is virtually no bokeh change.

Hi Brian,

1) Having read the Speed Booster whitepaper I was very interested in using my Canon EF 50/1.0L at f0.7!! (Who wouldn't? :-)) and reading that the present unit is limited to f0.90 I am very intrigued by how so? ...to cut a long question short...please give me a clue so that my mind may be settled forever! Am glad that for the MTF improvement and 1/5stop faster performance for the price paid!...Would even dare ask if you could make a special version for f0.70 performance given the amount of interest and awe for the Zeiss 50mm f0.70!

2) Also I have found that the lens iris diaphragm for both the 50/1.0 and the 85/1.2II at f1.0 as indicated on the Nex-6 is already wide-open...Opening it to f0.90 was a simple exposure compensation of 1/3 stop being applied? This would be the reason for no bokeh change also?

Regards,
FC Yap

#130 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:35

Hi FC,

If f/0.9 is the limit, a speed booster may still help a bit even if one uses an f/1.0 lens if one stops down the lens a bit to get better performance, then use a speed booster to reach f/0.9?

Larry

Edited by Larry, 17 February 2013 - 07:36 .

#131 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway
  • Edit my pics?:No

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:30

From memory f/0.9 is 1/3 over f/1, so you could only stop down that f/1 to f/1.1. I wouldn't worry.

Brian has described the considerations why the limit is set to f/0.9. Basically the boost in speed comes from keeping the entrance pupil at is original size while focal length is shortened. However, you need to have sufficiently large elements, placed correctly, in order not to cut the ray bundle from the entrance pupil . Thus the design of the SB has to be a balanced compromise.
Bjørn

#132 yfc008

yfc008
  • Life Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 18 February 2013 - 00:24

Hi FC,

If f/0.9 is the limit, a speed booster may still help a bit even if one uses an f/1.0 lens if one stops down the lens a bit to get better performance, then use a speed booster to reach f/0.9?

Larry

From memory f/0.9 is 1/3 over f/1, so you could only stop down that f/1 to f/1.1. I wouldn't worry.

Brian has described the considerations why the limit is set to f/0.9. Basically the boost in speed comes from keeping the entrance pupil at is original size while focal length is shortened. However, you need to have sufficiently large elements, placed correctly, in order not to cut the ray bundle from the entrance pupil . Thus the design of the SB has to be a balanced compromise.

Thanks Larry and Bjorn for your reply,

I absolutely love using the Canon 50/1.0L at max. aperture all the time or at most f1.1. The other amazing thing about the Speed booster is that here before us now is an affordable path (By the way Canon charges more than a $1000 more for only a 1/3 stop faster lens - 50/1.2 vs 50/1.4) for a full 1 stop increase. How awesome is that?!!

To open my big mouth and ask for a version that would do a native f0.70 deserving of the Canon 50/1.0L as Brian has explained, which already is a technical reality, is not that ridiculous anymore I hope. Given that there are thousands of Canon 50/1.0L fans out there, if a special version could be brought through the manufacturing line, I would be the first to buy it even if lens compatibility are limited and it costs more!!(larger glass usually do..)

I am asking for something that is reminiscent of the Carl Zeiss 50mm 0.70...the awesomeness is just beyond words!! This is a technology well described in the Speed booster whitepaper! and to have it in our hands in this lifetime is just the biggest thing to happen! Come on Metabones!!

Cheers,
FC Yap

Edited by yfc008, 18 February 2013 - 06:04 .

#133 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 23:48

Ditto. I can't wait till Metabones releases an F-mount compatible version. Since I use both the NEX and m4.3, I will be fine with either. :D

#134 brianc1959

brianc1959

Advanced Member

• Subscriber
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:23

Thanks Larry and Bjorn for your reply,

I absolutely love using the Canon 50/1.0L at max. aperture all the time or at most f1.1. The other amazing thing about the Speed booster is that here before us now is an affordable path (By the way Canon charges more than a $1000 more for only a 1/3 stop faster lens - 50/1.2 vs 50/1.4) for a full 1 stop increase. How awesome is that?!!

To open my big mouth and ask for a version that would do a native f0.70 deserving of the Canon 50/1.0L as Brian has explained, which already is a technical reality, is not that ridiculous anymore I hope. Given that there are thousands of Canon 50/1.0L fans out there, if a special version could be brought through the manufacturing line, I would be the first to buy it even if lens compatibility are limited and it costs more!!(larger glass usually do..)

I am asking for something that is reminiscent of the Carl Zeiss 50mm 0.70...the awesomeness is just beyond words!! This is a technology well described in the Speed booster whitepaper! and to have it in our hands in this lifetime is just the biggest thing to happen! Come on Metabones!!

Cheers,
FC Yap

The Speed Booster optics can be opened up to f/0.7 if the front element diameter is increased from 32mm to about 42mm, and some of the rear elements up-sized by lesser amounts. Its physically possible to do this without running into negative edge thicknesses and the like. However, it would ruin the general-purpose nature of the adapter since a large number of lenses that are currently compatible would suddenly crash into the enlarged glass. Also, the current version just barely allows enough room for the electronics to fit around the optical cell, so doing a special f/0.70 version would really be an expensive undertaking. Also, I suspect that the 50/1.0 is one of those lenses with thousands of fans but only hundreds of owners.

Having said all the above, I agree that an f/0.7 Speed Booster would be a cool thing to do!
  • yfc008 likes this

#135 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:14

Thanks for noting the diameters!
Really nice work :)

#136 Larry

Larry

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:00

As per 43rumors, the Nikon F-mount (as well as Leica R, Contax C/Y, Contarex, ALPA and Rollei mount) to m4/3 SpeedBooster will be supported by March.

Edited by Larry, 21 February 2013 - 14:04 .

#137 EL_guest

EL_guest

Advanced Member

• Life Member
  • 6,446 posts
  • Location_

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:29

Exciting! Thanks :)

#138 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:40

I'm eagerly waiting for this as F=>m43 SB is the exact prescription I need. Let's see what the famous Coastal Optics APO f/4 can do with an SB kicking its rear end.
Bjørn

#139 Akira

Akira

Homo jezoensis

• Life Member
  • 5,280 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 14:51

A "flying dutchman from India" reports that SB can be used in UV below 340nm. :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

http://www.flickr.co...tos/akiraphoto/

#140 nfoto

nfoto

Fierce Bear of the North

• Administrators
  • 16,649 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 February 2013 - 15:39

So I'm told as well. My plans are for combining the Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens with the SB, as soon as it is available for F mount=>micro4/3. Giving the camera a double dose of Brian as it were.
Bjørn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Receive a FREE CAMERA BAG from Think Tank Photo

An appeal to all Fotozones visitors: please help me to keep this site going by starting your gear purchases using any one of the affiliate links shown below:

Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Adorama.com | thinkTank Photo | DigitalRev.com | OWC | B&H or Donate via PayPal

Starting your shopping here doesn't cost you anything more, but by using the links above (or any others found on the site) you are advising the affiliate that you support this website. This results in a small commission that helps with the running costs. If your preferred outlet isn't among those listed above you can also support the site by making a donation of any amount via PayPal (no PayPal account required). Any donation will be most appreciated.